Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Visual Fortran Newsletter Articles

38 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

May 1998

"Everything you've always wanted to know about VB Arrays of Strings*
(*but were afraid to ask)"
Lorri Menard

As promised in the last newsletter, here is an article on "How to pass arrays of strings from Visual Basic to Visual Fortran". Actually, it should be called "How DVF can receive arrays of strings from VB", because Visual Basic doesn't need to do anything special to pass the arrays to Fortran.

The structure that VB uses to pass arrays of strings is called a "Safe Array". These are often used in COM interfaces, and contain information about the dimensions and bounds of the arrays within them.

Appended is an example Fortran subroutine that receives a one-dimensional SafeArray of strings from Visual Basic and writes the contents of each string out to a data file. It then modifies the strings, within the SafeArray structure, and passes them back to VB. I've noted the areas of interest with the keystring "!**", and included a long and involved explanation of why you need to do it that way. (Of course, I reserve the right to claim "Because I said so!")

The call from the Basic routine is as simple as this:

[plain] Dim MyArray(2) as String MyArray(0) = "First element" MyArray(1) = "Second element" MyArray(2) = "Third element" Call ForCall(MyArray) [/plain]

Now, let's get into the Fortran program.

[fortran]! ARRAYS.F90 ! This subroutine takes as input an array of strings from Visual Basic, ! and writes each string out to a datafile. ! It also writes various pieces of information about the array to that ! file, for illustrative purposes. ! subroutine ForCall (VBArray) !dec$ attributes alias : "ForCall" :: ForCall !dec$ attributes dllexport :: ForCall !dec$ attributes stdcall :: ForCall !** Declare the array of strings (SafeArray) as being passed by REFERENCE. !** This must be explicit. !dec$ attributes reference :: VBArray !** The following module declares the interfaces to SafeArrayxxx use dfcom implicit none !** Declare the SafeArray as a pointer. Use a generic !** integer as something to point to, because the POINTER statement !** requires it. !** When this is declared as a pointer it will automatically expand !** to fit the size of a pointer for the particular platform. Today !** that is 32 bits - in the future, that may expand. pointer (VBArray,SADummy) !Pointer to a SafeArray structure integer SAdummy !** What is returned by SafeArrayGetElem is a BSTR. The structure of !** a BSTR is such that the length of the BSTR is returned in the word !** preceding the pointer, and the string itself is pointed to by !** the pointer. When using COM, BSTRs are coded in Unicode. Through !** experimentation with Visual Basic V5.0 I've found that it passes !** BSTRs coded in 8-bit ASCII. !** Please note: This may not be true with future releases of VB! !** The good news is that it allows us to take some shortcuts for now. !** !** Set up the appropriate structures. Declare a character string !** that is "long enough". It doesn't actually take up any space !** in your program; it is used as a template to describe the memory !** pointed to by the pointer StringPtr character*2000 mystring pointer (StringPtr, mystring) integer i, result, lbound, ubound, length ! Create the data file open (2, file="test.out", status="unknown") write (2, *) "Details of the array passed by VB" ! Get the lower array bound result = SafeArrayGetLBound(VBArray, 1, lbound) write (2, *) "GetLBound gives ", lbound ! Get the upper array bound result = SafeArrayGetUBound(VBArray, 1, ubound ) write (2, *) "GetUBound gives ", ubound !** In this next loop, get each element of the array. This returns a !** pointer to a copy of the string, which can then be referenced through !** mystring. The length of the string is retrieved by the routine !** SysStringByteLen. !** This copy must be freed when we're done with it. write (2, *) "Strings from the array:" do i = lbound, ubound result = SafeArrayGetElement(VBArray, i, LOC(StringPtr)) length = SysStringByteLen(StringPtr) write (2, *) mystring(1:length) call SysFreeString(StringPtr) end do !Done with the data file. close (2) !** This next loop writes a string back into each element of the array. !** Through experimentation I've discovered that you MUST write back as !** many characters as were there before: no more, no less. This loop !** gets the length of the element, and writes back that many characters. !** Once again, the SafeArrayGetElement makes a copy, which must be !** freed. !** SafeArrayPutElement also makes a copy, which is then passed back !** to Visual Basic. Unfortunately, the memory occupied by the original !** strings passed in is still allocated, and no longer pointed to. !Let's try writing back into VB's array do i = lbound, ubound result = SafeArrayGetElement(VBArray, i, LOC(StringPtr)) length = SysStringByteLen(StringPtr) mystring(1:length) = "Element#" // char(i+1+48) mystring(length+1:length+1) = char(0) result = SafeArrayPutElement(VBArray, i, LOC(mystring)) call SysFreeString(StringPtr) end do return end [/fortran]
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

May 1998

"Ask Dr. Fortran"
Steve Lionel

Dear Dr. Fortran,

I know this program who seems to be OK, but he is a little different from all the other programs. (Just between you and me, he is a legacy program. Don't let that get out. It would not be politically correct.)

He started out life written for the IBM 1130 Disk Monitor System with 8k of core storage. He was written in 1130 FORTRAN. The original documentation gives direction as to which switches on the computer must be flipped to invoke certain options. But he is still alive and works well. We still add things to him. He lives on PCs now.

We really don't view him as belonging to us. His original programmers have retired and some have died. So in that respect he is doing better than his creators. We are like park rangers taking care of some national treasure that is to be passed on to our successors.

But lets give this a go. I need some help understanding what really goes on in this guys head. There are many cases of the following coding:

subroutine xyz(n,array)
        integer n
        real array(1)      <-- Note the size is only 1
           . . .           <-- code in here loops from 1 to n.
        return
        end

My questions are:

1. Why does this work? It seems an out of bounds exception should be generated for array since its size is only 1.
  2. In the main program the arrays are explicit shape. What type is array in subroutine xyz?
  3. Is array(1) standard FORTRAN, or is this something that most compilers just allow?

Sincerely,

Robert Magliola
De Leuw, Cather and Co.

