Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Simple ICE

OP1
New Contributor II

The following code produces an ICE (error #5270: Internal Compiler Error: symbol not a SYMTOK). The code is a bit silly in the sense that the module M is (obviously) absent - and the compiler correctly identifies that error. Still, no ICE should be produced after that - so I report this in the spirit of completeness.

This is with Intel Fortran Compiler Classic 2021.5.0 [IA-32].

SUBMODULE (M) F
CONTAINS
MODULE FUNCTION F() RESULT(R)
END
END

Interestingly...

• If you replace line 3 with either MODULE PROCEDURE F or MODULE SUBROUTINE F, then no ICE is produced.
  • If you remove RESULT(R) from line 3, no ICE is produced.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Barbara_P_Intel

This ICE melted in the latest compiler release, 2021.7.0, which is part of the oneAPI HPC Toolkit 2022.3. This version was released earlier this month.

Please try it!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Thanks for reporting this. You certainly find some obscure issues. But we like it!

I filed CMPLRIL0-34665 for you. I'll let you know when the fix is available.

0 Kudos
OP1
New Contributor II

Thanks @Barbara_P_Intel !

One of the 'benefits' of working on a huge code is that it gives plenty of opportunities for the developer to create silly coding mistakes - that can be boiled down (after a little bit of work, admittedly) to simple reproducers like this.

I swear I am not doing this on purpose, ha ha.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

This ICE melted in the latest compiler release, 2021.7.0, which is part of the oneAPI HPC Toolkit 2022.3. This version was released earlier this month.

Please try it!

0 Kudos