Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

VS cannot debug because a debug target has not been specified

I have created a single solution with 2 projects in Visual Studio 2015 (Community)

1. The first project is a fortran exe (project name is Call_dll_test). This is the startup project as well.
  2. The second project is a fortran dll (project name is MicroDLL)
  3. For the exe project dependency I have linked the dll project
  4. For the dll project command, I have included the path of the exe file

I am able to build the solution successfully without any errors. However, when I start debugging I get the error that - VS cannot debug because a debug target has not been specified.

I am including some screen-shots for your reference.

I would appreciate your help

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted

The screenshot doesn't

The screenshot doesn't contain the debugging settings of the startup project "Call_dll_test". When you start the Visual Studio debugger it will run the startup project.

Thanks,

Xiaoping Duan

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Should I change my startup

Should I change my startup project to the dll? Even when I change the start-up project to the dll, I get the same error message.

In the debug mode, I want to step through the exe code and then eventually step into the dll code as well. How do I achieve that?

Attached are the screen shots of the debug setting of the call_dll_test exe project.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You want the EXE to be the

You want the EXE to be the startup project here.

I'll also mention for those who may come here later, the situation where you have only a DLL project and your DLL is called by some EXE not developed by you (Excel, etc.) Here, you set the Debugging > Command project property to be the path to the EXE that will call your DLL.

Retired 12/31/2016
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Steve:

Steve:

My start-up project is the EXE project. If you look at the original post of my problem, I seem to have followed all the recommended settings (I am repeating them in this message for ready reference). yet I keep getting the error message.

1. The first project is a fortran exe (project name is Call_dll_test). This is the startup project as well.
  2. The second project is a fortran dll (project name is MicroDLL)
  3. For the exe project dependency I have linked the dll project
  4. For the dll project command, I have included the path of the exe file

I really would appreciate help in resolving the situation

0 Kudos
Highlighted

How about a screenshot of

How about a screenshot of Visual Studio with the error message displayed? I want to see the whole VS window. How are you starting debugging?

Retired 12/31/2016
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Steve:

Steve:

attached is screen shot of what the error message I am getting. I am also including additional project property screenshots for reference. Hopefully this is helpful. I start the debugging by clicking the green triangular start button in the top menu bar.

Look forward to your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

In the latest PDF, the

In the latest PDF, the Debugging > Command property for the CallDLLTest project is blank. You need to fix that. Typically it is set to $(TargetPath)

Retired 12/31/2016
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Many Thanks Steve. that was

Many Thanks Steve. that was it. once I made the change you recommended, I can start the debugging process

0 Kudos