Dear Mr. Magliola,

When this charming program was written, in the days of keypunches and storage drums, FORTRAN IV (FORTRAN-66) was the current standard. While FORTRAN IV did have the "adjustable array" feature, (which could have been used in the above example by using "array(n)" instead of "array(1)"), it did not have the "assumed-size array" feature (where the rightmost upper bound is specified as "*") that was to be introduced in FORTRAN 77. Therefore, programmers who wanted to write subroutines which would accept an array of unknown total size would use a last dimension of 1. This worked because the last upper bound is not needed to calculate the position of an element in a Fortran array, and compilers of the time didn't have array bounds checking (or if they did it could be disabled).

Now fast-forward to 1978 when the FORTRAN 77 standard was adopted. It included a new "assumed-size" array feature (which had already shown up as an extension in many vendors' compilers). So now there was a standard-conforming way to say "I don't know what the upper bound is", yet there were still thousands of existing programs that used the old (1) convention and more compilers supported bounds-checking, even at compile-time (VAX FORTRAN did this, for example.) These old programs would suddenly start getting errors, which was not desirable - the Fortran tradition is provide as much upward compatibility as possible. What to do?

The solution was to have compilers treat a last upper bound of 1 as a special case that was equivalent to *, disabling bounds checking (which answers your first question). The a rray in the above example has a single dimension with lower bound 1 and an implicit upper bound of the total number of elements in the array that was passed, though most compilers don't pass that information and just treat the upper bound as infinite (questions two and three.) It is valid to have a multi-dimension assumed-size array, but only the rightmost (last) dimension can have an upper bound of * (or 1 treated as *). If you have a multi-dimension array with upper bounds other than the last of 1, then 1 is what you get.

I hope you have enjoyed this trip back into the history of the Fortran language.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

October 1998

Ask Dr. Fortran
Hey! Who are you calling "obsolescent"?
Steve Lionel, DVF Development Team

Dr. Fortran didn't receive any appropriate questions for his column this time, so he's going to take on a topic that is sure to raise a ruckus each time it is brought up in the comp.lang.fortran newsgroup: Obsolescent and Deleted Features.

Fortran (or FORTRAN) has had a long history of general upward compatibility - Fortran 77 included almost all of Fortran 66, and Fortran 90 included all of Fortran 77. But Fortran 90 formally introduced the concept of "language evolution" with the goal of removing from the language certain features that had more modern counterparts in the new language.

The Fortran 90 standard added two lists of features, "Deleted" and "Obsolescent". The "Deleted" list, features no longer in the language, was empty in Fortran 90. The "Obsolescent" list contained nine features of Fortran 77 which, to quote the standard, "are redundant and for which better methods are available in Fortran 77." Furthermore, the F90 standard said:

If the use of these features has become insignificant in Fortran programs, it is recommended that future Fortran standards committees consider deleting them from the next revision.

It is recommended that the next Fortran standards committee consider for deletion only those language features that appear in the list of obsolescent features.

It is recommended that processors supporting the Fortran language continue to support these features as long as they continue to be widely used in Fortran programs.

Proponents of "cleaning up" the language argued that it would make compiler implementors' jobs easier. The compiler vendors disagreed; most said that they would not remove support for any features since they knew that users continue to compile old programs. Furthermore, deleting a feature from the language means that there is no official description of how that feature, if still supported, interacts with other language features. (The Fortran 77 standard included an appendix describing how Hollerith constants, a FORTRAN IV feature not included in Fortran 77, should work if a compiler chose to support them.) For the record, DIGITAL will not remove support for any "deleted" language features from its Fortran compilers.

In Fortran 90, the list of "obsolescent" features was as follows:

1. Arithmetic IF
  2. Real and double precision DO control variables and DO loop control expressions
  3. Shared DO termination and termination on a statement other than END DO or CONTINUE statement.
  4. Branching to an END IF statement from outside its IF block
  5. Alternate return
  6. PAUSE statement
  7. ASSIGN statement and assigned GO TO statements
  8. Assigned FORMAT specifiers
  9. cH edit descriptor

Descriptions of obsolescent features in the standard appeared in a small font and compilers were to provide the ability to issue diagnostics for the use of obsolete features.

Now we come to Fortran 95. Keep in mind that the Fortran 90 standard did not say that the next standard HAD to delete any of the previously-designated "obsolescent" features, but that's exactly what the standards committee did. Six of the nine "obsolescent" features (numbers 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 ) above were "deleted". Poof! Gone! And guess what - that meant that a valid Fortran 77 program was no longer a valid Fortran 95 program! But never fear: DVF (and indeed most vendors' compilers) will continue to support the deleted features (with optional diagnostics informing you of the fact, of course.)

The Fortran 95 list of obsolescent features includes the remaining items of the above list from Fortran 90 (1, 3 and 5), as well as several new additions. Are you sitting down? Here's the new list:

1. Arithmetic IF
  2. Shared DO termination and termination on a statement other than END DO or CONTINUE
  3. Alternate return
  4. Computed GO TO statement (use CASE)
  5. Statement functions (use CONTAINed procedures)
  6. DATA statements amongst executable statements (betcha didn't know they could go there!)
  7. Assumed length character functions (this means CHARACTER*(*) FUNCTIONs)
  8. Fixed form source (!!!!)
  9. CHARACTER* form of CHARACTER declaration (use CHARACTER([LEN=]))

Needless to say, the inclusion of fixed-form source on this list has raised a LOT of eyebrows... Assumed-length CHARACTER functions (and the CHARACTER* form of declaration) are deemed to be an "irregularity" in the language, which they are, and there are alternatives available, but Dr. Fortran doesn't see these disappearing from users' code anytime soon.

So does this mean that some of these features will be deleted in the next standard, currently called "Fortran 2000"? [Fortran 2003 - ed.] At present, the answer is "no". The standards committee has agreed to NOT move any features from the "obsolescent" list to the "deleted" list for F2K, and furthermore, is not proposing any additions to the "obsolescent" list. So it would appear that, for now, anyway, the "concept of language evolution" excludes extinction, and that should make Fortran programmers around the world breathe easier.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

July(?) 1999

Dr. Fortran says "Better SAVE than sorry!"
Steve Lionel, Compaq Fortran Engineering

In this issue, Dr. Fortran takes on another less-understood feature of the Fortran language, the SAVE attribute.

