Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28602 Discussions

Problem running Intel Visual Fortran 11.1 in Visual Studio 10.0

rogui
Beginner
Hi,

Up until recently, I was using my old Compaq Visual Fortran 95. Recently, my company purchased Intel Visual Fortran to be used with Visual Studio. Therefore, I installed the new Fortran compiler and Visual Studio 10.0, but nothing.

Somehow, I do have a Visual Studio 8.0 in which I do see my Fortran libraires and support through the Tools\\Options. I do see the Intel Fortran folder within my c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\ (who somehow calls out Visual Sutdio 8.0...). I can create a Fortran project just fine with my Visual Studio 8.0, but I cannot open already existing projects. I do not get the "convert to C++" window......

As for my Visual Studio 10.0, I do not see the Fortran in the Tools\\Options.

It seems my installation cannot instal Fortran into my Visual Studio 10.0.

Now, what do I do about it?

I keep reading on the web, but hte more I read, the more confused I get. I just want to open my old Fortran projects and re-compile them with the new compiler.

Thanks for you help.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I

There are two things that are the cause of this:

1) The 11.1 compiler did not support Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. Please see the latest 11.1 release notes for your platform for details. Our current compiler, 12.1 does support this version of Visual Studio. If you just purchased the product you should have access to 12.1. Note this release is now called Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE so there may be some confusion at registrationcenter.intel.com on which product to download.

2) Also you need to install our compiler after the the install for Microsoft Visual Studio. Our Integrated Development Environment (IDE) plugs into the Visual Studio during the compiler install.

------

Wendy

Attaching or including files in a post

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As the 11.1 compiler did not support the later VS2010, it installs its own copy of VS2008 Shell (which has no C++ support). As you saw, you don't get C++ interoperability within a single Visual Studio with this combination. In order to integrate ifort into VS2010, as you were advised, you should install a current ifort.
0 Kudos