Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Unexpected PDB error; RPC (23) '(0x000006BA)' with Intel Fortran Compiler v12.1

Frank_Illenseer
Beginner

Hello,

after switching to the Intel compiler suite 2011.6 (i.e. the compiler versions 12.1) I get on some of my systems the following error at the final linker step for debug builds:

xyz.obj : fatal error LNK1318: Unexpected PDB error; RPC (23) '(0x000006BA)'

and then the linker fails.

The xyz.obj was compiled before from a F90 source using the "ifort" compiler with the "/Zi" switch amongst others. The final linking step is done by using "icl" since also other objects from C code are linked (all also compiled with "/Zi").

I found a long ago similar thing in another thread for the C compiler. - Could it be that this is related?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Frank_Illenseer
Beginner

BTW:

• the same happens, if I use "/Z7" instead of "/Zi"
  • this is not appearing on all systems equally
    • Windows Server 2008 64-bit on Intel CPU compiling with 64-bit Intel-compilers: no error
    • Windows Server 2003 64-bit on AMD CPU compiling with 64-bit Intel-compilers: ERROR
    • Windows 7 64-bit on Intel CPU compiling with 32-bit Intel-compilers: no error
    • Windows 7 64-bit onAMD(?) CPU compiling with 32-bit Intel-compilers: ERROR
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Do you link in ifauto.lib? We had an issue with this symptom during beta but it was fixed for the release. Did you participate in the beta and perhaps are linking to old libraries?
0 Kudos
Frank_Illenseer
Beginner
> Do you link in ifauto.lib?
No, not explicitly (unless it is a default lib that the compiler/linker automatically pulls in).

> Did you participate in the beta and perhaps are linking to old libraries?
No, we did not install any BETA compilers on these machines.

We are compiling on the commandline using the environment as setup by calling "compilervars_arch.bat VS2010" where is either "ia32" or "intel64".
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please show me the full command line you use for compile and linking. If you can attach xyz.obj (in a ZIP file) that would be helpful.
0 Kudos
Frank_Illenseer
Beginner
Compile command for xyz.f90:
ifort -I. -I../../../include /nologo /fpp /MDd /Qdiag-disable:vec /Qdiag-disable:cpu-dispatch /Qopenmp /Od /Zi -c xyz.f90

Linker command:
icl -I. -I../../../include /nologo /W3 /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /MDd /Qdiag-disable:1478 /Qdiag-disable:vec /Qdiag-disable:cpu-dispatch /Qdiag-disable:661 /Qvc10 /Qstd=c99 /GS- /Qdiag-disable:1572 /Od /Zi /D_DEBUG xyz.obj winfileversion.res ../../../lib/libsuperlu.debug.lib ../../../lib/libmetis.debug.lib ../../../thirdparty/zlib/1.2.5/win64_x86_64/lib/md/zlib.lib ../../../thirdparty/CUDA/4.0/win64_x86_64/lib/cublas.lib ../../../thirdparty/CUDA/4.0/win64_x86_64/lib/cudart.lib delayimp.lib ../../../lib/libmagma.lib ../../../lib/libmagmablas.lib ../../../lib/libmagmacontrol.lib ../../../thirdparty/libxml2/2.7.7/win64_x86_64/lib/md/libxml2_a.lib ../../../lib/libf2c.debug.lib ../../../thirdparty/ACML/4.3.0.intel/win64_amd64/ifort64_mp/lib/libacml_mp.lib netapi32.lib ws2_32.lib advapi32.lib shlwapi.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib wsock32.lib /link /fixed:no /incremental:no /manifest "/manifestuac:level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /map /debug /NODEFAULTLIB:msvcrt /NODEFAULTLIB:libcmt /NODEFAULTLIB:libcmtd -delayload:cublas64_40_17.dll -delayload:cudart64_40_17.dll -delayload:cufft64_40_17.dll -delayload:curand64_40_17.dll -delayload:cusparse64_40_17.dll -delayload:npp64_40_17.dll /FORCE:MULTIPLE

Unfortunately I cannot attach the xyz.obj here as it is confidential.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Take out the -I. - you don't need it. Experiment with selectively removing other options, though certainly if you remove /Zi it should prevent the problem. I'll have to ask our debug generation experts for other suggestions, but it will be at least a week before I can do that.
0 Kudos
Frank_Illenseer
Beginner
> certainly if you remove /Zi it should prevent the problem
Sure, but I need a debug compilation for debugging, thus I need the /Zi (or /Z7)

> I'll have to ask our debug generation experts for other suggestions
Thanks, that is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
I am taking this thread private to obtain the .obj files for privacy reasons. I will put a summary of the resolution to the thread publically.

------

Wendy

Attaching or including files in a post

0 Kudos
Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I
This is just to note that we are getting the same error as Frank after upgrading to 12.1 (update 6) with one of our solutions (all the project configurations were building fine in the solution with 12.0 (update 4) and 11.1.060).

On my machine with VS2008, the solution fails to build one project in the x64 Debug configuration. On a colleague's machine with VS2010, the same solution builds in x64 Debug, but fails to build Win32 Release.

Let me know if you want me to submit thisto premier support or otherwise.

Mark.
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
Mark,

The original test case has been submitted to premier but please submit another one if you have a test case request to to be assigned to Wendy Doerner. We will follow up here with the solution of the investigation.

------

Wendy

0 Kudos
Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I
Mark,

The original test case has been submitted to premier but please submit another one if you have a test case request to to be assigned to Wendy Doerner. We will follow up here with the solution of the investigation.

------

Wendy

Wendy,

I've submitted an issue and marked it for your attention: it's 647164.

Mark

0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
Mark,

Thanks. I see the issue, already being worked by a colleague. I am checking with him on status.

------

Wendy

0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
I have reproduced this error and documented with an article.In the case I reproduced, removing a file with only comments in it made the problem go away. Engineering is investigating. The Tracking number isDPD200176390.
0 Kudos
Wendy_Doerner__Intel
Valued Contributor I
Compiling files with only comments is fixed in the 13.0 version of the compiler. Wendy Doerner Intel Developer Support
0 Kudos