Back in the "good old days" of Fortran programming, when lowercase letters hadn't been invented yet and we strung our core memory wires by hand, programmers knew that local variables lived in fixed memory locations and, of course, took advantage of that, writing code such as this:

SUBROUTINE SUB
      INTEGER I
      I = I + 1
      WRITE (6,*) 'New I=',I
      END

The idea was that the value of the local variable I was preserved between calls to routine SUB, so that subsequent calls would get successive values of I. (Many of these same programmers assumed that variables were zero-initialized as well.) However, the Fortran language didn't make such promises and, with the advent of improved optimization and "split lifetime analysis" which could make variables live in registers or on the stack, programs which made such assumptions could break.

To accommodate the useful notion of a local variable whose definition status is preserved across routine calls, Fortran 77 added the SAVE statement. If a local variable (not a dummy argument) was named in a SAVE statement, its value at the point of the RETURN or END statement was preserved to the next call to that subroutine or function. Named COMMON blocks could also be SAVEd, but didn't need to be if there was always a routine active in the call tree which used that COMMON. Blank COMMON was implicitly SAVEd. An interesting tidbit is that in Fortran 77, a DATA-initialized variable's value was preserved without needing SAVE as long as you didn't redefine the variable. Fortran 90 removed that last clause for local variables, so that an "initially defined" local variable is implicitly SAVEd, but the catch about redefinition still applies to variables in named COMMON blocks.

One common misconception is that SAVE implies static (fixed address) allocation for a variable. This is not so - in fact, if the compiler can determine that a SAVEd variable is always defined before use, then it could decide to make that variable live in a non-static (register or stack) location. The Fortran standard has no mechanism for saying "static and I mean it" - even the Compaq Fortran STATIC extension doesn't do this. Right now, the best way to ensure that a variable is allocated statically is to put it in COMMON and give it the VOLATILE attribute (VOLATILE is an extension [but is standard in F2003 - ed.]).

Fortran 90 added a new twist to this - ALLOCATABLE arrays. Fortran 90 implied, and Fortran 95 makes clear, that local ALLOCATABLE variables get automatically deallocated and become undefined when the routine in which they are declared is returned from. This has been a big shock to some programmers who figured that the values would stay around. If you want the array to remain there, use SAVE.

Given that many programs assumed SAVE semantics for variables, most vendors, including DIGITAL, had their Fortran 77 compilers give implicit SAVE semantics to variables which were used before being defined. (Note that this doesn't apply to ALLOCATABLE variables.) [Intel Fortran does NOT give SAVE semantics by default.] So why use SAVE? First, it is a lways a good idea to tell the compiler what you want, rather than making assumptions based on a current implementation. Compilers keep getting smarter and what "works" today might not work next year. Proper use of SAVE can also aid with error reporting - some compilers will suppress "use before defined" warnings for variables with an explicit SAVE attribute. It's also good to let the human who reads your code know that you are assuming the variable's value is preserved. That's why Dr. Fortran says, "Better SAVE than sorry!"

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

October 1999

Dr. Fortran and "The Dog That Did Not Bark"

By Steve Lionel

In past issues of the newsletter, Dr. Fortran has discussed an assortment of things, sometimes obscure, that the Fortran standard says. In this issue, he's going to take a page from Sherlock Holmes and talk about things that the standard doesn't say, and how they can bite you as well. Let's start with a simple observation that the standard describes a "standard-conforming program". That is, it establishes the rules to which a program must conform in order to produce results as specified by the standard. If your program is not standard-conforming, then all bets are off - the processor (compiler and run-time environment) can do anything (a common example used in comp.lang.fortran is "Start World War III", though the Doctor is not aware of any implementations which would do this - he would consider this a "quality of implementation issue"). You've probably written many non-conforming programs without realizing it. Got INTEGER*4 in your programs? Non-standard. Use LOGICAL variables in arithmetic expressions (or use logical operators such as .AND. on integers)? Non-standard. What these do is implementation-dependent. If a compiler supports these and similar uses, it does so as extensions to the standard and is generally required to have the ability to detect the non-conformance at compile-time. If your program uses such extensions, it is non-portable and may execute differently on different platforms or with different compilers. However, there is another class of non-conformity that, in general, can't be detected at compile time and which can cause big headaches for programmers who make unwarranted assumptions. Let's start with one of the Doctor's favorites - order of evaluation of LOGICAL expressions. Many programmers write something like this: IF ((I .NE. 0) .AND. (ARRAY(I) .NE. -1) THEN and expect that if I is zero, then the reference to ARRAY(I) won't happen. The program may work on one platform, but get array bounds errors when ported to another. However, the standard allows the operands of a logical operator to be evaluated in any order, and at any level of completeness, as long as the result is algebraically correct. For logical expressions, Fortran does NOT have strict left-to-right ordering nor does it have short-circuit evaluation. The standard-conforming way of writing this is: IF (I .NE. 0) THEN IF (ARRAY(I) .NE. -1) THEN Here's another place where the standard's silence can trap the unwary. What do you see when you execute the following statement? WRITE (*,'(F3.0)') 2.5 Many Fortran programmers expect "3.". But try this in Visual Fortran, as well as in most other PC and UNIX workstation Fortran implementations and you'll get "2."! Why? Well, the Fortran standard says that the value is to be "rounded", but doesn't define what that means! On systems which implement IEEE floating arithmetic, the IEEE default rounding rules are used and they specify that if the rounding digit is exactly half-way between two representable results, you round so that the low-order digit is even. If you're a VAX user, you'll get "3." because VAX rounding uses the "5-9 rounds up" rule, and an OpenVMS Alpha user can see it either way, depending on whether or not IEEE float was selected! The Doctor notes that the Fortran standards committee is working on a proposal for a future standard that would allow the programmer to specify the rounding method, but for now, the standard is silent and you get whatever the compiler writers think is right. Pop quiz time - in a CHARACTER(LEN=n) declaration, what is the lowest value of n that a compiler is required to support, according to the standard? Is it A) 1? B) 11? C) 255? D) 1000? The standard doesn't explicitly say, but one can make a good argument for one of these. Go to the end of the column to see which one and why. The Doctor's point is that there are many compiler limits which the standard does not specify (including things such as the number of nested parentheses in an expression, number of actual arguments supported, etc.). While most implementations have reasonable limits for such things, the Doctor has seen programs which exceed the limits of some implementations (for example, using hundreds of actual arguments) and become non-portable. Just because one compiler supports something, that doesn't mean that all will! There are many other things the standard doesn't say that programmers often take for granted. For example, the standard doesn't even say that 1+1=2, or how accurate the SIN intrinsic must be. An implementation which grossly violates reasonable expectations here would probably be a commercial failure, but it wouldn't be violating the standard! In summary, writing standard-conforming and portable programs is not just a matter of throwi ng the "standards checking switch". You also need to be aware of things the standard doesn't say and to make sure that your application doesn't depend on implementation-dependent features and behaviors. The more platforms you port your application to, the more likely it is that you'll uncover such assumptions in your code. Answer to Dr. Fortran's pop quiz: B) 11. Why? Because INQUIRE(FORM=) is supposed to assign the value "UNFORMATTED" to the specified variable (for unformatted connections) and that's 11 characters long, the longest of the set that INQUIRE returns. No other language rule implies a longer minimum length.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

