Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

V19 Documentation not integrated into MS VS

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

While I applaud any effort to keep documentation up to date, I also appreciate documentation that enhanced productivity of the reader. I find that the online documentation hampers productivity, when compared to the offline documentation of say Intel Parallel Studio V17. In particular:

a) For use programmers in the boondocks webpage load times are on the order of 8 seconds. This makes for navigation extremely slow.
b) The webpage has Content and Search, but it does not have an index with a brief description as did the MS VS integrated documentation. This change now requires the befuddled programmer to probe the content with 5, 10 or more clicks (each with ~8 second delay) in order to obtain the information desired.

I would appreciate it if the documentation developers take this into consideration.

Note, it might be instructive for them to position a system in the boondocks of the country and then use Remote Desktop to test the usability of the documentation.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chris_G_2
Beginner

I fully agree with Jim. I find the online documentation slow and unwieldy.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

html versions of the current (and previous) compilers are available for download. There are instructions for re-enabling the F1 key, too.  If you prefer, PDF versions are available, too.

0 Kudos
JAlexiou
New Contributor I

Barbara P (Intel) wrote:

html versions of the current (and previous) compilers are available for download. There are instructions for re-enabling the F1 key, too.  If you prefer, PDF versions are available, too.

Even those of us who got frustrated enough and stumbled upon the manual download of the documentation would appreciate having the documentation as part of the install, so as to be the default option.  Also, consider that some compiler environments need to be isolated from the internet, or have to go through several firewalls for security purposes which makes "online" help utterly useless.

Of course, the question is now, how often does Intel release updates to their Fortran compiler documentation?

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

I add my vote to having this included in the IVF install.  It adds extra complexity and requires me to request admin rights again to get the documentation installed separately.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

This is only partial integration of the documentation.

The link on the VS Menu to the Intel Compiler help opens a local copy of Get Started, but all the links within this file point to the website, and so don't open the local copy of the documentation.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

I add my vote, too. Full integration of offline help is a mandatory part of good software for me. And the additional effort to install it separtely is not the solution I prefer.

0 Kudos