Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Tools to format F90 document

sindizzy
Novice

I recently inherited a medium sized program based on F90. My company currently uses Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011. One thing that makes it difficult to work on the code is that the prior developer's formatting is incredibly non-standard. Indentations are random and lead to wrong interpretations.

So my question...would Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011, newer Intel studios, or any other software out there be able to format the code for better experience?

I am only looking to fix indentations and NOT the logic, var names, etc. Essentially the same function on an MS Visual Studio C# project and menu Edit>Advanced>Format Document.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Download VS 2022. 

you may have to install Intel Fortran

Open document 

Edit -> advanced -> Format document works a treat for f90, can need some fixing for for files.

0 Kudos
sindizzy
Novice

Dont have Intel Fortran that supports VS2022.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I think Format Document will work on the version you have (though it is ancient.)

0 Kudos
sindizzy
Novice

Already tried. The Format option is not there. At least in the VS that is supported by Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Another easy-to-use utility for fixing indentation is the FINDENT tool. 

sindizzy
Novice

Im tryin that tool but extremely difficult to set up Python. Maybe it was because im using PyCharm.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

@sindizzy wrote:

"Im tryin that tool but extremely difficult to set up Python. Maybe it was because im using PyCharm."

What? Findent does not use Python. You download and extract a zip file, and you have findent.exe ready to work on your Fortran source files. In a command window, if you type

findent < old.f > new.f

the program will read the source lines in file old.f and output a polished version to file new.f. 

0 Kudos
sindizzy
Novice

I see. I think we were talking about two different findents. The one I was trying to use is part of an extension to VS Code and it is written in Python: https://github.com/MFTabriz/findent

I will try the one on SourceForge and see what that produces. Thanks for the heads up.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You could always upgrade to the free Visual Studio 2022 and Intel Fortran Compiler (from the oneAPI HPC Toolkit - also free.) There's not likely a good reason to be stuck on a ten-year-old compiler.

0 Kudos
sindizzy
Novice

I will try that. I didnt know about the oneAPI HPC Toolkit so will give that a shot.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
sindizzy
Novice

I checked out Intel oneAPI and that may be our path forward. Thanks so much for the tip.

I did try the for matter within VS and it was good in some areas but failed miserable in others. I think I will try the findent on my source files and then use oneAPI for compiles.

Again many thanks

0 Kudos