Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28382 Discussions

Purchase of intel fortran, intel visual fortran

KYLam
Beginner

Hi, I am developing some fortran programs for my structure design work. Now, I need to do some graphic presentation.

I come across that there are "intel fortran" and "intel visual frotran". Are these two the same one or two different softwares and I have to purchase both? Where can I do the purchase?

By the way, I am working on a 64bit personal computer.

Thanks.

KYLam

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @KYLam

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you have some inquiries regarding Intel® Fortran. We have a forum for those specific products and questions so we are moving it to the Intel® Fortran Compiler Forum so it can get answered more quickly.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

On Windows, these are the same thing. You don't have to purchase anything as the Intel Fortran compiler is now free on all platforms. It is a component of Optimized Tools for HPC Apps Using Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit . On Windows you will need Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 with C++ Desktop Application support installed. (Installing Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019 for Use with Intel® Compilers). You can choose to buy a support license, giving you access to Intel support engineers.

0 Kudos
KYLam
Beginner

Steve,

Thanks for your info.

I will try.

0 Kudos
cean
New Contributor II

Interested. I am in the beginning of adding GUI for my structure design with Intel Fortran.

0 Kudos
KYLam
Beginner

I have installed the intel FORTRAN. I tried to compile a simple program in command line.

In the "intel(r) oneAPI Tools" window, I change the subdirectory to where I have the file by entering:

cd c:\documents\iforttry

at this subdirectory, I entered as follow:

c:\Documents\iforttry> ifort trybackspace.for

the compiler compiled the program and created trybackspace.obj in my subdirectory but didn't link. It give a message as:

link: invalid option -- s

What had I done wrong?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The message

link: invalid option -- s

is probably an indication that you have a program called "link.exe" other than the MS linker, which is also called "link.exe". This can happen if you have Cygwin installed, in which its link.exe is for creating file links, not for linking OBJ files and libraries into EXEs and DLLs. Check %PATH% and make sure that the directory containing the MS linker appears before any other directory that also contains a LINK.EXE.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Suggest that you get Visual Studio Community Edition (2019).  You will need to rerun the Fortran installer to get the VS integration working.

Then you create your projects within a Visual Studio solution, and the compilation can all be done through VS.

If you wish to run from the Command Window, make sure you are using the appropriate link provided during the Fortran install - this ensures that all the required paths for Fortran are set.  They are not set if you simply open a normal window.

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi KYLam,

We apologize for the delay. We understand that the current concern is a post-installation issue. However, do correct us know if that is wrong. 

Proceeding further, we are routing this thread to the correct forum for further assistance. Our internal team will get back to you there promptly. 

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos