Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Unable to useIntel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Professional Edition for Fortran Windows

Animesh_D_
Beginner

I am using Windows-10

I recently downloaded, Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Professional Edition for Fortran Windows, to evaluate the package. I also downloaded and installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2015.

After installation of of the Intel Parallel Studio for Fortran, I am unable to use it within Visual Studio 2015. I do not see any option for creating or selecting projects.

Per the instructions on getting started with fortran, after installation, I used the following steps.

1. From a command prompt or script, cd to:
    <install-dir>\IntelSWTools\parallel_studio_xe_2016.<update number>.<package number>\bin
    By default, <install-dir> is C:\Program Files (x86), or C:\Program Files
  2. Run psxevars.bat.intel64
  3. I get the error message: ERROR: Visual Studio 2010, 2012 or 11 is not found in the system.

My questions are:

1. do I need to get Visual Studio 2010, 2012 or 11?
  2. If this product is compatible with Visual Studio 2015, how do I get them integrated?
  3. I am attaching screen shots of the error message as well as the opening pane for Visual Studio 2015

I will appreciate all your help in getting me started so I can start evaluating the software package. Thank you for your help.

Animesh

adey@vextec.com

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Did you install VS 2015 first?    It must be installed before the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 is installed.

Also, when installing the VS 2015, if you did not explicitly select installation of the Visual C++ support (refer to the post here, https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/590621) then the PSXE 2016 product's integrations with Visual Studio 2015 will not install and that could be what happened in your case. If so, as per the cited article, do a Modify of VS2015 and make sure the Visual C++box is checked. If you do need to install the Visual C++ support, then after that's complete, then update/modify the PSXE 2016 installation next to install the integration with VS 2015.

Keep us posted on your progress.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Any version of VS2015 other than Express should be recognized by psxe2016 (or current psxe2015) installer.  Installer should confirm early on that it sees your VS2015 and whether you want to integrate with it.   Correct installation should include the set up shortcut e.g. (for winX64)

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /E:ON /V:ON /K ""C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.110\windows\bin\ipsxe-comp-vars.bat" intel64 vs2015"

That opens a new cmd window and runs the vs2015 and Intel compiler environment scripts there.

As you have an evaluation version of psxe, you are correct that you must install a qualifying Visual Studio before running the install.  Now that Microsoft has broadened availability of full versions of VS, there's little reason (other than excessive install time and update hassles) not to use one of those.

0 Kudos
Animesh_D_
Beginner

Dear Tim:

per your suggestion, when I gave the command - "C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.110\windows\bin\ipsxe-comp-vars.bat" intel64 vs2015"

I again get the same error message: ERROR: Visual Studio 2015 is not found in the system

Should I completely uninstall psxe and then reinstall?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Did you install VS 2015 first?    It must be installed before the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 is installed.

Also, when installing the VS 2015, if you did not explicitly select installation of the Visual C++ support (refer to the post here, https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/590621) then the PSXE 2016 product's integrations with Visual Studio 2015 will not install and that could be what happened in your case. If so, as per the cited article, do a Modify of VS2015 and make sure the Visual C++box is checked. If you do need to install the Visual C++ support, then after that's complete, then update/modify the PSXE 2016 installation next to install the integration with VS 2015.

Keep us posted on your progress.

0 Kudos
Animesh_D_
Beginner

Dear Kevin:

Thanks for your suggestions. I modified the VS2015 Community installation per the instructions. Uninstalled pse2016 and re-installed and everything is working, I can start fresh new fortran projects from within VS2015 as well as open existing project.

I have one more question. I am unable to use the codes compiled in the new pse2016 in my new computer (Windows 10, intel64). It seems like the fortran codes are getting compiled for the win32 configuration. is there a setting I need to modify? Will appreciate tips and pointers, on how to make these settings as I start a new fortran project or modify them for an existing project. Please pardon my ignorance for these matters.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I believe the installation you just did for the Visual C++ support adds both 32 and 64-bit support.

Let’s make sure you can create an x64 platform configuration.

Open one of your Fortran solutions/projects, and then open Build > Configuration Manager. Under the Active solution platform, select <New> and under the new pop-up, using the arrow pull-down and select x64. That would create the x64 configuration build target for the existing project/solution.

Do you have this ability to select/create the x64 solution platform for your Fortran solution/project?

0 Kudos
Animesh_D_
Beginner

Dear Kevin:

Many thanks for your helpful pointers. Yes Indeed I can select/create the x64 solution platform. I was able to successfully create an x64 solution. There were still some error messages/warning during compilation and running the exe, however, none fatal. I am copying the messages below. It seems like even though I have selected an x64 solution platform, the project is looking for some System32 files. Is there any way to suppress these messages or are there additional configurations I need to set to make things go correctly? Thank you very much.

'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\vcruntime140d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.110\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler\libifcoremdd.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.110\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler\libifportmd.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.110\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler\libmmd.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbased.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Bayes.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I'm glad we are overcoming these issues rather easily.

The good news is, the "Loaded ..." messages are not errors. Those are informational messages indicating the various DLLs loaded in support of your app running simply do not contain PDB information nor was any associated PDB file found. That’s nothing out of the ordinary. It is possible but not generally necessary to obtain/install PDB files from Microsoft.

You can tailor the output settings under VS to silence these messages; however, I don’t experience with knowing the caveats when doing so. It seems possible silencing all load messages might silence something of importance so keep that in mind as you start to develop/debug your apps.  To silence these particular load messages, use Debug > Options, then under Debugging > Output Window look under General Output Settings and toggle the Module Load Messages to Off.

What I’m afraid I can’t answer either is why these messages have the “(Win32)” tag, when in fact the active build configuration is x64. As I understand Windows, the DLLs under the System32 area are 64-bit versions, so I don't know what that "(Win32)" tag is. I see the same load messages myself. Perhaps someone with some greater experience/knowledge of that can share that insight.

0 Kudos
Animesh_D_
Beginner

Dear Kevin:

Many thanks for your continued and prompt help. as you suggest, since these messages are not critical and besides since they are not preventing me from executing my solutions I am good. Regards

Animesh

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Glad I could be of help.

0 Kudos