Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26754 Discussions

Regarding pointer to an array of items

Reddy__Karunakar
Beginner

module typedat
implicit none
    type :: dat
        integer :: trow,tcol,tnum,nin,nout
        type(dat),pointer,dimension(:)::next    !Pointer to an array of things of type dat,so find a way to store prev or next into array
        type(dat),pointer,dimension(:)::prev !Pointer to an array of things of type dat

end type

end module

program multipleio
use typedat
implicit none
    integer,allocatable,dimension(:)::torder2,torder1,torder3,allt
    type(dat),target,dimension(:),allocatable::totdat
    type(dat),pointer::head,temp,temp1
    type(dat),pointer::first(:),last(:),prevdup(:),nextdup(:),prev1dup(:),next1dup(:)
    integer,dimension(:),allocatable :: a(:),b(:)

open(17,file='tuborder.txt')
        do i=1,ttub
            allocate(a(totdat(i)%nin),b(totdat(i)%nout))
            read(17,*) a(1:totdat(i)%nin),b(1:totdat(i)%nout)
            allocate(prevdup(totdat(i)%nin,nextdup(totdat(i)%nout))
            if (totdat(i)%nin .gt. 0) then
                do j=1,totdat(i)%nin
                    do k=1,ttub
                        if (a(j)==totdat(k)%tnum) then
                            temp=>totdat(k)
                            prevdup(j)=temp
                        end if
                    end do
                end do
            end if
            totdat(i)%prev=>prevdup(1:totdat(i)%nin) !Linking the current tube as previous tube for next tube
            if (totdat(i)%nout .gt. 0) then
                do j=1,totdat(i)%nout
                    do k=1,ttub
                        if (b(j)==totdat(k)%tnum) then
                            temp=>totdat(k)
                            nextdup(j)=temp
                        end if
                    end do
                end do
            end if
            totdat(i)%next=>nextdup(1:totdat(i)%nout)!Linking the next tube to current tube
            deallocate(a,b)
        end do
    close(17)

I am trying to write a program to follow flow inside tubes. I planned to use linked list with  pointer "next" in my data structure shall point to the next tube of the path.I am facing a problem to link the various tubes when i am having multiple inlets or outlets for a tube. I want my current tube to point to next tube via next pointer and similarly to its previous tubes via prev pointer. If multiple inlets and outlets are there i am reading them into an arrays a,b and using them. Derived structure of "type (dat)" above contains tube information. The underlined lines above are the major concern for me. When i am using => in those lines i am getting an error of this kind

Error    1     error #8524: The syntax of this data pointer assignment is incorrect: either 'bound spec' or 'bound remapping' is expected in this context

and when i am just using = as above my pointers links are not coming correctly. I am new to Fortran and got stuck, kindly help me with this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mecej4
Black Belt

The flaw in your design is that you intend nextdup and prevdup to be arrays of pointers as in C and other languages. This is not allowed in Fortran. You can, on the other hand, embed a pointer inside a new type, say dupptr_type, and declare an array of this type.

Reddy__Karunakar
Beginner

if (totdat(i)%nin .gt. 0) then
                do j=1,totdat(i)%nin
                    do k=1,ttub
                        if (a(j)==totdat(k)%tnum) then
                            pdup(j)%prevdup=>totdat(k)          ! pdup is a type having pointer prevdup 
                        end if
                    end do
                end do
            end if
            totdat(i)%prev=>pdup(1:totdat(i)%nin)%prevdup   !Linking the current tube as previous tube for next tube
            if (totdat(i)%nout .gt. 0) then
                do j=1,totdat(i)%nout
                    do k=1,ttub
                        if (b(j)==totdat(k)%tnum) then
                            ndup(j)%nextdup=>totdat(k)         ! ndup is a type having pointer nextdup 
                        end if
                    end do
                end do
            end if
            totdat(i)%next=>ndup(1:totdat(i)%nout)%nextdup     !Linking the next tube to current tube
            deallocate(a,b,pdup,ndup)
        end do

I did the changes, but how to append this to next and prev pointers of type dat. I know that the above highlighted way is not correct as again it will take that statement as array of pointers which is not possible in fortran. How do i change the above code so that i can point next to an array of next tubes and prev to an array of prev tubes?

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@Reddy, Karunakar,

You may want to go through the thread link below in detail, in particular the technique recommended in Quote #13 - you may find it helpful.  

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/755612