Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

View shared memory variables in the debugger

Merik_G_
Beginner

I have the same question that seems to still be a problem in Intel Fortran XE 2016 integrated with Visual Studio 2015.  I create a shared section (memory) in a DLL and change the values via FORTRAN.  The code is working fine; however, when I try to change the value in the debugger, the shared memory does not get written.

The code for the shared section is this:

extern "C"

{

#pragma data_seg(".MYSEC")

__declspec (dllexport) char abcbuffer[ABCSIZE] = { 0 };

#pragma data_seg()

#pragma comment(linker, "-section:.MYSEC,rws")

}

The code for the FORTRAN program is this:

program FortranExecutable

implicit none

INTEGER*4 VAR1

INTEGER*4 VAR2

COMMON /ABCBUFFER /

& VAR1,VAR2

!ms$attributes dllimport :: ABCBUFFER

!ms$attributes C, alias : 'abcbuffer' :: ABCBUFFER

PRINT*, VAR1

PRINT*, VAR2

VAR1 = 123

VAR2 = 234

PRINT*, VAR1

PRINT*, VAR2

READ(*,*) VAR1,VAR2

end program FortranExecutable

When I run the program I get the following output:

When I run the program a second time while the first is still running, you can see that the shared memory is set and I get the following output:

Now if I start again and break in the first program before the second set of "prints" and set the value VAR1 to 777, the "prints" will see the new value

But if I run the program a second time, the second program does not see the value changed through the debugger and I get the following again:

Why is it when the value is changed in the debugger, the second program does not see the change?

I attached the program.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IanH
Black Belt

I just tried your program with the integration from the current beta, and I see propagation of changes made in the debugger across two processes.

I would expect that if any level of optimisation was active, your assumptions around how things will be communicated via a shared segment will be invalidated - i.e. the sort of issues that the VOLATILE may help with.  You will also need to be mindful of race conditions - if you have multiple processes accessing the shared memory, how are you synchronising them?