Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Threadprivate allocatable performance issues

Sciannandrone_D_
Beginner

Hello,

I have a parrallel part of a code which uses a THREADPRIVATE ALLOCATABLE array of a derived type which, in turns, contains other ALLOCATABLE variables:

MODULE MYMOD
TYPE OBJ
  REAL, DIMENSION(:), ALLOCATABLE :: foo1
  REAL, DIMENSION(:), ALLOCATABLE :: foo2
END TYPE

TYPE(OBJ), DIMENSION(:), ALLOCATABLE ::  priv

TYPE(OBJ), DIMENSION(:), ALLOCATABLE ::  shared

!$OMP THREADPRIVATE(priv)

END MODULE

The variable "priv" is used by each thread as buffer for heavy calculations and is then copied on a shared variable.

MODULE MOD2

SUBROUTINE DOSTUFF()

!$OMP PARALLEL PRIVATE(n,dim)
  CALL ALLOCATESTUFF(n,dim)
  CALL HEAVYSTUFF()
  CALL COPYSTUFFONSHARED()
  !$OMP END PARALLEL

END SUBROUTINE DOSTUFF

SUBROUTINE ALLOCATESTUFF(n,dim)
USE MYMOD, ONLY : priv

ALLOCATE(priv(n))
DO i=1,n
  ALLOCATE(priv(i)%foo1(dim))
  ALLOCATE(priv(i)%foo2(dim))
ENDDO

END SUBROUTINE ALLOCATESTUFF

SUBROUTINE COPYSTUFFONSHARED()
USE MYMOD
END SUBROUTINE COPYSTUFFONSHARED

SUBROUTINE HEAVYSTUFF()
USE MYMOD, ONLY : priv
END SUBROUTINE HEAVYSTUFF

END MODULE

I'm running this code on a machine with two CPUs, each one with 10 cores, and I'm experiencing a strong loss of performance when passing the limit of 10 threads: basically, the codes scales linearly up to 10 threads, and then the slope is strongly reduced after this barrier. I obtain a very similar behavior on a machine with 8 CPUs, each one with 4 cores but this time the loss is around 5/6 threads.

As order of magnitude "n" of priv is small (less than 10), whereas "dim" for each "foo" is of the order of some milions. 

What I guess from this behavior is that there's a sort of bottleneck in accessing the memory because of the connection between the CPUs. The strange behavior is that if I mesure separately the time required for doing HEAVYSTUFF and COPYSTUFFONSHARED, it is HEAVYSTUFF that slowes down, whereas COPYSTUFFONSHARED has an "almost linear" speed-up.

The question is: am I assured that the memory in a THREADPRIVATE derived type will be actually allocated locally on the CPU to which the thread belongs? If so, what else can be the explanation of this behavior? Otherwise, how can I force data locality?

Thank you

0 Kudos
0 Replies