Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28500 Discussions

Standard Graphics: User text not displayed

bendel_boy1
Beginner
Before requesting text-based data entry I set the text & graphics foreground colour to code 15 (default: white), and the background to 0 (default: black).

On the first pass the user text is visible.

AFter I then plot a graph, and return to the text menu, the prompts are displayed, but the user text is no longer displayed - it appears to be black text on black, as the keystokes are correctly recognised.

What do I have to do to get the display to correct for text?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Perhaps a small test case would help us help you.
0 Kudos
bendel_boy1
Beginner
Is this acceptable?

Compile as standard graphics.

Run. Take [ENTER] to get past the help screen request.
Enter 9 to run the one option. (Any other key will exit).

Try entering 90, 90, [Enter].

[Enter] to get past the text-based graphics; [Enter] at the QuickWin graphic.
No to adding confidence intervals.

You should then be back to the submenu for option 9, where your keyed-in text is not visible. If you select 0 to return to the main index you again have your user text invisible at the main menu.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Missing QQQQDEMO.FOR.
0 Kudos
bendel_boy1
Beginner
Sorry.

The file has the following:

C
C QQQQDEMO.FOR Include file...
C ============

WRITE(6,500)
500 FORMAT(///
+ ' |-------------------------------------|'/
+ ' | Would you like ZEBRA to show you a |'/
+ ' | typical application of this module? |'/
+ ' |-------------------------------------|'//
+ ' Type "Y" for the demo, or'/
+ ' just press ENTER to skip it... ')
READ 501, ANS
501 FORMAT(A1)
IF(ANS.EQ.'Y' .OR. ANS.EQ.'y') THEN
Demo = .TRUE.
WRITE(6,502)
502 FORMAT(/' OK: each time you''re asked for an input,'/
+ ' just press ENTER and ZEBRA will supply a '/
+ ' typical value for you...'/)
END IF
C
C=================================================================
C

and may be replaced, I think, by a blank file, as long as you never request the 'Novice' option.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The file is required because there are references to the format labels.

I can reproduce this in version 12.0.4, but not in a future update. My guess is that you've run into the QuickWin bug people were reporting on Win7 that we have fixed. If you want a fixed library, submit a request to Intel Premier Support and ask that it be assigned to me. This fix is for version 12 only and I tested that the problem does not occur with the new library.

Also, I find that when built as Standard Graphics, the OPEN of unit 6 as USER fails with an error - not entirely sure why. If I remove that OPEN, which is not necessary, the program runs.
0 Kudos
bendel_boy1
Beginner
The OPEN to unit 6 ran fine with me - version 9 (!) of the compiler; and without it I had a problem, but that may have been while I was working with appropriate project settings to get graphics displayed.

For now I will leave it as documented as a bug with the compiler, while I see if I can get money to upgrade from Version 9.

Thank you for looking at this.
0 Kudos
bendel_boy1
Beginner
Short term rebuilt in Compaq Visual Fortran 6.1A, as this displays the text correctly. I have flagged up that we need to get permission to upgrade our copy of the Intel compiler.

0 Kudos