Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Problems with parameterized derived types

Wei_J_3
Beginner
Windows 10 Pro Build 14393
MS visual studio ultimate 2013 12.0.40629.00 Update 5
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 15.0.7.287

Type :: Grid1D(Nx,Ns)
                        Integer(4),Len :: Nx=100,Ns=1_4
                        Real(8) ::  SS(1:Nx,1:Ns)
                        Integer(4) :: NxA=1,NyA=1
End Type

(1) Sometimes it will not compile but sometimes it is correctly complied.

Error massage: error #8737: For a default initialized component every type parameter and array bound must be a constant expression.   [SS]

Adding a useless code before it will solve the problem

Type :: Test
                        Real(8), Allocatable :: Test2(:)
              End Type

(2) If it is complied, some of the component can not be referred when compiling

Error massage: error #6460: This is not a field name that is defined in the encompassing structure.   [NYA] 

This happens when the Subroutine below is compiled (The code has been cleaned).

Subroutine  DiagHeatingRatePeriod(GD)
         Implicit none
         Class(*),intent(inout)  :: GD
         Select Type (GD)
                Type is (Grid1D(*,*))
                    GD%Nya=1
         End select
        Return    
End Subroutine

Thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You'll need to provide a complete compilable source for us to look at. Also, please try a current compiler version (17.0.0 is current.) We've fixed a lot of bugs since 15.0.

0 Kudos
Wei_J_3
Beginner

Windows 10 Pro Build 14393
MS visual studio 14.0.25431.01 Update 3 (same problems with MS visual studio ultimate 2013 12.0.40629.00 Update 5)

Test Case A: Constant2.F90  complie with 2015/2016/2017 with errors

------ Build started: Project: Test, Configuration: Debug|Win32 ------

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 17.0.0.109 [IA-32]...
Constant2.F90
fortcom: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).
compilation aborted for C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Constant2.F90 (code 1)

Build log written to  "file://C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
Test - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0.4.246 [IA-32]...
Constant2.F90
fortcom: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).
compilation aborted for C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Constant2.F90 (code 1)

Build log written to  "file://C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
Test - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 15.0.7.287 [IA-32]...
Constant2.F90
C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Constant2.F90(53): error #8737: For a default initialized component every type parameter and array bound must be a constant expression.   [VALUE]
C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Constant2.F90(61): error #8737: For a default initialized component every type parameter and array bound must be a constant expression.   [VALUE]

Test - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Test Case B: Constant2.F90  complie with 2015/2016/2017 with no errors simplly by adding or removing something, the error is not always reproducibale

Here the error dissapeared in 2016/2017, but still exited in 2015 by remove 
"              
               Type :: Test2
                        Real(8), Allocatable :: Test2(:)
              End Type
"

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 17.0.0.109 [IA-32]...
Constant3.F90

Test - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0.4.246 [IA-32]...
Constant3.F90

Test - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Constant3.F90
C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Constant3.F90(58): error #8737: For a default initialized component every type parameter and array bound must be a constant expression.   [VALUE]
compilation aborted for C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Constant3.F90 (code 1)

Test - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"Debug\\" /object:"Debug\\" /Fd"Debug\vc140.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c /Qvc14 /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\\bin" "C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Constant3.F90"
C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Constant3.F90(58): error #8737: For a default initialized component every type parameter and array bound must be a constant expression.   [VALUE]
              End Type Grid1D
^
compilation aborted for C:\Users\Tame\Source\Repos\PM\Test\Test\Constant3.F90 (code 1)

Test - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Oddly, if the /Od option is removed, the two files can be compiled without encountering the ICE.

0 Kudos
Wei_J_3
Beginner

The problem is no always reproducible. It is really annoying when trying to use parameterized derived types.

Sometimes even by adding some blank lines will remove the problem. 

I guess the reason is the compiler does not always compile parameterized derived types with F2003 standard by sometimes with F95 standard.

