Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Recent Update

Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

After updating to the latest revisions of the compilers I noticed a couple of things that may be bugs or just new "features" we have to accept as progressing the product.

I am currently staying with the Classic (IFORT) compilers as still nervous about switching.

1) All my projects in Visual Studio now have the text (IFORT) appended to their actual project name. This was never the case before this update.

Stephen_Sutcliffe_0-1633777691124.png

2) The "Latest Compiler" option does not automatically select the latest version. You have to manually select this. Some users may assume that they are using the latest version when they are not.

If you wish to start using the IFX variant does this require a new project? How do you select the IFX as both are currently selected in the Options though the IFORT version is being used?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

Thanks to everyone for taking time to respond, much appreciated. My query has been covered apart from the "Latest Compiler" which seems unique to my computers. Not a big deal for me really as I will check it whenever I perform an update in future. 

I don't intend to adopt the IFX compiler for a while, at least until it's fully tested and verified. It seems by implication that you can specify different compilers for each of the projects within a solution which may help to transition from IFORT and IFX in a more controlled way.

BTW I have had to reset my forum password when I tried to reply even though I'd only set it recently. This type of issue has occurred before on this forum.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

You should be aware IFX is still in Beta and is not complete. For production code the classic compiler is the one to use. As to your other points dunno!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

1) I will guess that this is in anticipation of being able to select IFX as the compiler to use on a per-project basis, the way you can between icc and icl for C++. I don't see any control over this at present.

2) I don't see that behavior - "Latest" uses the 2021.4 compiler for me.

IanH
Honored Contributor II

@Stephen_Sutcliffe wrote:
If you wish to start using the IFX variant does this require a new project? How do you select the IFX as both are currently selected in the Options though the IFORT version is being used?

No.

Show the solution explorer if not already visible (View > Solution Explorer). Right click on the relevant project name in the solution explorer, from the resulting context menu select the "Intel Compiler" submenu, choose the relevant item from the resulting menu to nominate the alternative compiler.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

RE: 1) All my projects in Visual Studio now have the text (IFORT) appended to their actual project name. This was never the case before this update.

That was a feature request Devorah made to improve VS and Intel Fortran useability. It's a similar feature to C++ as Steve pointed out.

For more information on selecting ifort and ifx please read this article.

0 Kudos
Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

Thanks to everyone for taking time to respond, much appreciated. My query has been covered apart from the "Latest Compiler" which seems unique to my computers. Not a big deal for me really as I will check it whenever I perform an update in future. 

I don't intend to adopt the IFX compiler for a while, at least until it's fully tested and verified. It seems by implication that you can specify different compilers for each of the projects within a solution which may help to transition from IFORT and IFX in a more controlled way.

BTW I have had to reset my forum password when I tried to reply even though I'd only set it recently. This type of issue has occurred before on this forum.

0 Kudos