Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Project Dependencies

merik
Beginner
Hi,

I recently upgraded to Visual Studio 2010 with FORTRAN XE 2011.

I have a C++ DLL project that is dependent on another C++ lib project and a FORTRAN lib project. I added bothdependencies under"Project Dependencies".

This use to work with Visual Studio 2008 and Intel Fortran 11.1.

If I add them to "Additional Dependencies" under the Linker properties, everything works fine.

Is there any reason the "Project Dependencies" do not work inVisual Studio 2010 with FORTRAN XE 2011?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It does generally work, but I have seen some cases, even with older versions, where it didn't. The project dependencies are managed by Visual Studio. What goes wrong? Does the DLL project not link in the dependent libraries? Both of them? Only one?
0 Kudos
merik
Beginner
I tried some more experimenting. I removed the references to the C++ lib project and it no longer linked. Fortran reference were removed according to the Fortran release notes.It seems like "Project Dependencies" are nowonly telling the compiler build order but if you want to link with the library you have to include it as a reference in VS2010 or add them to Linker "Additional Dependencies".

Although, you cannot add Fortran libraries as a reference and adding them as a dependency does not linkthem in.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is a property under Linker or Librarian telling it whether or not to link in dependent libraries. Microsoft changed the default in VS2008, I think.
0 Kudos
merik
Beginner
Yes, I have that set on the DLL. I believe it'scalled "Link Library Dependencies". It still does not link in the dependencies set at the solution level (Project Dependencies). The following article lists the project-to-project refeneces.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2010/05/03/flexible-project-to-project-references.aspx

Is XE going to support references?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We're currently not using the MSBUILD-based environment. We do support project references.
0 Kudos
merik
Beginner
I don't understand. Isn't Visual Studio 2010 based on MSBUILD? What environment are you using?

As for the project references, they don't seem to show up under project Referencesdialog when I try to "Add New Reference". Any clue?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No - the Visual C++ project system is based on MSBUILD. Intel Fortran's project system is not.
0 Kudos