Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

Submodule with DLLEXPORT + typebound renamed procedure

Wolf_W_
New Contributor I

Hi,

while moving from IFORT 18.0 to 18.1 i got a linking problem with submodules. The following Code produces a linker error LNK2019 "Unresolved external symbol "FOO" in function "MOD_A_mp_SOME_ROUTINE".

module MOD_A

type, public :: BAR_TYPE
    contains
      procedure, nopass :: foo    => special_foo
  end type BAR_TYPE

interface
    module subroutine special_foo()
      !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT :: special_foo
    end subroutine special_foo
  end interface

contains

subroutine some_routine()
    !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT :: some_routine
    type(BAR_TYPE) :: bar
    call bar%foo()
  end subroutine some_routine

end module MOD_A

submodule(MOD_A) MOD_A_S_GERADE
contains
  module subroutine special_foo()
end submodule MOD_A_S_GERADE

This worked in previous compiler versions. It works without the submodule:

module MOD_A

type, public :: BAR_TYPE
    contains
      procedure, nopass :: foo    => special_foo
  end type BAR_TYPE

contains

subroutine special_foo()

subroutine some_routine()
    !DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT :: some_routine
    type(BAR_TYPE) :: bar
    call bar%foo()
  end subroutine some_routine

end module MOD_A

Greetings

Wolf

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

I compiled your program with an internal compiler for 18.0, and it did not get an undefined symbol for FOO.  

It was missing a MAIN routine, but that's not a surprise.  :-)

This lets me believe that it is repaired, and the fix will be in the 18.0 update 2 kit, to be released soon.

As much as I would love to give an exact date for when "soon" is, I can't.   All I can do is say "soon".

--Lorri

View solution in original post

4 Replies
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

See this thread, you may be running into a known issue with SUBMODULEs in 18.0 update 1:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/753974

Wolf_W_
New Contributor I

Thank you for the link. I just noticed, that the DLLEXPORT attribute is not related to the problem. So it is propably exact the same problem.

Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

I agree FortranFan, that this looks like the known submodule linking error introduced with 18.0.1. I filed my error at Intel's OSC on 12/06/2017. However, besides Lorri's answer in the thread above, I got no answer, whether PSXE 18 update 2 will solve this issue completely nor when update 2 will be released.

ps: another example can be found here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/740567

Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

I compiled your program with an internal compiler for 18.0, and it did not get an undefined symbol for FOO.  

It was missing a MAIN routine, but that's not a surprise.  :-)

This lets me believe that it is repaired, and the fix will be in the 18.0 update 2 kit, to be released soon.

As much as I would love to give an exact date for when "soon" is, I can't.   All I can do is say "soon".

--Lorri

View solution in original post