Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28630 Discussions

Slow response after integrated VS2013 and Intel@ Parallel Studio XE 2015

Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear all,

I have installed VS2013 and Intel@ Parallel Studio XE 2015 in Windows 7 64 bit machine and have a project with C++ and Fortran mixed programing. Now a very troublesome thing is that after opened the project and edit the Fortran code (the .f90 file size is more than 1 MB), the response of VS2013 is very slow, and with the time of editing, the response is more and more slow. However, there is no any problem when editing C++ code.

Other two facts:

1) if I only open the Fortran souce file from a new VS2013 window, it is also no problem.

2) if I edit another small size Fortran file in this project, for example, about 100 KB, the response is much more faster.

Do anyone have similar problem? How do you solve this kind of problem?

Thanks,

Zhanghong Tang

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I have noticed issues when a left parenthesis is typed - the editor is trying to see if it matches any routines, and seems to take a while to do that. Are you seeing this with other typing?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Does the editor attempt to find a matching parenthesis (or one of the other paired delimiters, such as [],{}, etc.) across subprogram boundaries within a source file?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Not that I am aware of.

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear Steve and mecej4,

Thank you very much for your kindly reply. What you mean is the grammar error that lead to the editor's slow response, but the code can be compiled successfully. On the other hand, it is possible to disable the editor find the matched part?

Thanks,

Zhanghong Tang

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

It's not a matched pair search. Rather, it is looking at all of the functions you declare to see if it can provide help with the arguments. (Microsoft calls this Intellisense.)

Try this. In Visual Studio, select Tools > Options > Text Editor > Fortran > Advanced. Change all of the entries there to False and see if that makes the problem go away. You may have to restart Visual Studio to have it take effect.

I will send a report to the developers based on my own observations. Just to verify - is it when you type a left parenthesis that you have a long delay? Or is it something else?

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. For your verification: The editor has a long delay after typing everything, for example, a return.

I checked the options you suggested, I found the original setting is almost all be 'false' except

Enumerate Comment Tasks

and

Enable Outlining

Now I have changed these two terms to false and restarted the VS2013.

We will wait for some time for the slow response if the problem is still exist.

Thanks,

Zhanghong Tang

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear Steve,

It seems that it is no use to disable these two terms. After typing several lines code and comments, the editor began to be slow again.

Thanks,

Zhanghong Tang

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok, you have a different problem then, and not one I have seen. Are you willing to provide the source file you're editing? I suggest submitting a problem report to Intel Premier Support and attach a ZIP of the source file.

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your kindly reply. I think the code is not special, except the file size is large (more than 1 MB). Oh, several features forgot to say, I always edit and debug the program by Remote Desktop Connection (the local network so needn't worry about network speed), and the program is a C++/Fortran mixed project (the main program is Fortran and C++ project generate DLL).

Thanks,

Zhanghong Tang

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Please try this editing on the local computer. Using Remote Desktop may be contributing to the issue.

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear Steve,

A special test to work on that cluster node is done and the problem is still exist.

Thanks,

Zhanghong Tang

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I just tried a remote terminal session with a 2.2MB source file and didn't see any unusual slowness. It still might have to be related to your source file. I suggest you file an Intel Premier Support issue and attach your file. I will be away the next two weeks so won't be able to respond myself.

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear Steve,

It seems that there are some new clues about this problem. I am used to open two windows (Windows->New Window) to a source file and split the windows into left and right part (Windows->New Vertical Tab Group). I said before that if I only open the source file in a new VS2013 instance, the code can be edited without any slow response, even the window are split into left and right part. However, I found that if I open another source file and also view the code in left and right window (i.e., there are two source files opened in both left and right windows), the VS2013 instance is also appear to be slow response as the time of code editing. I wish you can reproduce this problem by this way.

Thanks,

Zhanghong Tang

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I will try this as soon as I can.

0 Kudos