Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Unable to change compiler in tools>options

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I have VS2013 Update 5 with fortran 18, 17upd4 and 17upd2. I just notes that under tools>options I can select any of these or indeed "latest" but it  uses 18 irrespective of my choice! Is there an easy fix suggestion? Does anyone know if VS 2017 V15.4  works happily with compiler 18 update 1? I might bite the bullet.....

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew,

unfortunately I can give no information about VS 2017, but VS 2015 update 3 works fine with PSXE 2016u3, 2017u4, 2018 initial and update 1. I can switch between the compilers and the output validates the compiler version.

The Intel integration into VS 2017 might not be as saturated as into VS2015. But that's just speculative.

Good luck, Johannes

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

VS2015 is not an option as MS don't provide the installers, I would rather go to VS 17  if it is stable as that should  be supported by intel for several years. I think the VS17 problems as all sorted it is just if there new ones with 18.1..... 

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

If you have a MSDN subscription, you can download VS 2015 update 3 here https://my.visualstudio.com/downloads. However, I agree its not officially available for download at other locations AFAIK. Further you're right. VS 2017 should be more future safe.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I have the latest VS2017 update working fine with 18.0.1.

As for the Tools > Options setting not being honored, check the Executable Files list to see if there is anything unusual there. Also note that if you start VS with the /USEENV option, the displayed version of the compiler will not reflect the choice you made in Options. Lastly, keep in mind that you can make different selections for 32-bit and 64-bit.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Steve, the problem seems to have gone away now I have loaded one of my own solutions. I was using a new solution with a fortran project from the forum posted a short time back (block data / ICE) maybe there was something in that project the was messing with things?

I know this is a big IF but if I install VS2017 and IF I install 18.0.1 choosing to integrate only with VS2017 would it be reasonable to expect the version in V2014 still to work OK?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Not sure what you mean by V2014, but read https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-older-intel-visual-fortran-versions-in-different-microsoft-visual-studio-versions

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Ah by V2014 I meant VS2013 !!!!!!!!!! D'oh! That link is useful and confirms what I thought was true I think. Thanks

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

andrew_4619 wrote:

I have VS2013 Update 5 with fortran 18, 17upd4 and 17upd2. I just notes that under tools>options I can select any of these or indeed "latest" but it  uses 18 irrespective of my choice! Is there an easy fix suggestion? Does anyone know if VS 2017 V15.4  works happily with compiler 18 update 1? I might bite the bullet.....

With VS 2013, I'm not seeing any problems with selecting Intel Fortran compiler versions.

I just tried that out n a test environment I've access to - Intel Fortran 18.0 update 1 was just installed and it integrated with VS versions of 2013, 2015, and 2017 that are also available on that machine.  The environment also has Intel Fortran 18.0 initial release as well as 17.0 update 4.

In all 3 versions of VS, I was able to select the above mentioned 3 Intel Fortran compiler versions and get them to work.  The selection of "Latest" picked 18.0 update 1 as expected in each of the VS versions and things worked out ok.

The only problem I noticed was with VS 2015: Intel Fortran integration with VS was 'broken' in a couple of other ways:

1. no syntax highlighting of Fortran code and
  2. during debugging, nothing would displayed when one hovers the cursor on a code object.  Don't know if it has to do Intel Fortran 18.0 update 1 or something else, it's a test environment where the admin is always trying out some or the other.
0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

@FF Cheers, my system has 'self healed' and the selection now works again. Though I think I my brave an install os VS2017 Fortran 18U1 soon. 

0 Kudos