April 2000

Doctor Fortran in "To .EQV. or to .NEQV., that is the question", or "It's only LOGICAL"

By Steve Lionel
Visual Fortran Engineering

Most Fortran programmers are familiar with the LOGICAL data type, or at least they think they are.... An object of type LOGICAL has one of only two values, true or false. The language also defines two LOGICAL constant literals .TRUE. and .FALSE., which have the values true and false, respectively. It seems so simple, doesn't it? Yes... and no.

The trouble begins when you start wondering about just what the binary representation of a LOGICAL value is. An object of type "default LOGICAL kind" has the same size as a "default INTEGER kind", which in Visual Fortran (and most current Fortran implementations) is 32 bits. Since true/false could be encoded in just one bit, what do the other 31 do? Which bit pattern(s) represent true, and which represent false? And what bit patterns do .TRUE. and .FALSE. have? On all of these questions, the Fortran standard is silent. Indeed, according to the standard, you shouldn't be able to tell! How is this?

According to the standard, LOGICAL is its own distinct data type unrelated to and not interchangeable with INTEGER. There is a restricted set of operators available for the LOGICAL type which are not defined for any other type: .AND., .OR., .NOT., .EQV. and .NEQV.. Furthermore, there is no implicit conversion defined between LOGICAL and any other type.

"But wait," you cry! "I use .AND. and .OR. on integers all the time!" And so you do - but doing so is non-standard, though it's an almost universal extension in today's compilers, generally implemented as a "bitwise" operation on each bit of the value, and generally harmless. What you really should be using instead is the intrinsics designed for this purpose: IAND, IOR and IEOR.

Not so harmless is another common extension of allowing implicit conversion between LOGICAL and numeric types. This is where you can start getting into trouble due to implementation dependencies on the binary representation of LOGICAL values. For example, if you have:

[fortran] INTEGER I,J,K I = J .LT. K [/fortran]

just what is the value of I? The answer is "it depends", and the result may even vary within a single implementation. Compaq Fortran traditionally (since the 1970s, at least) considers LOGICAL values with the least significant bit (LSB) one to be true, and values with the LSB zero to be false. All the other bits are ignored when testing for true/false. Many other Fortran compilers adopt the C definition of zero being false and non-zero being true. (Visual Fortran offers the /fpscomp:logicals switch to select the C method, since PowerStation used it as well.) Either way, the result of the expression J.LT.K can be any value which would test correctly as true/false. For example, the value 1 or 999 would both test as true using Compaq Fortran. Just in case you were wondering, Compaq Fortran uses a binary value of -1 for the literal .TRUE. and 0 for the literal .FALSE..

The real trouble with making assumptions about the internal value of LOGICALs is when you try testing them for "equality" against another logical expression. The way many Fortran programmers would naturally do this is as follows:

[fortran] IF (LOGVAL1 .EQ. LOGVAL2) ...[/fortran]

but the results of this can vary depending on the internal representation. The Fortran language defines two operators exclusively for use on logical values, .EQV. ("equivalent to") and .NEQV. ("not equivalent to"). So the above test would be properly written as:

[fortran]IF (LOGVAL1 .EQV. LOGVAL2) ...[/fortran]

In the Doctor's experience, not too many Fortran programmers use .EQV. and .NEQV. where they should, and get into trouble when porting software to other environments. Get in the habit of using the correct operators on LOGICAL values, and you'll avoid being snared by implementation differences.

However, there is one aspect of these operators you need to be aware of... A customer recently sent us a program that contained the following statement:

[fortran]DO WHILE (K .LE. 2 .AND. FOUND .EQV. .FALSE.)[/fortran]

The complaint was that the compiler "generated bad code." What the programmer didn't realize was that the operators .EQV. and .NEQV. have lower precedence than any of the other predefined logical operators. This meant that the statement was treated as if it had been:

[fortran]DO WHILE (((K .LE. 2) .AND. FOUND) .EQV. .FALSE.)[/fortran]

what was wanted instead was:

[fortran]DO WHILE ((K .LE. 2) .AND. (FOUND .EQV. .FALSE.))[/fortran]

The Doctor's prescription here is to always use parentheses! That way you'll be sure that the compiler interprets the expression the way you meant it to! (And you therefore don't have to learn the operator precedence table you can find in chapter 4 of the Compaq Fortran Language Reference Manual!)

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

December 2000

Don't Touch Me There - What error 157 (Access Violation) is trying to tell you

Steve Lionel - Compaq Fortran Engineering

One of the more obscure error messages you can get at run time is Access Violation, which the Visual Fortran run-time library reports as error number 157. The documentation says that it is a "system error," meaning that it is detected by the operating system, but many users think they're being told that their system itself has a problem. In this article, I'll explain what an access violation is, what programming mistakes can cause it to occur, and how to resolve them.

Windows (the 95/98/Me/NT/2000 varieties) is a 32-bit virtual memory operating system. The "32 bit" means that a memory address is 32 bits in size, potentially having over four billion possible addresses. "Virtual memory" means that not every memory address in use corresponds 1-to-1 with a physical memory address - some may be "resident" in RAM and others "paged out" to a disk file. The other important aspect of virtual memory is that only those address ranges currently being used exist at all - others are not represented. It's like a telephone book, which has pages for only those names of people who live in the city. If a phone book had to include a space for every possible name, every city and town's phone book would fill rooms!

