Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Problem with ifort 2017 and 2018

juillet__olivier
Beginner

Dear colleague,

I am encountering a problem with the IFORT 2018 compiler when I run the attached program (that has been extracted from a much more sophisticated project). The array named Kinetic is incorrectly filled. The bug is fixed if I simply add write(*,*) px,py before the calculation of Kinetic(k) in the loop. This is not the case with the 2016 version of the compiler and I absolutely not understand what has become wrong. Such behavior has been highlighted on Mac OS 10.13 and Linux platforms. 

Many thanks for your help. Sincerely, O. Juillet. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

The newer ifort (v17, 18 , 19) is too aggressively optimizing expressions away from your do loop. If you compile with -O0 or -O1 you get the expected result. Default is -O2. If I rewrite your do loop in a way that expressions only depending on the outer increment are calculated outside of the inner do loop, then also ifort 17, 18, 19 get it correct with default optimization:

DO kx=0,Dx-1
   IF (kx<=ZDBx_Max) THEN
      lx=kx
   ELSE
      lx=kx-Dx
   END IF
   px=2.0_8*Pi*lx/Dx   
   DO ky=0,Dy-1              
      IF (ky<=ZDBy_Max) THEN
         ly=ky
      ELSE
         ly=ky-Dy
      END IF
      py=2.0_8*Pi*ly/Dy
      ! print *, "k = ", k
      Kinetic(Dy*kx+ky+1)=-2.0_8*(tx*COS(px)+ty*COS(py))-4.0_8*t_Prime*COS(px)*COS(py)

END DO
END DO

Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Julliet,

This issue is better to be reported via our Online Service Center at https://supporttickets.intel.com/  for further investigation. 

Instructions on how to file a ticket are available here: 

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-create-a-support-request-at-online-service-center  

Thanks,

Xiaoping Duan

Intel Customer Support