Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28386 Discussions

VS2013 getting confused about which project to build

Jon_D
New Contributor I

Hello,

I am migrating all my Fortran projects from VS2010 to VS2013. I have a VS solution that builds several projects as shown in the attached file. Projects are grouped under folders, and although the names of the projects are similar under two different folders they use different source code files.

In the example shown in the attached file, if I try to build Simulation under the IWFM-2015 folder, VS2013 builds Simulation under folder the IWFM_v4.0, instead. If I remove Simulation from IWFM_v4.0, then the one under IWFM-2015 builds correctly. Obviously, this is an issue because  changes to the source code for Simulation under IWFM-2015 are not recognized by VS2013 and it tells me that all files are up-to-date.

Is this a VS2013 issue or an issue with the integration of Intel Fortran with VS2013? This setup worked smoothly with VS2010.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Jon

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I haven't been able to reproduce this so far. Would you please attach a zip of the .sln and .vfproj files (preserving the folder structure)? I don't need the sources.

When you say "migrate", did you just open your solution with VS2013 or did you recreate the solution and projects?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I don't know whether this is Visual Studio or our Fortran integrations.

Do you see the same behavior for your PreProcessor project?

What version of Intel Fortran are you using?

Would it be possible for you to create a complete reproducing test case that we can provide our integration developers to investigate with? 

0 Kudos
Jon_D
New Contributor I

Steve and Kevin,

I am attaching a zip file with the solution and project files preserving the folder structure as you requested. Both Preprocessor and Simulation under IWFM_v4.0 and IWFM-2015 folders have similar issues. I have also included project files for static libraries these projects depend on. The main solution file is located under the folder "IWFM_BuildEverything" folder.

Regarding the your question on "migration from VS2010 to VS2013"... I did not recreate these project files from scratch since I have a quite a bit of them and several project properties are changed from their default settings. Instead, I am just opening the original solution/project files from VS2010 with VS2013.

Thanks for your help,

Jon

0 Kudos
Jon_D
New Contributor I

I forgot to mention that I am using the latest Fortran compiler (16.0.3.207). Additionally, I have both VS2010 and VS2013 installed on my machine, in case this makes a difference.

Jon

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Not seeing it yet. When I build Preprocessor under IWFM-2015 VS2013 builds that one, if I build the one under IWFM_v4.0 it builds that one instead. I can see this by the SubWCRev command it tries to run, naming the correct path.

Maybe you can ZIP up a buildlog.htm for the wrong build so I can look at that?

0 Kudos
Jon_D
New Contributor I

Attached are three BuildLog.htm files. BuildLog_Simulation4.0.htm is when I build Simulation under IWFM_v4.0, BuildLog_Simulation2015_Incorrect.htm is when I try to build the one under IWFM-2015 folder but it still builds the one under IWFM_v4.0, and BuildLog_Simulation2015_Correct.htm is when I remove Simulation project under IWFM_v4.0 folder and build the one under IWFM-2015.

Maybe I should try to regenerate these project files directly with VS2013 and see what happens.

Jon

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is strange, to be sure. I took your project/solution files, opened in VS2013 and it chose the correct one. Do try a recreation under VS2013 and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Jon_D
New Contributor I

Just a follow-up: VS2013's confusion goes away once I recreate the project files in one of the folders.

Thanks for the help,

Jon

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Glad to hear it. You might have found that simply copying the solution folder "fixed" the problem.

0 Kudos
Lee_B_3
Novice

Greetings,

This sounds like a problem I'm having with VS 2015 and Intel Visual Fortran 2017.   I have a solution containing multiple projects, we'll call them 1, 2, 3.

1) I set 2 as startup project and the debug menu says "2 properties" at the bottom.

2) The Build Menu contains "Build 2" and "Rebuild 2".

3) I have the DEBUG configuration selected.

4) If I click "Rebuild 2" it builds 1 as is shown in the buildlog.htm and confirmed by checking the DEBUG folder..

Assuming this is a similar problem to what was stated above, what exactly is meant by "confusion goes away once I recreate the project files in one of the folders" ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Jon_D
New Contributor I

Lee,

In my case, I was opening the solution and project files that were created using VS2010. I ended up recreating those files from scratch using VS2013. This helped solve my problem.

Jon

0 Kudos
Roman1
New Contributor I

This sounds like the problem that I also discovered.  Can you look at my old post and solution at:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/610396#comment-1874253

0 Kudos