Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

Questions about future versions of Intel Fortran

van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

Right now (6 Dec 2021) we are using Intel Fortran 2020, and update 4 is the latest version you can download when you log in.

I understand that the next version 2021 will have a classic version (like the 2020 and earlier compilers), and a newer LLVM based version which will become the default longer term. That version is currently in BETA and only available as part of the oneAPI download.

Intel Fortran 2022 (and nothing earlier, once released, hopefully in 2022) onwards will support the 64 bit Visual Studio 2022.

My questions are:

• Intel Fortran 2021 once released wont support the already released Visual Studio 2022? I can find some information about the beta, but it does not say what versions of Visual Studio it supports.
  • Under Windows, is the LLVM version of the compiler essentially a drop in replacement? It will compile and produce OBJ file and link into DLLs with other maybe C++ obj files?
  • Does LLVM under Windows generate C++ compatible PDB and OBJ files? Will tools like Visual Studio Code be able to understand such symbol information? I gather the answer is yes?
  • I assume there will be support in Visual Studio 2022 for the LLVM based compiler as well (once Intel Fortran 2022 is released)?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ron_Green
  • Intel Fortran 2021 once released wont support the already released Visual Studio 2022? I can find some information about the beta, but it does not say what versions of Visual Studio it supports.
    • Read the System Requirements:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/system-requirements/oneapi-fortran-compiler-system-requirements.html
    • VS22 was released AFTER 2021.4 so there is no support for it.  We of course test early versions of V22 but we do not support it until it is released.  This because in the past we've tested with Beta builds of VS only to have the official release break something.  Bad business betting MS does not change things between the last Beta and their Gold releases.  We wait for the official release, validate our software, then support comes in the next scheduled update ( oneAPI 2022.1 due very soon)

• Under Windows, is the LLVM version of the compiler essentially a drop in replacement? It will compile and produce OBJ file and link into DLLs with other maybe C++ obj files?
    • You get both IFORT "Classic" and the IFX BETA LLVM compiler.  IFORT is default.  If you want IFX it is there but keep in mind that as of today it's beta and not production ready.  You have to switch compilers to get IFX.  If you don't know how to do that don't worry and just use the IFORT default.

• Does LLVM under Windows generate C++ compatible PDB and OBJ files? Will tools like Visual Studio Code be able to understand such symbol information? I gather the answer is yes?
    • PDB and OBJs same as IFORT Classic.  No changes to our ABI.
  • I assume there will be support in Visual Studio 2022 for the LLVM based compiler as well (once Intel Fortran 2022 is released)?  For both IFORT and IFX in 2022.1 oneAPI release.  Yes.

more on oneAPI HERE

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

There's a webinar called "Intel(R) oneAPI Tools 2022 -- an Early look at the Latest Release" on Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 9 - 10am PT.  That may answer some of your questions.  Register here.  There's a live Q&A open forum as part of the webinar, too.

The oneAPI 2022.1 release is planned for this month.

Ron_Green
    • Read the System Requirements:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/system-requirements/oneapi-fortran-compiler-system-requirements.html
    • VS22 was released AFTER 2021.4 so there is no support for it.  We of course test early versions of V22 but we do not support it until it is released.  This because in the past we've tested with Beta builds of VS only to have the official release break something.  Bad business betting MS does not change things between the last Beta and their Gold releases.  We wait for the official release, validate our software, then support comes in the next scheduled update ( oneAPI 2022.1 due very soon)

• You get both IFORT "Classic" and the IFX BETA LLVM compiler.  IFORT is default.  If you want IFX it is there but keep in mind that as of today it's beta and not production ready.  You have to switch compilers to get IFX.  If you don't know how to do that don't worry and just use the IFORT default.

• PDB and OBJs same as IFORT Classic.  No changes to our ABI.
  • I assume there will be support in Visual Studio 2022 for the LLVM based compiler as well (once Intel Fortran 2022 is released)?  For both IFORT and IFX in 2022.1 oneAPI release.  Yes.

more on oneAPI HERE