Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

VS cannot debug because a debug target has not been specified

Animesh_D_
Beginner

I have created a single solution with 2 projects in Visual Studio 2015 (Community)

1. The first project is a fortran exe (project name is Call_dll_test). This is the startup project as well.
  2. The second project is a fortran dll (project name is MicroDLL)
  3. For the exe project dependency I have linked the dll project
  4. For the dll project command, I have included the path of the exe file

I am able to build the solution successfully without any errors. However, when I start debugging I get the error that - VS cannot debug because a debug target has not been specified.

I am including some screen-shots for your reference.

I would appreciate your help

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

The screenshot doesn't contain the debugging settings of the startup project "Call_dll_test". When you start the Visual Studio debugger it will run the startup project.

Thanks,

Xiaoping Duan

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Animesh_D_
Beginner

Should I change my startup project to the dll? Even when I change the start-up project to the dll, I get the same error message.

In the debug mode, I want to step through the exe code and then eventually step into the dll code as well. How do I achieve that?

Attached are the screen shots of the debug setting of the call_dll_test exe project.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You want the EXE to be the startup project here.

I'll also mention for those who may come here later, the situation where you have only a DLL project and your DLL is called by some EXE not developed by you (Excel, etc.) Here, you set the Debugging > Command project property to be the path to the EXE that will call your DLL.

0 Kudos
Animesh_D_
Beginner

Steve:

My start-up project is the EXE project. If you look at the original post of my problem, I seem to have followed all the recommended settings (I am repeating them in this message for ready reference). yet I keep getting the error message.

1. The first project is a fortran exe (project name is Call_dll_test). This is the startup project as well.
  2. The second project is a fortran dll (project name is MicroDLL)
  3. For the exe project dependency I have linked the dll project
  4. For the dll project command, I have included the path of the exe file

I really would appreciate help in resolving the situation

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

How about a screenshot of Visual Studio with the error message displayed? I want to see the whole VS window. How are you starting debugging?

0 Kudos
Animesh_D_
Beginner

Steve:

attached is screen shot of what the error message I am getting. I am also including additional project property screenshots for reference. Hopefully this is helpful. I start the debugging by clicking the green triangular start button in the top menu bar.

Look forward to your help.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

In the latest PDF, the Debugging > Command property for the CallDLLTest project is blank. You need to fix that. Typically it is set to $(TargetPath)

0 Kudos
Animesh_D_
Beginner

Many Thanks Steve. that was it. once I made the change you recommended, I can start the debugging process

0 Kudos