Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28651 Discussions

Reputation Trojan found in Intel Visual Fortran

Christos_Amarandos
We I attempted to launch Visual Fortran on my PC Syamantec Endpoint.Cloud supposidly discovered a WS1.Reputation Trojan Horse in the Program Files and refuses to run. I was wondering is this a false alarm by Symantec or could their be something wrong with the Fortran
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bmchenry
New Contributor II
what file? i would be willing to guess it is a program/exe you built in the directory that symantec 'SONAR' has tagged as BAD because it doesn't have a certificate.
their 'wisdom of crowds' is that if their users haven't seen the exe you created (how could they, you're just messing around with IVF?!!)  and it doesn't have a certificate, it MUST BE BAD!!!
disable SONAR and/or give your anti-virus business to another company less lazy than symantec.

From symantec: (i've added the bold)

WS1.Reputation Behavior

WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
WS1.Reputation is the name the Symantec products give to executables that are new and therefore suspicious, until enough people have downloaded the file or a week or so passes.  It is not actually finding a "trojan" or anything in the file.  All Intel Developer Products downloads are digitally signed and are safe.  You can ignore the WS1.Reputation warnings for Intel downloads.
0 Kudos