Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26740 Discussions

Speed of REAL*8 and COMPLEX*8 number multiplication

Kumara_M_
Beginner

Hi,

I need to compare the speed of operation of REAL*8  and COMPLEX*8 number multiplication/ summation process. I used following code for that.

I presumed that real number multiplication should be at least 4 times faster than the complex number multiplication. Because mathematically we can show, to get the product of two complex numbers (e.g. product of  X= a+ib and Y=c+id  can be given as  X*Y=a*c-b*d+i(a*d+b*c) ) we need to do 4 real number multiplications.

However, when I run following code in my computer I did't see that such a difference between real and complex number multiplication process. Sometime real number multiplication time is solver than the complex number.

How that is possible to get such a results?

Is this because of that complex number multiplication process is being parallely processed?

Thanks,

Kumara

=============code=============================

REAL*8 :: realA(10000) ,realB(10000),realC(10000), startTime, midTime, endTime, Total_realTime, Total_complxTime
    COMPLEX*8 cmplxA(10000), cmplxB(10000), cmplxC(10000)
    integer I, K

realA = 1.0111143434
    realB = -1.111143434

cmplxA = (1.0111143434, 1.0111143434)
    cmplxB = (1.111143434, -1.0111143434)

CALL CPU_TIME(startTime)

DO I =1,10000000000
            DO K =1, 10000
                realC(K) = realA(K)*realB(K)+realA(K)*realB(K)
            ENDDO
    ENDDO 

CALL CPU_TIME(midTime)

DO I =1,10000000000
            DO K =1, 10000
                cmplxC(K) = cmplxA(K)*cmplxB(K)+cmplxA(K)*cmplxB(K)
            ENDDO
    ENDDO 

CALL CPU_TIME(endTime)

Total_realTime= midTime - startTime
    Total_complxTime = endTime- midTime

WRITE(*,*) 'REAL NUMBER OPERATION TIME', realTime
    WRITE(*,*) 'COMPLEX NUMBER OPERATION TIME',complxTime

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Martyn_C_Intel
Employee

This is because you are doing double precision real multiplication but single precision complex multiplication.

I think the misunderstanding is in COMPLEX*8  -  this allocates 8 bytes to the complex number, so it consists of two 4-byte reals, i.e., single precision.

If you would use COMPLEX(8) instead, the complex data type consists of two 8-byte reals, so 16 bytes in all.  (Reals don't have this problem, REAL*8 is the same as REAL(8) ).  If you run with COMPLEX(8), you should see that complex multiplications run several times slower than real ones, since you are doing 4 real multiplications, an addition and a subtraction. (And possibly a shuffle, if part of a vectorized loop).

Kumara_M_
Beginner

It make sense, thank you very much