Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

Problem running a Fortran app on Windows 11 Home edition

Kevin_McGrattan

We distribute a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) program written in Fortran and compiled with Intel Classic Fortran 2021.6.0 and Intel MPI 2021.6. Recently a teacher had his students install the program on their laptops and one student with Windows 11 Home could not get the program to run. The reported error was

Application error -- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).

After throwing that error, the command prompt had:

BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
RANK 0 PID16596 RUNNING AT (Computer Name)
EXIT STATUS: -1073741701 (c000007b)

The teacher also reported that there seemed to be a missing something related to MPI_GET_LIBRARY_VERSION_F08. 

Sorry that I am relating this all secondhand. My question is -- is there a known issue running oneAPI Fortran apps on Windows 11 Home edition?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ron_Green

@Kevin_McGrattan yes, even our new IFX compiler only produces binaries for Intel and compatible processors.

We keep system requirements HERE

If our support for other architectures changes we'll announce it in the System Requirements and Release Notes.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ron_Green

it appears to be an Intel MPI error message.  So that may be the problem.  You can compile a Hello World without MPI, move that hello.exe program over, and run that just to confirm that Fortran apps run ok on that host.

On the Win 11 system did you install the Compiler Runtime libs AND the Intel MPI Runtime libs?

0 Kudos
Kevin_McGrattan

Yes, we distribute the runtime libs, and in fact, this computer was able to run an older version of our program, from Aug 2020, which did not use the oneAPI compiler or libraries. I also learned that the computer has an MS SQ2 processor. I do recall in the past having trouble with the "home" edition of Windows because it lacks some libraries that we take for granted. 

I know I haven't given you enough info to solve the problem. My only question is whether there are known limitations of the OS or SQ2 processor. 

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

I see this in the Intel MPI Release Notes

• Single-process run with I_MPI_FABRICS=shm may lead to crash. Please use out-of-box settings or I_MPI_FABRICS=shm:ofi instead.
  • To use shared memory only and avoid network initialization on the single node, please explicitly set I_MPI_FABRICS=shm
0 Kudos
Kevin_McGrattan

I recall this issue of fabrics some time ago. Our user is trying to run a single process application like

mpiexec -n 1 -localonly <exe> <inputs>

Does the -localonly option automatically invoke shm?

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

the MS SQ2 processor is an ARM processor.  the binaries our compiler produces only run on Intel or compatible IA architecture

0 Kudos
Kevin_McGrattan

OK, that's what I was looking for. I recall running into this issue with the new Apple chips. Will this always be the case, even after migrating to the new Fortran compiler? 

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

@Kevin_McGrattan yes, even our new IFX compiler only produces binaries for Intel and compatible processors.

We keep system requirements HERE

If our support for other architectures changes we'll announce it in the System Requirements and Release Notes.  

0 Kudos