Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Really slow editing - help

dajum
Novice

I'm using PSXE2017 and VS2015 Update3.  I've searched and seen what most have tried and don't see any real solutions posted.  In my case if I'm editing a source that contains modules and interfaces it has started to take 1-2 minutes to respond to each insertion/update.  I can copy and paste only one line before it goes off for over a minute.  I've unchecked the Auto List Members and Parameter setting in the Text editor options.  I've tried to disable intellisense with the options shown in the attached picture.  I've also deleted the .sdf file and made a directory of that name.  Anyone know why it does this and how to make it stop taking so long to allow typing.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
IanH
Honored Contributor II

I haven't experienced delays to that extent, but I do find that Visual Studio needs to be restarted every hour or so to avoid the Fortran integration from becoming very sluggish.

0 Kudos
dajum
Novice

Having to restart is silly.  It is just an indication that there is something wrong with the software.  I have left my C++ projects open for days without restarting and without them getting sluggish, and they are much larger than my fortran solution(which is 3000-4000 source files and about a dozen projects).  And since the options seem to be VS specific and not solution specific, I want to keep the good options for my c++ coding (I'd like them for fortran too).  There must be something I can do to prevent the fortran from getting slow without messing with my C++ projects.  You can see this happens to many fortran progammers (If you google it), I bet most just live with it, as I know a couple of my co-workers do.

0 Kudos
Rob1
Beginner

I have been dealing with this off and on all year.

Visual studio community 2017 15.0.0+26228.16

Intel parallel studio xe2018 composer edition for fortran windows version 18.0.0033.15

All the projects/files i'm working with are on my local machine.

Tools>Options>Text Editor>Fortran>Advanced: all are set to false.

A restart of VS usually allows reasonable text editor behavior for 5 minutes or so, then it usually slows down.  To the point of several seconds delay to type a character, not just parenthesis... any character.  It can take 5 seconds to copy text to the clipboard, the same to paste, the same for find/replace to appear after hitting ctrl-f or ctrl-h.  Unbearable slowness.

I was on newer versions of VS and XE and this was less of a problem, but i made the mistake of installing XE2018 and a newer version of VS (can't remember which one) and it was a disaster with a broken compatibility between the two.

So now i'm stuck with this nearly unusable text editor and i'm hesitant to update to a newer version because of the last bad experience.

help

0 Kudos
Timothy_W_
Beginner

I had the slow editing problem but lately it has gone away.  I am not sure why.  I am using Visual Studio 2017 15.3 and Intel Fortran 2017 update 4.

I had 60 or so projects, more than half Fortran the rest C++.  I reduced the number of projects down to 35.  I now can keep the IDE running for days, this was not true with Visual Studio 2015.  It seems to remember more and do less when I build the solution.  Normally I am building just individual projects (Build Only).  I avoid building the solution because it takes so long to think about what to do.

I submitted an issue to Intel on the slow build dependency analysis.  I created a dummy solution with 4 projects, each project containing thousands of little Fortran files (10-20 lines each).  Visual Studio would take hours analyzing before it would start building.  I think it was a problem with determining what to rebuild. It had the same problem in Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017 15.0.

I gave this example to Intel.   I was told that there was a problem and it will be fixed in Intel Fortran 2018 Update 1 which is not out yet. I am not sure if the dependency analysis in the background was causing the editing delays but it did make incrementally compiling the full solution painfully slow after editing just one file.

I saw the slow editing issue all the time in Visual Studio 2015.  It seems to be much better in Visual Studio 2017 15.3.  15.3 can't be installed directly.  15.0 must be installed, then Intel Fortran then update VS 15.0 to 15.3.

I did have Visual Assist C++ plug in which was scanning all the files.  I told it to skip the *.for files. I am not sure if that helped or not.  Currently in Visual Studio 2017, I am using JetBrains Resharper for C++ plugin.  Again, not sure if Visual Assist was the problem.  But I can work easily in the IDE with the full solution loaded now.

I think there has been some improvements in Visual Studio 2017.  I can now work on the code with the full solution loaded.  In earlier versions of Visual Studio, I could not work with the full solution loaded.  I would temporarily unload most of the projects then it was manageable.

Tim

0 Kudos
Rob1
Beginner

Tim,

I've never had issue with build speed.  It's the text editor that is the problem for me.  I was on VS2012 before VS2017, and never had the problem before switching to VS2017.  The first computer i ever used in the 80's was much much faster than what i'm experiencing now.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I've been using IVF 17 (all updates) on Windows 7 x64 Pro with MS VS 2013 (update 4) for a long time now, and have never seen a slowdown in the IDE while editing (excepting for when I am concurrently running a simulation that saturates the CPU).

Note, on my system I do not have IVF installed on a shared server. There were some reports of the Intel License manager slowing things down.

Note 2, my largest Fortran solution has 13 projects, so maybe Timothy is on to something by 60 projects are slow and 35 are reasonable.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
I have experianced this problem from time to time. Currently i am seeing this on v18 and vs2013. I usually work with only one project loaded at any time. I think it is more like a resourse leak in that it can strike after a length of time and then rapidly gets worse. I restart vs and all is good then for a few hours.
0 Kudos
Rob1
Beginner

I wish i was still on VS2012.

I have everything installed locally, the license is local and is for me only (not a network license).

My solution has 1 project.

0 Kudos
Rob1
Beginner

I use VS for VB.net and C also.  The only time i have this problem is with my fortran project.

0 Kudos