Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Simulate a button-press action

Annegarn__Paul1
Beginner

Hi,

I would like to simulate (for instance) the OK button of a dialog so that the DlgModal function ends.

I already tried a piece:

iRet = DlgSendCtrlMessage( gdlg, IDM_Exit, WM_IME_KEYDOWN, VK_RETURN, 0 )

iRet = DlgModal(...

without succes.

Purpose is to make dialogs automated in software-controlled situations.

Any idea?

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ZlamalJakub
New Contributor III

You are creating modal dialog box. It means it does not return from dialog box subroutine until its OK button is clicked. If you want to click its button you need to do it from another thread (because your main code thread is blocked by modal dialog box). Another possibility is to use Modeless dialog box.

I did not noticed that you are using Intel Fortran dialog boxes routines. I have expected you use win32 routines.

I created simple dialog box application. Before calling DlgModal function is created another thread, which waits 10 seconds and then calls routine DlgAppApply associated with apply button

call DlgAppApply( gdlg, IDM_APPLY, dlg_clicked)

This routine handles button press and exits from dialog box.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ZlamalJakub
New Contributor III

Try

iRet = SendMessage( gdlg,WM_COMMAND,BN_CLICKED,IDOK)

IDOK is usually default ID of Ok button

according to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/controls/bn-clicked

0 Kudos
Annegarn__Paul1
Beginner

Jakub,

Thanks for the replay. Unfortunately, this does not function.

The first argument of SendMessage should be a handle to the button.

I used:

Integer  hButton
hButton = GetDlgItem( gdlg.Hwnd, IDOK )
iRet = SendMessage( hButton, WM_COMMAND, BN_CLICKED, IDOK )
iRet = DlgModal( gdlg )

This construction still does not function.

I also tried without succes
iRet = SendMessage( gdlg.hwnd, WM_COMMAND, BN_CLICKED, IDOK )

Does anyone have an idea?

0 Kudos
ZlamalJakub
New Contributor III

I am sorry, it was mistake from my side. Reading Microsoft documentation I suppose it should be something like

iRet = SendMessage( gdlg,WM_COMMAND,MAKELONG(IDOK,BN_CLICKED),0)

I.e. wParam is constituted from notification message BN_CLICKED in Higher word and ID of button in lower word.

I didn't tested it.

0 Kudos
Annegarn__Paul1
Beginner

Hi Jakub,

Thanks again. Regretfully it is still not working.

I tried gdlg.Hwnd a sthe 1st argument should be a handle and not the complete dialog structure.

I also tried hButton = GetDlgItem( gdlg.hWnd, IDOK ) instead of gdlg.

No succes.

If you have more ideas it would be great.

0 Kudos
ZlamalJakub
New Contributor III

You are creating modal dialog box. It means it does not return from dialog box subroutine until its OK button is clicked. If you want to click its button you need to do it from another thread (because your main code thread is blocked by modal dialog box). Another possibility is to use Modeless dialog box.

I did not noticed that you are using Intel Fortran dialog boxes routines. I have expected you use win32 routines.

I created simple dialog box application. Before calling DlgModal function is created another thread, which waits 10 seconds and then calls routine DlgAppApply associated with apply button

call DlgAppApply( gdlg, IDM_APPLY, dlg_clicked)

This routine handles button press and exits from dialog box.

0 Kudos
Annegarn__Paul1
Beginner

Hello Jakub,

I understand what you say about modal dialog-boxes. I was thinking of sending a button push in advance that would then be added to some kind of stack.

Thanks a lot for your example. This works fine.

Could you please explain what is the part about "!! Read and process messages" ? If I leave it out it seems to work as well. It looks like a part of the DlgModal software itself.

Paul

0 Kudos
ZlamalJakub
New Contributor III

Part

! Read and process messsages
    do while( GetMessage (mesg, NULL, 0, 0) ) 
       if ( DlgIsDlgMessage(mesg) .EQV. FALSE ) then
           bret = TranslateMessage( mesg )
           lret  = DispatchMessage( mesg )
       end if
    end do

was declared by template which was used to define Dialog application. It is part of every Windows application. Every mouse movement, key press, ... is send to message queue of application and it is processed in this loop.

Modal dialog box manages those messages itself.

I think for automatic control of your application will be better to not display dialogs and simply run only code doing calculations. It means to separate user interface and calculation code.

0 Kudos