Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Very long computational time for Abaqus standard analysis with umat

Singh__Vikram
Beginner

Hi, I have written an Abaqus (standard) umat for an elastoplastic model with explicit integration and automatic error control. Results with this user material matches exactly with the results published in literature.

The issue is that it takes very long time to complete the job even with 100 elements. I have checked continuum Jacobian ​at the end of all step increments which is found to be correct and the quadratic convergence is also achieved within 3-4 iterations.

Could anyone explain this? Does the way how I code my umat in fortran affects the Abaqus job computational time? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

It may help if you can show your code (or some of the CPU intensive part of the code).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Greg_T_
Valued Contributor I

Do you have a separate "main" program that can run the umat subroutine by itself?  I've found that is a useful way to test and debug an Abaqus user subroutine by itself.  I would expect the umat routine to be called for each element integration point, so you could simulate that from the main program by calling the umat routine within a loop, which might help investigate the slow performance.

Regards, Greg

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Can you use VTune for CPU profiling?

0 Kudos
Singh__Vikram
Beginner

Hi Jim and Greg,

Thank you for your responses. Greg's advice worked for me and I could make my umat code computationally more efficient.

Regards,

Vikram

0 Kudos