Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Preprocessor directives not defined?

awa5114
Beginner

I am working on an Intel Visual Fortran solution provided to me by a third party. I am trying to gain a deeper understanding of how this solution is built. The .FOR files included within this solution, for several of them contain preprocessor directives such as #ifdef and #else. I understand vaguely what these preprocessors do (test for definition of a macro). I also understand that the tokens used must refer to a pre-existing macro generated using the directive #define. I cannot find this macro defined anywhere in my solution.

I also know that the definitions are somehow linked to the "Debug" and "Release" configuration set-up in Visual Studio, since the Macro names are such things as "Internal Debug" and "Internal Release". 

Where does visual fortran define its preprocessing macros? If it uses a provided construct within Microsoft Visual Studio, where is this construct and how can I manipulate it?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IanH
Black Belt

Preprocessor directives can also be defined for files within a project or individual files using the Fortran > Preprocessor > Preprocessor definitions property (assuming that the preprocessor has been enabled for a particular project or file).  This property is also available under Fortran > General > Preprocessor definitions.

awa5114
Beginner

Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out.