Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Updated to Newest IVF 8.0 build

wiland
Beginner
I need to update my IVF 8.0 compiler to the newest build. It appears that I will need to install the 050 baseline build first (135MB) and then the 053 build afterwards (52MB).
I live in the country where there is no broadband, only dial-up. There will probablybe a new build out by the time I can successfully download 187MB over my dial-up ISP.
Is there a way to get the current updates by CD somehow?
Bruce Wiland
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No, though maybe you have a friend who can burn a CD for you?

If you're willing to wait a few weeks, 8.1 will be out and that will be its own download.
0 Kudos
wiland
Beginner
I had already decided that is what I had to do. I drove to the city and downloaded it on a friend's computer. I guess this means it is of very little value to actually purchase the Intel Compiler on CD. The CD I purchased had version 8.0.1877.2003 (8.0.034) on it. None of my CVF programs wouldlink with this version. I have just now upgraded to 8.0.050 and patched with 8.0.053. The programs seem to be linking fine now.
Since I had to download a completely new and full version to make it work, having purchased the CD was apparently of no value. I should have just purchased and downloaded it online. Is this correct?
The license agreement is a bit confusing to me. IfI buy a new computer in a little over a year, will I be able to reinstall IVF and updates without purchasing another annual support contract?
Am I correct thatif the.lic file is not archived on a CD or other media that I will be unable to reinstall IVF if the hard drive crashes and wipes out the .lic file?
Is there any information yet on what features/fixes 8.1 will add?
Bruce
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The CD you purchased has a license which allows installation of that version only and no later updates. When you registered your purchase, you were sent an e-mail with a new license that allows you to install any compiler released within 12 months of purchase, no matter when you decide to install it. The license itself does not expire- you can reinstall and continue to use versions released within that 12 month window for as long as you like. Renewing support allows you to obtain and install further updates and upgrades.
This late in the cycle of 8.0, yes, buying the download version would probably have made sense.
If you lose the license, you can have another sent to you from the Intel Registration Center.
Fortran 8.1 will not have any significant new features, though it will have improved optimization and support for the new Xeon systems with Intel EM64T. (Free, optional download required for that compiler.) It will have additional bug fixes not in 8.0.053, which is the last 8.0 update.

Message Edited by sblionel on 09-04-2004 05:33 PM

0 Kudos