Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Slooow output and directory issue

grg99
Beginner

Two things I've noticed:

(1) If you accidentally forget to specify a library,I get about 666 linker errors. No problem.

*But* with VS8 and IVF 9.1, the linker messages appear at about 10 lines per second. On a 3.3. GHZ PC. With VS6 and CVF they appeared at least ten times faster.

It's kinda annoying to have the PC slow to a crawl for a minute every time I forget to specify the right library. Any ideas?

(2) I'd like to put all the compiler generated .mod and .obj files in a static place. No Problem, the IDE and command line have a place for the /module:C:Mod option.

There's also the /object: option. *but* even thought he IDE help and the manual say you can specify a directory name here, it doesnt seem to work that way. For example if you specify: "/object:C:Bin", all the object files end up in a "C:Bin.Obj" file!

Please advise.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You might want to check the length of the "Libraries" directory list in Tools..Options..Intel Fortran. Unfortunately, what you're seeing is the MS linker which we have no control over.
0 Kudos
grg99
Beginner

Thanks Steve, I'm an idiot again-- while driving home my subconcious said "that's a linker and VS8 thing.... nothing to do with IVF !"

So how about this to prevent 98% of library problems:: Can you have a Browse... button so one can actually browse and find the library? Having a little teensy box into which you must type the exact correct path to Q:NetLibsFortranIVFOurLibsLatestCrash.Lib ... that's very 1979.

Same for all the other places one can mistype a path or file name.

------

And there was q #2, about the /object:path thingy that doesnt seem to work as expected or documented... Pls advise.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The /object switch specifies a file, not s directory. I think you want to set the Output Directory property (General page).
0 Kudos
grg99
Beginner

>The /object switch specifies a file, nota directory.

Yes, that's the way it works in real life.

But both the IDE help and the thick manual, they both clearly say you can specify a file or a directory. :(

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ah, I see. You need to specify the trailing backslash if you want it to be a directory, otherwise it looks like a filename.
0 Kudos
grg99
Beginner

> You need to specify the trailing backslash if you want it to be a directory, otherwise it looks like a filename.

Is this an inspired guess, or did you actually try it?

I tried that yesterday, and still got the ridiculous C:Bin.Obj file. Maybe because somebody keeps stripping off the trailing backslash when it builds the command line.

Even so, it's inconsistent with the way the /Module: option works, as /Module doesnt need the disappearing trailing backslash in ordert to work as expected.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, I tried it, and it worked. /module is different because you cannot specify the name of the output .mod file.
0 Kudos