Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Upgrade or Migrate?

Bob_R
Beginner

Hello,

I have been using Intel Fortran 10.4.0.5 for several years now.  I have recently purchased a newer computer (Dell Inspiron 3910) with Windows 11 Pro.  I am a retired software developer but write programs for myself and a few others.

I now have to make the decision whether to upgrade the compiler or investigate if it is possible to simply move my current version to the new PC.  Is this possible, and if so, what might be the cost, if any?

My situation is further complicated because I also use ISS Winteracter, a Fortran GUI for developing Windows applications.  It would be nice but not necessary to have later versions of the compiler and the Winteracter, but would prefer to spend as little as possible.  As you are probably aware, Winteracter upgrades are NOT cheap.

Please advise as which might be the better choice.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Wow - version 10 is... really old! Furthermore, its included version of Visual Studio Preferred Partner Edition will not run on Windows 11.

The easy choice is to download and install the latest Intel Fortran compiler, which is free. You'll also need a supported Microsoft Visual Studio, but the 2022 Community Edition is also free. See Installing Microsoft Visual Studio* for Use with Intel® Compilers for important information.

I can't help regarding Winteracter. Whether you'll be able to use your existing Winteracter with the current compiler depends a lot on how it was built. It might depend on Microsoft Visual C++ libraries that are no longer available.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Wow - version 10 is... really old! Furthermore, its included version of Visual Studio Preferred Partner Edition will not run on Windows 11.

The easy choice is to download and install the latest Intel Fortran compiler, which is free. You'll also need a supported Microsoft Visual Studio, but the 2022 Community Edition is also free. See Installing Microsoft Visual Studio* for Use with Intel® Compilers for important information.

I can't help regarding Winteracter. Whether you'll be able to use your existing Winteracter with the current compiler depends a lot on how it was built. It might depend on Microsoft Visual C++ libraries that are no longer available.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

575 USD is a lot of money for a program.  Just keep the old computer to make the Fortran programs.  

Bob_R
Beginner

For now I will need to keep the older Fortran and Winteracter on a different computer for writing and maintaining Windows programs.  It appears that the new and the old Fortran compilers don't seem to peacefully coexist on the same machine.

The version of Winteracter required for my new computer will have to wait.  I can't rule this out because it is an excellent (although pricey) product that all but eliminates the need for mixed-language programming.

Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I'm unaware of any reason why the Intel compilers wouldn't "peacefully coexist", given that they don't share a Visual Studio environment and have entirely different install paths.

0 Kudos