Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Using Visual Studio Debug Execute Immediate: how to reference a variable in calling Fortran routine?

warwickb1
Beginner

In debugging a Fortran routine which does not have direct access to a variable in a calling routine which I would like to use in Execute Immediate for debugging purposes.  I want to know when a special case occurs.

I am using Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 along with a recent version of Fortran Composer.  In Visual Studio 2003, I was able to reference variables from calling routines (I can't remember how but I know it no longer works).  I know that using the Call Stack I can get the value of the variable I want but that is much more time consuming than if I could reference it directly.  Note that the variable I want is "undefined" in the Watch list and doesn't necessarily have its current value.  I can double click on it but it then comes up as 'Undefined'.

Thus, if I have variable VC in the current Fortran routine and I want to use the value of variable CRV in Fortran subroutine CSX in the call stack then in Execute Immediate I would like to do something like

VC - 'CSX'.CRV

Can this sort of thing still be done in Visual Studio Debug using Fortran?  It wouldn't appear so from the manual (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sc65sadd.aspx).  Is there a work around for Fortran users?

Apologies if this is not relevant to this topic.  I note that the following query in the forum search provided no help whatsoever:

"visual studio debug  execute immediate reference to fortran variable in calling fortran routine".

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I don't know of any way to do this - only the variables visible in the current stack frame can be used in debug expressions.

0 Kudos