When your program starts to run, Windows allocates (creates) just enough virtual memory to hold the static (fixed) code and data in the executable. As the program runs, it may ask to allocate additional memory, for example, through calls to ALLOCATE or malloc, either directly by your code or indirectly by the run-time library. Each allocation creates a new range of now-valid virtual addresses which didn't exist before. When the program ends, Windows automatically deallocates all the virtual memory the program used.

Since not every possible 32-bit value represents a currently valid address, what happens if you try to access (read from or write to) an invalid address? Yes, that's right, you get an "Access Violation"! Probably the most common address involved in an access violation is zero. Because a zero address is typically reserved as meaning "not defined", Windows (and most operating systems) deliberately leaves unallocated the first group of addresses (page) starting at zero. This means that an attempt to access through an uninitialized address will result in an error. You can also get an access violation trying to access memory with a non-zero addres s when that memory's address range hasn't yet been allocated.

Common causes of the "invalid address" type of access violation are:

• Mismatches in argument lists, so that data is treated as an address
  • Out of bounds array references
  • Mismatches in C vs. STDCALL calling mechanisms, causing the stack to become corrupted
  • References to unallocated pointers

Another type of access violation is where the address space exists but is protected. Usually, the address space in question is set up as "read only," so an attempt to write to it will result in an access violation. In Visual Fortran, the most common cause of this is passing a constant as an argument to a routine that then tries to modify the argument. Visual Fortran, as of version 6, asks the linker to put constants in a read-only address space. Windows NT/2000 honors this, so trying to modify a constant gets an error, but Windows 95/98 (not sure of Me) does not, so the modification is allowed. This is why some programs that run on Windows 9x don't on NT/2000. (It is a violation of the standard to modify a constant argument.)

If you are running your application in the debugger, the debugger will stop at the point of the access violation. You may need to use the Context menu in the debugger to look at the statements of a caller of the code where the error occurred, but this can usually give you a good idea of what might be wrong. Compare argument lists carefully and look for the mistake of trying to modify a constant. Rebuild with bounds and argument checking enabled, if it's not already on (it is by default in Debug configurations created with V6 and later).

So now you know that when you see "Access Violation", Windows is trying to tell you "Don't Touch Me There".

Note from Steve - As of December 2005, Intel Fortran does not put constants in read-only image sections. That will be enabled in an update due in January 2006. Current versions of the compiler do support the

/assume:noprotect_constants

switch which tells the compiler to pass constants in a stack temporary so that the called procedure can safely store to it, with the changes being discarded on return.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

December 2000

Doctor Fortran and the Virtues of OmissionSteve Lionel - Compaq Fortran Engineering

As I was walking up the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I wish, I wish he'd stay away.
Hughes Mearns (1875-1965)

Up through Fortran 77, there was no Fortran standard-conforming way of calling a routine with a different number of arguments than it was declared as having. This didn't stop people from omitting arguments, but whether or not it worked was highly implementation and argument dependent. For example, you can often get away with omitting numeric scalar arguments but not CHARACTER or arguments used in adjustable array bounds expressions, as code in the called routine's "prologue" tries to reference the missing data, often resulting in an access violation (see Don't Touch Me There.)

Fortran 90 introduced the concept of optional arguments and a standard-conforming way of omitting said optional arguments. Many users eagerly seized upon this and started using the new feature, but soon got tripped up and confused because they didn't follow all of the rules the standard lays out. The Doctor is here to help.

First things first. To be able to omit an argument when calling a routine, the dummy argument in the called routine must be given the OPTIONAL attribute. For example:

SUBROUTINE WHICH (A,B)
INTEGER, INTENT(OUT) :: A
INTEGER, INTENT(IN), OPTIONAL :: B

If an argument has the OPTIONAL attribute, you can test for its presence with the PRESENT intrinsic. The standard prohibits you from accessing an omitted argument, so use PRESENT to test to see if the argument is present before touching it. That part is simple.

The part that people tend to miss, though, is that the use of OPTIONAL arguments means that an explicit interface for the routine is required to be visible to the caller. Generally, this means an INTERFACE block (which must match the actual routine's declaration), but this rule is satisfied if you are calling a CONTAINed procedure. If you don't have an explicit interface, the compiler doesn't know that it has to pass a n "I'm not here" value (usually an address of zero) for the argument being omitted, and you could get an access violation or wrong results.

An interesting aspect of OPTIONAL arguments is that it's ok to pass an omitted argument to another routine (which declares the argument as OPTIONAL) without first checking to see if it is PRESENT. The "omitted-ness" is passed along and can be tested by the other routine. What's even more interesting is that the standard allows you to pull this trick on intrinsics such as MAX, PRODUCT, etc.!

There are some additional aspects of optional arguments, such as the use of keyword names in argument lists, that are worth learning about. For more information, see the section "Optional Arguments" in the Language Reference Manual. Another very important reference is the Language Reference Manual, "Determining When Procedures Require Explicit Interfaces.". The Doctor highly recommends this for your reading pleasure. There will be a quiz next week (just kidding!).

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

April 2001

The Perils of Real Numbers (Part 1)

Dave Eklund
Compaq Fortran Engineering

One of Fortran's greatest strengths is its ability to manipulate real numbers. It is astonishing, however, that many Fortran programmers lack even a rudimentary understanding of them. In this series, perhaps we can acquire a better understanding and, at the very least, see how some of the "experts" deal with problems.

Let's begin by asking the simple question, "Which real numbers can be represented EXACTLY?" If I gave you a number, how would you find out if the number actually had a precise representation on any given machine?! In what follows I am going to ALWAYS use a decimal point (.) when I am discussing real (floating point) numbers, and I will NEVER use a decimal point when discussing integers.

So the following would be integers:

and the following would be reals:

Which of the above do you believe are EXACTLY representable as integers or as reals? Why?

Think POWERS OF TWO. If we start with the positive whole numbers, what we find is that both integers and real numbers are internally represented as sums of powers of 2. Now integers are easier to look at, and real numbers do have a pesky exponent field that needs to be considered, but an integer or real like "9" is the sum of 8 and 1, both of which are powers of 2 (2**3 and 2**0 respectively). The main exceptional value is zero. If you view zero as a power of two, perhaps it's time to increase your medication...

