Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

VS 2015 hanging when writing a left parenthesis

Emanuel_C_
Beginner

Hi all,

I am facing an issue that when typing code my visual studio is hanging whenever I open a new parenthesis. This issue was previously reported here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/366189 however I am new to FORTRAN and also Visual Studio so I did not understand the solution given. Can someone help me solving this?

I am using:
-Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 -Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
-
Inter Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows 

Best regards and many thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I don't find the option I mentioned in that old post that the developers said they would add. Try this,

In Visual Studio, go to Tools > Options > Text Editor > Fortran > Advanced. Set all the choices to False.  Click OK and restart Visual Studio.

I have seen this problem with very long source files. It doesn't "hang" in that it will eventually resume, but it is incredibly annoying.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

If you are not willing to turn off Advanced features, try entering

) LeftArrow (

IOW enter the close paren first, then back arrow to insert open paren second, and then continue inserting text betwixt.

"fairest tapestrie that I ever saw, I wald that the haill feyldis that is betwix this place and yon war strewit with the same stuiffe"

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Emanuel_C_
Beginner

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:

I don't find the option I mentioned in that old post that the developers said they would add. Try this,

In Visual Studio, go to Tools > Options > Text Editor > Fortran > Advanced. Set all the choices to False.  Click OK and restart Visual Studio.

I have seen this problem with very long source files. It doesn't "hang" in that it will eventually resume, but it is incredibly annoying.

Many thanks for the answers. 
Surprisingly I was facing the problem with very small codes (<200 lines).

From yesterday, I updated my parallel studio to Update 5 and also disabled the hardware graphics acceleration if available under Tools, Options , Environment.

I think it was the update that solved the problem (don't know if it makes sense as I updated Parallel Studio and not VS) since I can activate the graphics acceleration and still works!  At the moment under Tools > Options > Text Editor > Fortran > Advanced I only have the option Disable Database False. 

0 Kudos