Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

Upon reinstall attempt to "open" causes crash

Brebrick__Robert
Beginner

Out of the Dark Ages I come with Compaq Visual Studio 6.1 on a desk top using Windows XP Home Edition. Reinstalled program after installation of new hard drive, power supply, and video card. Can access the sample program Celsius. When I try to open a Fortran program that worked previously, I get a message "Microsoft Developer Studio has encountered a problem.....The error report says "Error signature AppName:dfdev.exe  Appver6.081682 Mod Name: devshl.dll   ..plus additional info such as code, flags etc. Is it a good guess that dfdev.exe is corrupted? I can open a fortran program from Windows Explorer and run it sucessfully . If I try to open from within Visual Studio program,the program crashes.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

dfdev.exe is just a shell around msdev.exe - so anything that goes wrong in Developer Studio will show as a dfdev.exe fault. You can try running msdev.exe directly and see what it does. Try booting XP into Safe Mode and see if the problem still is there.

0 Kudos
Brebrick__Robert
Beginner

Thank you Steve. Safe Mode didn't work. Attempting to locate exe file associated with msdev. Haven't found msdev.exe.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Sorry, I misguided you. There won't be a MSDEV.EXE unless you also have Visual C++ installed. The real guts are in DEVSHL.DLL, but there are support DLLs that CVF provides.

I'm out of ideas, sorry.

0 Kudos