Now negative numbers are somewhat different. For integers, we are talking two's complement arithmetic (normally), but for real numbers we just turn on the sign bit in the real number, which the hardware designers so nicely provided. That's all well and good for whole numbers, but how about decimal fractions like .5 and .25? Well, continue to think POWERS OF TWO. Only now it's the negative powers of two. So, for example, .5 is 2.**(-1) and .25 is 2.**(-2) and so on. In point of fact .5 and .25 look identical as far as the "fraction" part of each real number is concerned, and only the exponent changes! As powers of two, both ARE exactly representable.

When you REALLY need to look at numbers, there are several formats that we find useful (alphabetically):

B Binary
E Real values with E exponents
F Real values with no exponent
I Integer values
O Octal values
Z Hexadecimal values

My personal favorites tend to be F and Z. So let's take an up-close and personal look at some whole numbers first and then some fractions.

Try the following program (printing small whole numbers, both as integers and as reals):

integer, parameter :: lower = 0
      integer, parameter :: upper  = 8

do i = lower, upper 
      type 1, i, i, i 
1     format (' integer:  ', i, 1x, b, 1x, z) 
      enddo 

do i = lower, upper 
      x = float(i) 
      type 2, x, x, x 
2     format (' Real: ', f, 1x, b33.32, 1x, z12.8) 
      enddo

end 

It produces:

integer:            0                                 0        0
 integer:            1                                 1        1
 integer:            2                                10        2
 integer:            3                                11        3
 integer:            4                               100        4
 integer:            5                               101        5
 integer:            6                               110        6
 integer:            7                               111        7
 integer:            8                              1000        8
 Real:       0.0000000  00000000000000000000000000000000 00000000
 Real:       1.0000000  00111111100000000000000000000000 3F800000
 Real:       2.0000000  01000000000000000000000000000000 40000000
 Real:       3.0000000  01000000010000000000000000000000 40400000
 Real:       4.0000000  01000000100000000000000000000000 40800000
 Real:       5.0000000  01000000101000000000000000000000 40A00000
 Real:       6.0000000  01000000110000000000000000000000 40C00000
 Real:       7.0000000  01000000111000000000000000000000 40E00000

Real:       8.0000000  01000001000000000000000000000000 41000000

The integers form a nice progression of bits (look at the "b" formatted column). If we look at the reals, using "b" or "z" format, we see a similar pattern. Notice that zero is the same for both integer and real (although for a real we CAN represent -0.0). Look at 2.0000000. There is only a single bit set! And it's way up in the exponent field. How can this be?

Normally we would observe that a real number (IEEE) comprises a sign (high, left) bit, an exponent (8 bits for single precision -- real), and a fraction (the remaining, rightmost 23 bits). When we "normalize" any real number, the fraction gets shifted so that the high bit is "1" and the exponent adjusted accordingly. But if the high bit is always "1", we can elect to just discard it to save space (and add precision), and generally this is done. So the fraction is really the rightmost 23 bits PLUS a "hidden" bit of 1. For a number like 2.0, which is exactly 2.**1, the fraction is 10000000000000000000000 before we toss the hidden bit and, hence, is 00000000000000000000000 afterwards! If you look carefully, you will observe that 2.0, 4.0, and 8.0 all have a zero fraction (rightmost 23 bits). But 3.0 whose fraction starts out as 110000000000000000000 becomes 10000000000000000000000 after dropping the (high) hidden bit. And, of course, there are also appropriate exponent bits to the far left (perhaps discussed in more detail in a later article).

Notice that in these real numbers there are quite a few zeros in the fraction (rightmost 23 bits). ALL small integer values will look like this! For example, let's take 42, which as an integer in binary is 101010 (2**5 + 2**3 + 2**1). The fraction before tossing the hidden bit would be 10101000000000000000000 and afterwards is just 01010000000000000000000, so there are lots of zeros (still) to the right. This is a good indication that we are dealing with an "exact" value (not proof, but it happens a lot).

Let's try another program to look at the small negative powers of 2:

integer, parameter :: lower = 0 
      integer, parameter :: upper = 10 

x = 1. 
      do i = lower, upper 
      x = x/2.0 
      type 2, x, x, x 
2     format(' Real: ', f25.20, 1x, b, 1x, z) 
      enddo 

end

Notice that we used a very "wide" format -- f25.20 so that we can get a better look at the "full" result (all of the nonzero digits). This is a VERY useful trick... The result is:

Real: 0.50000000000000000000 1111110
00000000000000000000000 3F000000
 Real: 0.25000000000000000000 111110100000000000000000000000 3E800000
 Real: 0.12500000000000000000 111110000000000000000000000000 3E000000
 Real: 0.06250000000000000000 111101100000000000000000000000 3D800000
 Real: 0.03125000000000000000 111101000000000000000000000000 3D000000
 Real: 0.01562500000000000000 111100100000000000000000000000 3C800000
 Real: 0.00781250000000000000 111100000000000000000000000000 3C000000
 Real: 0.00390625000000000000 111011100000000000000000000000 3B800000
 Real: 0.00195312500000000000 111011000000000000000000000000 3B000000
 Real: 0.00097656250000000000 111010100000000000000000000000 3A800000
 Real: 0.00048828125000000000 111010000000000000000000000000 3A000000

So these are the first few negative powers of two. Just like the positive powers from the first example, these all have a zero fraction (after tossing the hidden bit). Notice that the actual values in f format all end in "5". And the 5 keeps moving to the next column. This means that ANY fractional sum will also end in 5. The consequence is that if you provide a fraction whose last nonzero digit is NOT 5 (like 0.000276000000) it CANNOT be exactly represented as the sum of any negative powers of two! This is a VERY important point. You say, "So what." Well, this means that lots of "common" numbers are not exactly representable, like 0.10000000 and 0.200000000000000, although 0.500 IS exactly representable. And while some fractions ending in 5 CAN be represented, many cannot. Consider 5.0 divided by powers of 10.:

do i = 1,10 
	  x = 5.0/(10.**i) 
      type 1, x, x 
1     format (1x, f40.30, 1x, b) 
      enddo 
      end 

which produces:

