Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

Problem on get started - compilervars.csh doesn't work

puggioni__leonardo

Hello everybody.

I downloaded and installed intel parallel studio for LInux, I have Ubuntu 18.04 on my computer. After the installation, I tried to follow the instructions on the page https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-fortran-compiler-linux to initialize the Fortran and the C++ Compilers, but it doesn't work. When I enter " source compilervars.sh ia32|intel64" it tells me "intel64: command not found", and when I enter "source compilervars.csh ia32|intel64" it tells me syntax error at line 39 `    switch ( $argv[1] )', and also "intel64: command not found". Obviously I'm in the folder intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.0.166/linux/bin . if this procedure doesn't work i can't use compilers. I need help.

Sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
puggioni__leonardo

Also, if i write "source compilervars.sh intel64" (so, without the ia32), it tells me "WARNING: 'gcc' was not found".

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That article has an error. I will report that. In addition, the article is just badly written and is very confusing. I don't blame you a bit for having trouble with it.

Don't use "ia32|intel64". What the instructions want to say is that you pick one of those, either ia32 or intel64.

So...

source /opt/intel/compilervars.csh intel64

if you are using the C shell, or:

source /opt/intel/compilervars.sh intel64

if using the Bourne shell.

It is unlikely that you would want to choose is32 instead of intel64, but you can do so if you want. Note that this will probably require installing the 32-bt glibc libraries.

Please be aware that you also have to give the path to where compilervars.csh lives.

0 Kudos
puggioni__leonardo

I suspected that I only had to write intel64, but it keeps giving me error. If I use "source compilervars.sh intel64" it tells me "WARNING: 'gcc' was not found", if I use "source compilervars.csh intel64" it keeps telling me syntax error at line 39. I'm in the directory where compilervar.sh and compilervars.csh live. So I don't know how to solve this problem.

0 Kudos
puggioni__leonardo

Ok, the "gcc not found" was because i didn't have the gnu compiler. But the installation of gnu compiler didn't solve my problems. In the older versions of Intel Compilers there were similar problems, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20985272/problems-setting-environment-variables-for-intel-c-composer-gcc-not-found but i don't know which is the exact problem in 2020 version.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Does it still say gcc not found? Did you try a reinstall of the Intel product after installing gcc? I am surprised Intel Fortran installed at all without gcc present, unless you ignored a warning it gave you.

0 Kudos