I am having to uninstall PS XE 2017 because I no longer have a license to use it and I want to clear the decks in VS 2017 in order to install the new FREE API version with Fortran. From Control Panel I selected the program and started the uninstall process.
However, it has now been churning away for a couple of hours now and appears to be stuck at 'Removing component 24 of 135: Compiler and Libraries 2017 Symbolic link.'. The progress bar is being refreshed and has reached about 95% I would would estimate.
How long should this take normally take and what is so difficult about 'component 24'?
I would restart it. In my experience, the only components that take a long time are install or uninstall of VS integration. Those steps can take 3-5 minutes.
2. try uninstall again - usually it will then tell you it is done and remove it from control panel list.
If that has not worked
3. The following method is not recommended by Dr Fortran and he will confirm that shortly but:
4. delete the intel folder with the Fortran installation
5. The next more dangerous step according to Dr Fortran is to use a program like CCleaner to tidy up the registry.
7. Install new
8. It is not that dangerous and if all goes well you are up and running, of course in the event that it does not you may have to reformat your computer.
9. Good luck and you will shortly hear from Dr Fortran saying that this is not RECOMMENDED and if you follow most of the good rules it probably is not.
10 Good luck. (I find crossing your fingers helps - or sacrificing a can of your favourite beer to the Fortran gods.)
Thanks for your offers of help on this. I tried repeating the uninstall but got the dreaded 'Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation..yada yada'. Fearing I was nearing the even more dreaded FUBAR situation, I decided to do a restore and start over. So, hopefully now I have restored my computer and registry to its earlier state.
Here I should ask the following questions:
'Do I really need to uninstall the INTEL composer XE 2017 BEFORE trying to install the new OneAPI compiler into VS2015/17?'
'Do have to uninstall all the updates that have been made to the composer BEFORE I try and uninstall the original Composer ?
I await your replies.
many thanks again