Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Unable to decide what to download

Qasim_S_
Beginner

Hi and Good Day!

I have an academic serial and I am interested to download some environment where I can make fortran applications. Now when I try to download, I am given four choices of softwares i.e. MPI Library, Integrated Performance Primitives, Math Kernal Library and Thereading Building Block.

Please help me by pointing out which software to download so that I can make applications in Fortran without buying Visual Studio.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Integrated Performance Primitives and Threaded Building Blocks work only with C or C++ compilers.

Plain Fortran without MPI calls will not need MPI library.

MKL library may be invoked implicitly by Fortran intrinsics including MATMUL, so the MKL library is nearly an essential part of Fortran installation.  You will likely not want the Phi coprocessor support subsection of MKL if you don't have a coprocessor, but there is no offline installer without it.

If you have access to all of the Intel software products, there are choices called ... Composer Edition for Fortran... which do not include MPI nor performance libraries usable only from C or C++.

If your concern is that you have a limited performance internet access, I hate to say it, you may find that downloading a full package for offline installation, using download manager, is better than on-line install. 32-bit "ia32" and 64-bit "Intel64" compilers aren't available separately, so it is fairly time consuming. The maximum Intel tools package including Fortran, C++, and all other tools, takes about an hour to download in off-peak times on a standard wired internet in USA, and is hardly feasible where internet access is only by metered cell phone.

In order to work without Visual Studio, you require the ifort with Visual Studio Shell.  There is hardly any reason to do this, given the various options for installing Visual Studio, except that Visual Studio is so time consuming to download and install (for VS2015, about 8 times what the full Intel toold package requires).

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The serial number you have is for the free "Academic Research Performance Libraries from Intel". This does not include any compilers. We don't currently offer a free Student license for Fortran, though this is expected to become available in the next couple of weeks. The Student license probably will not include the Fortran IDE based on Visual Studio Shell, but you can use the free VS2013 Community Edition from Microsoft instead.

0 Kudos
Qasim_S_
Beginner

Thank you for your all comments! Let me try and then I will come back what worked out?

0 Kudos
Qasim_S_
Beginner

@Steve/Tim;

What I actually need to do programming in Fortran? Libraries/comiplers... what? and where can I have it from intel?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

If you are a student, wait a few days and we should have something for you that is free. Otherwise you would buy Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

See https://software.intel.com/en-us/qualify-for-free-software/student

0 Kudos