Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26753 Discussions

Unexpected behaviour of MERGE function

Drapatow__Thomas
Beginner

I have a weird problem with the merge function. It works fine most of times, but one call produces an unexpected result. It looks like this:

The problematic call should replace every value of P_GES thats smaller than 1d-10 with 1d-10 to catch zeros and negative values. It does so very well, except for the last entries in the array P_GES. As you can see, as the breakpoint is active, the values in P_GES are all very big:

so MERGE should not do anything. Howevery, if I stop the code just one line later:

P_GES looks like this

As you can see, it didnt even replace it with 1d-10, it sometimes chooses completely random values. How can that happen? It always happens for the last entries of this particular array and works fine for all my 1D-Arrays. I also havent seen the problem for the next call with P_GES_I.
P_GES is of KIND(REAL=8), i am using windows 10, Intel Parallel Studio 2018 Update 1 and Visual Studio Community 2017, 15.0.0.+26228.52

0 Kudos
1 Reply
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

why would it replace? 1.0 is > than 1d-10