Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Problem with the installation of visual studio

Alicante_CC
Beginner

dear Madam/Sir

I own a license of "Intel parallel studio XE composer edition for fortran" that I bought through the university where I work in 2017.  I had to re-format my PC so that now I have to re-install my fortran compiler.

The product needs a version of microsoft visual studio community of 2015 or earlier. Unfortunately when I go to microsoft website and try to download from the link there provided and then install visual studio the operation fails with a message saying "a set up package is missing or damaged".

Please can you help me with that, given that without a proper installation of visual studio I cannot use the product that I bought from you?

thanks in advance for your help

regards

C.C.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel

I do not know how to obtain older versions of Microsoft Visual Studio without subscription.

That being said, latest Fortran compilers are free for download as stand alone or part of oneAPI HPC Toolkit.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/news/free-intel-software-developer-tools.html 

Supported Microsoft Visual Studio versions are listed here  

0 Kudos
Alicante_CC
Beginner

Thank you, I followed your instructions and everything worked.

This said I have a further question.

Together with the fortran compiler I also use the the Rogue Wave IMSL* Fortran Numerical Libraries 7.0.1 (I bought it together with the license for the Intel parallel studio XE composer).

Now I have reinstalled the numerical libraries on my PC and while the installation seems to have worked fine the programs that use those subroutines do not compile, more specifically, at the command prompt I type:

ifort /Qimsl  filename.f90   (which is what used to work when I used the Intel parallel studio composer)

however now I get back the message " ifort: command line remark #10148: option '/Qimsl' not supported "

Could you help me solve this? are those libraries still integrated with the free compiler that you directed me to? Has the instruction to be given at the command line changed?

thank you for your cooperation,

regards

C.C.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The ifort command line doesn't support /Qimsl because IMSL isn't sold by Intel anymore. All this did was add to the list of libraries linked in. You can do that yourself, following the instructions from your IMSL documentation. You will also need to specify where the IMSL include files and modules are located.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Why did Intel stop selling IMSL?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I wasn't privy to the discussion (this happened after I left Intel), but my understanding is that the contract terms with Visual Numerics became untenable for Intel. Even while I was there, the resources we (as in me) had to put in to support bundled IMSL were significant compared to revenue. It just didn't seem to make sense anymore. You can still buy IMSL for Intel Fortran from VNI, and they support it.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
0 Kudos
Alicante_CC
Beginner

Dear Steve,

Sorry but I am a quite low level end-user of those products and with the instructions in your reply I would not know where to start from. So could you or anyone else reading this forum be a bit more specific?

thank you for your patience

C.C.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

C.C.,

You will have to read the IMSL documentation to find the names of the libraries you need.  The simplest way to deal with these is to locate them in the IMSL install folder on your computer and add them to your project as if they were source files.

You probably also need IMSL modules or include files - for these you'll want to add the folder containing them to the Fortran > General > Additional Include Directories.

In the past, there were four (I think) variations of IMSL libraries: static/DLL and MKL/non-MKL. I don't know what it looks like now. 

0 Kudos