Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

Problem with procedure pointers using both ifx and ifort

GreenScreen
Beginner

The following code sample, that I came across in an older code, doesn't compile with both ifx and ifort, although it does with both Gfortran 11 and (classic) Flang.

module fails

implicit none

type, abstract :: dtype
      procedure(dummy_sub), nopass, pointer :: ptr => null()
   end type dtype

abstract interface
      subroutine dummy_sub( )
      end subroutine dummy_sub
   end interface

contains

subroutine dummy( )
      return
   end subroutine dummy

function check(obj) result(n)      
      class(dtype), intent(in) :: obj
      integer(4) :: n      
      if ( associated(obj%ptr, dummy) ) then
         n = 1
      else
         stop 'Pointer not associated!'
      end if
   end function check

end module fails

The error message from ifx (and ifort) is the following:

fails.f90(23): error #6424: This name has already been used as an external subroutine name. [DUMMY]
-------------------------------^
fails.f90(23): error #8191: The procedure target must be a procedure or a procedure pointer. [ASSOCIATED]
-------------------------------^
compilation aborted for fails.f90 (code 1)

The error message is rather unclear ("dummy" is a module procedure, not an external one). It's not clear to me why "dummy" isn't allowed to appear as a target in the "associated" intrinsic function. As far as I can tell, even ifort versions of several years ago won't compile the above code sample.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ron_Green

Bug ID CMPLRLLVM-43122

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

For whatever it's worth, my take is Intel Fortran is in the wrong here to raise errors while the code conforms to the standard.

@GreenScreen , if you have a support subscription with Intel, please submit a service request at the Intel Online Service Center (OSC).  Otherwise, you can wait for someone from the Intel team to review this thread and for them to submit a request for you. 

Since it may take a while for a resolution to this issue in a future release of the Intel Fortran compilers, you can give the following workaround a try and see if it works in your code (untested as I post this from my child's iPad during vacation):

function check(obj) result(n)      
      class(dtype), intent(in) :: obj
      integer(4) :: n
      procedure(dummy_sub), pointer :: lptr  !<--  employ a local object as workaround 
      lptr => obj%ptr 
      if ( associated(lptr, dummy) ) then
         n = 1
      else
         stop 'Pointer not associated!'
      end if
   end function check

0 Kudos
GreenScreen
Beginner

@FortranFan, Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I don't have a support subscription, so I hope someone from Intel can take care of submitting a service request, so that we can ultimately get a bug fix for that.

Not that I'd personally recommend the use of procedure pointers, but there are codes out there that use them. Trying to compile the particular code that I've mentioned above, I've already hit this particular bug multiple times, so trying to work around it is tedious.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Re: "Not that I'd personally recommend the use of procedure pointers," you will note procedure pointers are quite useful for developing flexible libraries that can work with consumer-supplied methods for certain tasks on hand.  As such they can prove safer than the use of the `EXTERNAL` statement with codes based in FORTRAN 77 and related but nonstandard dialects.  And there are quite a few long running codes out there with EXTERNAL indicating both the need for and utility of this.  Thus the procedure pointer facility in the language and robust, reliable implementations in compilers such as Intel Fortran are only par for the course.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

We do accept bug reports here on this Forum. 

I'll get a bug opened on this one.  It is one we'd like to fix soon. 

Ron

0 Kudos
GreenScreen
Beginner
0 Kudos
Ron_Green

Bug ID CMPLRLLVM-43122

0 Kudos