0.500000000000000000000000000000 111111000000000000000000000000 
   0.050000000745058059692382812500 111101010011001100110011001101 
   0.004999999888241291046142578125 111011101000111101011100001010 
   0.000500000023748725652694702148 111010000000110001001001101111 
   0.000049999998736893758177757263 111000010100011011011100010111 
   0.000004999999873689375817775726 110110101001111100010110101100 
   0.000000499999998737621353939176 110101000001100011011110111101 
   0.000000050000000584304871154018 110011010101101011111110010101 
   0.000000004999999969612645145389 110001101010111100110001110111 
   0.000000000499999985859034268287 110000000010010111000001011111 

Hey, only that first one is EXACT! Notice that the others, while "close" to .05, .005, .0005. etc. are not EXACTLY .05, .005, .0005 etc. Some are a little bigger, some smaller (popularly called "nines disease"). In fact, with the exception of 0.500, all the others CANNOT be exactly represented as sums of powers of 2! Observe, however, that only when a wide format is used is this apparent. With a smaller format width, most of these will look just fine due to rounding!

We are finally at the point where we can decide which numbers are EXACTLY representable:

Yes (any small integer is fine)
Yes, small integer + negative power of 2 (.5)
No, last fractional digit is not 5
No, last fractional digit is not 5
Yes, small integer
Cannot easily tell (last fractional digit is 5) [Is actually NOT representable]
Cannot easily tell (last fractional digit is 5) [IS actually representable]
Maybe (small integer, for some value of "small")

To decide the last 3 values, just try the following:

type 1, 3.14159265 
      type 1, 0.000030517578125 
      type 1, 1000000000000000000. 
      type 1, 1000000000000000000.D0 
1     format(f60.30) 
      end 

and observe:

We see that the closest representable real number to 3.14159265 is actually 3.14159274...; 0.000030517578125 CAN be represented exactly (it is, in fact, a power of 2); and while 1000000000000000000. cannot be represented as a real number (can you explain this more precisely?), it CAN be represented as a double-precision number (more than twice as many fraction bits). Once again, notice the use of an even wider format to help get a better look at the numbers! Keep in mind that for a statement like:

type 1, 3.14159265 

the Fortran compiler and runtime library will do a "double conversion." The compiler will convert the string 3.14159265 into a real value, and the runtime system will then convert back to a string (under format control) to produce 3.141592741012573242187500000000. Neither of these conversions is easy, but thankfully the Fortran compiler and runtime library perform all of this heavy lifting!

As a quiz for next time, consider the following program:

i = 1000000013 
      x = i 
      type 1, i, x 
1     format(1x,i,1x,f20.5) 
      end 

It gives:

1000000013    1000000000.00000 

Try to figure out where the "unlucky 13" went!? Why does it come back if we use /real_size:64? Look for the answers in Part II of this article in a future newsletter issue.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

April 2001 (Edited February 22, 2016)

Win32 Corner - ShellExecute

Steve Lionel

Win32 Corner is a new feature of the newsletter that illustrates how to use Win32 API routines to do commonly requested tasks.

The ShellExecute API routine is handy for opening a web page, or any document using its natural editing tool. It's equivalent to right clicking on a file and selecting Open - or you can also choose the default action (whatever is listed first), Print or Edit. I've found it most useful for opening a web page with the user's default browser.

Open shellexecute.f90 (attached) and reference the numbered comments (!!1, etc.) below:

1. ShellExecute is part of the Shell API and is defined in module SHELL32. You could also USE IFWIN.
  2. The hWnd argument is the handle of the owner's window. In a Console Application, NULL is the thing to use, but in a Windows Application you might want the main window, and in QuickWin, use GETHWNDQQ(QWIN$FRAMEWINDOW).
  3. lpOperation (referred to as lpVerb in newer versions of the MS documentation) is a C-string that says what to do with the file. "open" is what you'll want most often, but you could also specify "edit" or "print". If the argument is null, then the "default action" is used.
  4. lpFile is the thing we want to open. It could be an ordinary file, or a URL. Note the NUL-termination to make it a C-string.
  5. If we were opening (running) an executable file, command parameters would go here as a NUL-terminated string. Since the interface for ShellExecute has ALLOW_NULL as an attribute for this argument, specifying NULL is the way to omit it.
  6. You can specify a default directory if you want as a NUL-terminated character string. Again, NULL omits it.
  7. nShowCmd specifies how you want the window to appear. SW_SHOWNORMAL is the standard behavior, but you could also specify minimized, maximized and whether or not to hide the active window.
  8. If ShellExecute returns a value greater than 32, it succeeded, otherwise an error occurred. Note that ShellExecute returns immediately - it does not wait for the opened application to finish.

Try building and running shellexecute.f90 as a "Fortran Console Application". Enter a favorite URL, such as http://www.intel.com/, or the path to a file on your system, then watch it open!

For more information on ShellExecute, look it up in the MSDN Library online.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

April 2001

Doctor Fortran Gets Explicit!

Steve Lionel

In our last issue, the Good Doctor covered the topic of optional arguments, noting that an explicit interface was required. Since explicit interfaces seem to be a common point of confusion for those new to Fortran 90, (and some not so new), we'll cover this subject in more detail.

In Fortran terminology, an interface is a declaration of some other procedure that supplies details, including:

• Name of the procedure
  • Whether it is a subroutine or function
  • If a function, the result type
  • Number, names, shapes and types of arguments
  • Argument attributes, such as OPTIONAL and INTENT

Prior to Fortran 90, the only kind of interface was implicit, meaning that the compiler assumed that a routine call matched the actual routine - all you could do was specify the type of a function. The standard required that "the actual arguments ... must agree in order, number and type with the corresponding dummy arguments in the dummy argument list of the referenced subroutine." Not only was this error-prone, but it made it difficult to support desirable features such as optional arguments and array function results.

The explicit interface, introduced with Fortran 90, allows you to tell the compiler many more details about the called routine. This additional information allows a compiler to check for consistency in routine calls and also enables features such as optional arguments that depend on changes in the way the routine is called. In most cases, an explicit interface consists of an INTERFACE block which contains a copy of the called routine's declaration. For example:

INTERFACE
SUBROUTINE MYSUB (A,B)
INTEGER ::A
REAL, OPTIONAL, INTENT(IN) :: B
END SUBROUTINE MYSUB
END INTERFACE

An INTERFACE block can go in the declaration section of a program unit, or can be made visible by use-association (in a MODULE that is USEd) or host-association (a program unit that contains the one that needs to see the interface.) An explicit interface also exists, without an INTERFACE block, if the routine is a contained procedure or is a module procedure in the enclosing module or a module that is use-associated (and the module procedure has not been made PRIVATE).

