Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28630 Discussions

Vistual Studio not displaying C/C++ strings in debugger after Fortran compiler install

afriesen3
Beginner
Everyone,

I am currently evaluating the Intel Fortran compiler for Visual Studio on Windows. After installing the fortran compiler, Visual Studio no longer displays the string stored in char/wchar_t variables in the Autos/Locals/Watch windows in the "Value" column when debugging without using a visualizer. The address of the string is displayed, but the the value. Is there any way to get the string to display in the Value column and not have to use the visualizer? This greatly reduces my productivity when debugging.

Thanks,

Aaron
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Which Visual Studio version (2003, 2005, 2008) are you using? I haven't heard of this problem before but it's probably a simple mixup in the installation of the Fortran debug expression evaluator. Is this a C/C++ only program or is it mixed with Fortran?
0 Kudos
afriesen3
Beginner
Which Visual Studio version (2003, 2005, 2008) are you using? I haven't heard of this problem before but it's probably a simple mixup in the installation of the Fortran debug expression evaluator. Is this a C/C++ only program or is it mixed with Fortran?
Sorry for not including version information. 2005 on Vista SP1. Both c/c++ only and mixed with Fortran.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ok, time for some experiments. Open the folder C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7PackagesDebugger (If you installed VS into some other path, change accordingly).

Test 1. Rename the file ForDbgSW.dll to ForDbgSWXx.dll. Restart Visual Studio and debug your C++ program. What happens?

Test 2. Rename ForDbgSWX.dll back to ForDbgSW.dll. Rename ForDbgEE.dll to ForDbgEEX.dll. Restart Visual Studio and debug your C++ program. What happens?

Test 3. Rename ForDbgEEX.dll back to ForDbgEE.dll. Uninstall Visual Fortran. Debug your C++ program. What happens?

Test 4. Reinstall Intel Visual Fortran and try debugging. What happens?
0 Kudos
afriesen3
Beginner
Ok, time for some experiments. Open the folder C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7PackagesDebugger (If you installed VS into some other path, change accordingly).

Test 1. Rename the file ForDbgSW.dll to ForDbgSWXx.dll. Restart Visual Studio and debug your C++ program. What happens?

Test 2. Rename ForDbgSWX.dll back to ForDbgSW.dll. Rename ForDbgEE.dll to ForDbgEEX.dll. Restart Visual Studio and debug your C++ program. What happens?

Test 3. Rename ForDbgEEX.dll back to ForDbgEE.dll. Uninstall Visual Fortran. Debug your C++ program. What happens?

Test 4. Reinstall Intel Visual Fortran and try debugging. What happens?

Running under Test 1, works properly, showing the address of the string followed by the string.

Running under Test 2, things fail again, just showing the address of the string, but not the string contents.

Running under Test 3, works properly.

Running under Test 4, things fail again.

Thanks for your help,

Aaron
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Aaron,

Can you attach a ZIP of a small project that demonstrates this behavior? It is something we have not seen before.
0 Kudos
afriesen3
Beginner
Aaron,

Can you attach a ZIP of a small project that demonstrates this behavior? It is something we have not seen before.

Example zipped project uploaded. The zip also contains two jpegs showing the problem with Fortran installed and the expected display with Fortran not installed. For the Fortran installed case (with additional declarations than the not-installed case), notice that for some variables, the strings are displayed, but not always. I was not able to see a definite pattern.

1) Declared as pointer with value in data space: displayed.
2) Declared as array with value in data space: not displayed.
3) Declared as pointer initialized from (1): displayed.
4) Declared as pointer initialized from (2): not displayed.
5) Declared as pointer with value on heap: not displayed.

Thanks,

Aaron
0 Kudos
Jeffrey_A_Intel
Employee
Quoting - afriesen3

Example zipped project uploaded.

Hi Aaron,

I'm going to be working with you on this problem while Steve is away.

I don't see anything attached to your last reply. Did you follow all of the instructions in the note "
Attaching or Including Files in a Post"?

Jeff
0 Kudos
afriesen3
Beginner

Hi Aaron,

I'm going to be working with you on this problem while Steve is away.

I don't see anything attached to your last reply. Did you follow all of the instructions in the note "
Attaching or Including Files in a Post"?

Jeff

I thought I had followed them, but apparently not. Second times a charm, hopefully.

Aaron
0 Kudos
Jeffrey_A_Intel
Employee
I got the file, Aaron, andI see what you've reported. I'll reply here when I know more.

Jeff
0 Kudos
Jeffrey_A_Intel
Employee
The problem has been found. The fix will be available in 11.1.
0 Kudos