Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

Solutions and Backward Compatibility

Ralf
Beginner

Are solutions/projects backward compatible?

I use VS 2010 with the latest IVF compiler (12.1.0.233) - colleagues use VS2008 and also 2005 and I would like to share a solution/project.

Cheers

-Ralf

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bendel_boy1
Beginner
The solutions are not backwards compatible. (or, at least, VS in improting a project puts up a message that the solution needs to be upgraded, and that the upgrade will not be backwards compatible). But it is easy enough to create in the oldest version, and use that with the later versions, as they will upgrade to their format.
0 Kudos
Ralf
Beginner

Thanks, that does not really help though

It would be good if one could save projects for 2008, or for 2005 versions.

Cheers

-Ralf
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There's two levels of compatibility here for Fortran. One is the solution level, which is regulated by VS. The other is the Fortran level. We change the Fortran project version less frequently. VS does not provide any level of backward compatibility in .sln files, and Intel Fortran also does not provide backward compatibility, though as I noted it tends to be less of an issue. We are still using "11.0" as the project version.
0 Kudos