Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28702 Discussions

Problem with building "release" version

deeppow
Beginner
I'm working with a student in UK, I'm in US, and he is having problems building a release version of the code that I can build and run. I've sent him the complete folder (executable and all). When he builds he gets the following message:
"'bubbles_v15.exe': Loaded 'D:Ralph100-corrv15cubbles_testReleaseubbles_v15.exe', Binary was not built with debug information." I'm running the latest version of Intel Visual Fortran and using M$ Visual Studio.

Probably not hard to solve except we're far apart. Any suggests where he should look?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
He's not seeing that when he builds, but rather when he tries to start the program under the debugger.
0 Kudos
deeppow
Beginner
Thanks Steve.

I'm pointing the student at this thread, no need for me to get in the middle of the discussion. Another filter on the process is not what we need.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is a build log created called BuildLog.htm and it can be found in the Release (or Debug) folder. This will show most everything that happens during a build.

The particular message you quote is exactly what I would expect if you tried to start a Release-build executable under the debugger. If you want to run it from within VS without debugging, select Debug > Start without Debugging, or press CTRL-F5. The right-pointing green triangle ("Play" icon) is for starting with the debugger. For reasons I don't understand, MS removed from the default toolbar the button for start without debugging, but you can add it back with Tools > Customize.
0 Kudos
gattorognoso
Beginner

Thanks Steve.

The code now is building from release, even if it is not working, while the debug version was ok.

The next question is then: is it normal that the code works properly with debug, works with release, but doesnt work while starting release under the debugger?

Thanks again, antonio

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
What do you mean by "doesn't work"? In general, release build executables are not debuggable in that there is no debug symbol information available, so all you see is assembly. What problem are you seeing?
0 Kudos