Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Quickwin SETWINDOWCONFIG: unable to use QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET

dboggs
New Contributor I

I'm trying to get linedraw characters. The documentation states

"Using QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET with the font name 'MS LineDraw'C will get the old DOS-style character set with symbols that can be used to draw lines and boxes."

But it gives no instruction or example on how to use it. What I am trying is

USE IFQWIN
TYPE (Windowconfig) wc
LOGICAL status
wc%fontsize = QWIN$EXTENDFONT
wc%extendfontname = 'MS Linedraw'C
wc%extendfontattributes = QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET
status = SETWINDOWCONFIG (wc)
IF (.NOT. status) status = WINDOWCONFIG (wc)

But this does not work. I am suspicious of the assignment of QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET to wc%extendfontattributes. Just guessing on this due to lack of documentation.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JVanB
Valued Contributor II

What does "does not work" mean? What happens if you output transfer([(char(i),i=176,223)],repeat('A',48)) ?

0 Kudos
dboggs
New Contributor I

By "does not work" I mean that I get the same output as if the suspicious statement weren't there. 

Not sure what the TRANSFER business is all about, but if I WRITE (*, *) CHAR(I) where i is any of the character addresses 176 - 223, all that displays is an odd foreign character--exactly the same as if the QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET line were missing.

I don't ever use TRANSFER, I get a compile error when I try to include your statement, and I don't understand the documentation on this function

0 Kudos
JVanB
Valued Contributor II

The program

write(*,*) transfer([(char(i),i=176,223)],repeat('A',48))
end

outputs

░▒▓│┤╡╢╖╕╣║╗╝╜╛┐└┴┬├─┼╞╟╚╔╩╦╠═╬╧╨╤╥╙╘╒╓╫╪┘┌█▄▌▐▀

which looks like line drawing characters in my preview. I have never tried quickwin and I can't get the font stuff to work at all either.

0 Kudos
dboggs
New Contributor I

So, I would like to ask the Intel folks: Does this feature work or not?

If so, can you please add to the documentation with either instructions how to use it, or an example?

If not, can you either fix it or remove it from the feature list?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

The help had the comment below which I guess you must have read. But that is still "device dependant", ie the particular windows install would need to recognise that font name. I would imagine in your case SETWINDOWCONFIG does a best fit but does not give you what you want. The character you want are in code page 437, the old dos characters. 

Character Sets:

QWIN$EXTENDFONT_ANSI_CHARSET

QuickWin default.

QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET

Use this to get Microsoft* LineDraw.

Using QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET with the font name 'MS LineDraw'C will get the old DOS-style character set with symbols that can be used to draw lines and boxes.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This stuff is really a holdover from DOS - it seems odd to want to use it in 2015, and as app4619 notes, it requires underlying support of the appropriate codeset.

0 Kudos
dboggs
New Contributor I

app4619: Thanks. I gather from your response that you actually tried it, and it worked. Otherwise your info is nothing more than what the documentation says. When you say "Using QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET with the font name 'MS LineDraw'C " what exactly do you mean? How does one "use" QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET ?

That is my problem. Take a look at my original post to see what I tried. Then, perhaps you can confirm whether I tried the right thing, or maybe you know of the "proper" way to use it.

Steve: I think I have support of the codeset, since I frequently use linedraw characters in other programs including word processors etc. What I was really hoping for is the documentation to do a better job explaining this feature that goes beyond the cryptic "use this with that." Even if this use is outdated, I would expect Intel to keep the documentation current and explain how to use the features that are included.

0 Kudos
JVanB
Valued Contributor II

I agree that 'does not work' is a good description of the results I have been able to obtain so far. Perhaps it would be useful to provide a complete compilable example so as to illustrate the gap between documentation and function.

! Compile with
! ifort qwin.f90 /libs:qwin
! Get MS LineDraw from
! http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/380-ms-linedraw-truetype-font/
! and install by copying LINEDRAW.TTF to C:\Windows\Fonts

program qwin
   use ifqwin
   implicit none
   type(windowconfig) wc
   logical res4
   integer fontsize
   integer(2) iRowpos, iColpos
   type(rccoord) rc
!   character(*), parameter :: NL = ''
   character(*), parameter :: NL = achar(0)

res4 = getwindowconfig(wc)
   fontsize = wc%fontsize
   wc%extendfontname = 'MS LineDraw'//achar(0)
   wc%extendfontsize = fontsize
   wc%fontsize = QWIN$EXTENDFONT
   wc%extendfontattributes = QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET
   wc%title = 'A Title'//achar(0)
   res4 = setwindowconfig(wc)
   if(.NOT.res4) res4 = setwindowconfig(wc)
   iRowpos = 1
   iColpos = 1
   call SETTEXTPOSITION(iRowpos,iColpos,rc)
   call OUTTEXT(char(218)//repeat(char(196),13)//char(191)//NL)
   iRowpos = iRowpos+1
   call OUTTEXT(char(179)//'This is a box'//char(179)//NL)
   iRowpos = iRowpos+1
   call OUTTEXT(char(192)//repeat(char(196),13)//char(217)//NL)
   iRowpos = iRowpos+1
   call OUTTEXT('Press <ENTER> to continue:> ')
   read(*,*)
end program qwin

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I can replicate RO's observation. Escalated as issue DPD200367304.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

#9 sets wc%extendfontattributes = QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET

which is #00080010 but then when the setwindowconfig is called with this we get is coming back as #80000000 which is none of the preset constants in ifqwin at a glance. I think it is an error status. We thus are foobahed. The QWIN$EXTENDFONT_OEM_CHARSET is device dependant and setwindowconfig does a 'best fit' if things don't stack up. Having said that you would expect it to work.....

Edit: PARAMETER (QWIN$EXTENDFONT_NORMAL     =#80000000)

0 Kudos