Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Reducing the debugging startup time

ferrad01
Beginner
After I have successfully built my project, and hit Run (F5), Devenv sleeps for 10 secs before actually running. As far as I can gather it is checking if my project needs building, which I don't want it to do, as I have already built it.

How do I suppress this? I tried Tools -> Options -> Build and Run -> On Run -> Never Build, but that didn't help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
My guess is that it is something else. Is your "My Documents" directory on a network share? Does the same delay happen if you use CTRL-F5 (Start without debugging)?
0 Kudos
jarvusluntatintel

I have very large projects and also used to get a long delay each time before debugging. I believe I went to build>Configuration Manager and unclicked all the Build fields. I alsodid NOT say that any projects depend on any other projects.

The debugger starts up much faster. However, I occasionally change the code, forget tobuild,launch the debugger, and then have some confusion, since it is debugging the "old" executable.

0 Kudos
ferrad01
Beginner
No everything is local.

However I found the problem: it is checking project dependencies. If I remove the project depencies for this project, it starts up straight away. However this does mean that a Build will fail to update projects that this project should depend on.

So hitting F5 to run goes through the project dependencies first to check if it needs to build anything. It is this step that I'd like to avoid- is this a question for Microsoft or Intel?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
That would be Microsoft - we don't have any control over that part. I have never seen such a delay, however, even with large and complex solutions.
0 Kudos