Adding some meaningless lines will avoid the problem sometimes.

mecej4 wrote:

Oddly, if the /Od option is removed, the two files can be compiled without encountering the ICE.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

.. please try a current compiler version (17.0.0 is current.) We've fixed a lot of bugs since 15.0.

Steve,

Fyi for Intel development team: I tried version 17.0.0.109 [Intel(R) 64] with the Constant2.F90 file posted by Wei J. in Message #3 and I get ICEs with /Od as well as with /On (n=1 to 3) options.  The behavior is indeed as indicated by OP and noticed previously with other ICEs; a slight change of source file can prevent or reintroduce the ICE, e.g., removing the module named Constants helped compile the code successfully in one instance, or removing the PDT Grid2D compiled ok too.

I can attest to OP's comment, "It is really annoying when trying to use parameterized derived types." but, as I've stated previously, that's not too say PDT's should not be supported in the standard - I find PDTs to be a very useful concept and if anything, I would like to see the feature extended considerably to provide greater support for generics in Fortran.  Rather it will be most useful if Intel Fortran team can step back and take a comprehensive look at the PDT implementation to clean, thorough resolutions quickly to the outstanding issues and get it the functionality working right overall for users.  My confidence level in using the facility in my own code designs or to recommend to other colleagues remains low as I'm really struggling to keep track of what has been fixed since 15.0 - it's proving too difficult to get a big picture on PDTs and to understand what's been resolved and what issues still pending with PDTs in Intel Fortran, the problem being further compounded with the missing "compiler fixes list" with 17.0 version.  It's all rather frustrating.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

There's an effort to restore the fixes list in some form, but it probably wouldn't be useful if just trying to match symptoms.

Thanks for the complete example - we'll get right on it. PDT LEN parameters are difficult to get right.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. Will keep trying.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I can now reproduce an error but only with an x64 target compile. It doesn't reproduce in a later internal build, so I am testing it with the upcoming Update 1 to see what happens.

Grr.. and now I can reproduce it in Win32 as well. You're right, this is variable! We'll get to the bottom of it.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

.. You're right, this is variable! We'll get to the bottom of it.

Steve,

FWIW, here's what I had found from a 10 minute look at the code yesterday - please see comments marked with !** in the reduced example below, all with x64 target (Intel(R) 64 compiler version):

module Constants

implicit none

real(8) :: R  !** 1)  Commenting out this line avoids ICE, but triggers unexpected error #8737

contains

subroutine DRandomInt(RR)  !** 2) OR Commenting out this procedure avoids ICE

use IFPORT

real(8),intent(inout) :: RR

integer :: AA
      AA=int(RR*100.d0)
      RR=DRAND(AA)
      return

entry  DRandom(RR)     !**  3) OR Commenting out this ENTRY section avoids ICE with /On (n=1 to 3), not /Od
      RR=DRAND(0)            !

return

end subroutine DRandomInt

end module Constants

module TypeModule

implicit none

!  This Section is the definitions of the physicla parameters.

integer(4),parameter :: NxMax=65

type :: Grid2D(Nx,Ny,Ns)
      integer(4),len :: Nx=NxMax,Ny=1000,Ns=1_4
      real(8) ::  value(1:Nx,0:Ny,1:Ns)    !**    4) OR Commenting out this line avoids ICE
      real(8) :: Dx=0.d0,Dy=0.d0
      integer(4) :: timer=0,Period=1
   end type Grid2D

end module TypeModule

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Based on my experiments with a "release candidate" build of Update 1, I am 99% certain that the bugs related to these sources (including FortranFan's cut-down version) will be fixed with Update 1. I'm expecting this to be released "soon", but it has taken longer to get it out than we anticipated. When you do get Update 1, please try it on your whole application and let us know how it works for you.

0 Kudos
Wei_J_3
Beginner

Steve and FortranFan, thanks a lot for the help

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Update 1 should be available later today.

0 Kudos