While there are many good reasons why you should always use explicit interfaces, including better error checking and improved run-time performance (avoiding unnecessary copy-in, copy-out code), there are some cases where you are required to have an explicit interface visible. These are:

• If the procedure has any of the following:
    • An optional dummy argument
    • A dummy argument that is an assumed-shape array, a pointer, or a target
    • A result that is array-valued or a pointer (functions only)
    • A result whose length is neither assumed nor a constant (character functions only)
  • If a reference to the procedure appears as follows:
    • With an argument keyword
    • As a reference by its generic name
    • As a defined assignment (subroutines only)
    • In an expression as a defined operator (functions only)
    • In a context that requires it to be pure
  • If the procedure is elemental

For more information on explicit interfaces, see Chapter 8 of the Intel Fortran Language Reference Manual.

In closing, Doctor Fortran prescribes using explicit interfaces throughout your application, ideally with an appropriate INTENT attribute specified for each argument. It may be a bit more typing up front, but it will quickly pay off in smoother development and, possibly, faster execution.

[Revisiting this topic in 2008, my advice has changed. You should avoid writing INTERFACE blocks for Fortran code. Instead, put your subroutines and functions in modules, or make them CONTAINed procedures if they'll be called from a limited context. This provides the explicit interface without needing to retype the declarations. - Steve]

[I revisited this topic in 2012 - see Doctor Fortran Gets Explicit - Again!]

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

June 2001

The Perils of Real Numbers (Part 2)

Dave Eklund

In Part 1 we offered the following problematical program:

i = 1000000013 
      x = i
      type 1, i, x
1     format(1x,i,1x,f20.5)
      end
which gives:
 1000000013     1000000000.00000

Where did the "unlucky 13" go!? Why does it come back if we use /real_size:64? Let's look a little more closely at the distribution of integer and real numbers. You will recall that any integer is represented simply as the sum of POSITIVE (and zero) powers of 2, and there is no exponent field. This results in a flat distribution of values from -2**31 all the way up to 2**31-1, or -2147483648 up to 2147483647. Every integer value between these end points is included. There is only one value of zero. There is one value which does not have a counterpart of opposite sign (-2**31). Notice that this means that all of the integer values are "evenly spaced" across the entire range.

The same general statements hold for all the other integer types (KIND = 1, 2, and 8 or their non-standard namings: integer*1, integer*2 and integer*8). All evenly spaced, and no exponent field. Not having an exponent field means, in effect, that there are 31 contiguous bits of "value" in an integer, whereas there are only 24 such bits in a real number (the 23 fraction bits and the hidden bit). In a real number the rest of the bits are sign (1 bit) and exponent (8 bits).

So let's look at what whole numbers we can represent as a real number. Well, we already know that we can represent any "small" whole number. In fact there is no difficulty whatsoever representing any whole number up to 2**24. But then something unusual happens. Take the following program:

integer :: two_24 = 2**24

do k = -2, 2
    i = two_24 + k
    type 1, i, i, float(i), float(i), float(i)
1   format(i9,1x,z9,1x,f12.1,1x,b33.32,1x,z)
    enddo

end

The program prints the whole numbers just before and after 2**24 as integers and as real numbers. The result is shown below:

Integer:   in hex:  Real number:      Real in binary: 

16777214    FFFFFE   16777214.0  01001011011111111111111111111110 
16777215    FFFFFF   16777215.0  01001011011111111111111111111111
16777216   1000000   16777216.0  01001011100000000000000000000000
16777217   1000001   16777216.0  01001011100000000000000000000000 
16777218   1000002   16777218.0  01001011100000000000000000000001 

While we had no difficulty representing the value 2**24+1 as an integer, it was quite impossible as a real number. The integer value in hex is: 1000001 -- notice that the first and last "1" bits are 25 bits apart! And this is not possible with the 24-bit fraction field of the real number! Hence 16777217 is the first whole number that we cannot represent as a real. Looked at another way, 16777215 is the last "odd" whole number that can be represented as a (single precision) real. Trivia buffs, rejoice!

From 2.**24 up to 2.**25 we can only represent every other whole number (all the even ones) -- we step by two. From 2.**25 up to 2.**26 we can represent every fourth whole number (all those evenly divisible by 4.). And so it goes. By the time we get up to 1000000013. (the number in the first example above), the two closest representable real numbers are: 1000000000. (4E6E6B28 in hex) and 1000000064. (4E6E6B29 in hex) which are 64. apart!

The thing to remember is that as the real numbers get larger, they get further and further apart! That low order bit in the fraction gets to represent larger and larger "steps" between adjacent numbers. The "step size" is directly determined by the exponent field value. You will find that real numbers are really "dense" near zero. In fact very close to 50% of the real numbers lie between -1.0 and 1.0! The same is true for double precision. With double precision instead of 23 fraction bits (and a hidden bit) we have 52 bits (and a hidden bit). This allows us to express all the whole numbers up to 2**53, but not 2**53+1 . This is why /real_size:64 causes the original example to "work" (not lose the unlucky 13)!

In fact, since double precision has 53 fraction bits, ANY 32-bit integer value can be represented EXACTLY as a double precision value. Similarly any integer(kind=2), which is a 16-bit integer, can be represented EXACTLY as a real (24 covers 16 just as 53 covers 32!).

Does this mean that real numbers are "less precise" as we get further from zero? Curiously enough, the answer is no. While the representable numbers are further apart, they still have exactly the same number of "significant bits" -- 24 or 53 for real and double precision respectively. Significant bits? What about significant dights? When we talk about "significance", we are talking about the number of leading non-zero bits (or digits) that are known to be "present" or fully representable. Remember that we were able to express 16777216 but not 16777217 as a real? Well, the 1677721 part (24 bits, 7 digits) were significant, but that last digit, alas, is imprecise and cannot be represented in the real number format. For those who love the details, since it takes log_base2(10) bits to represent any 1 digit (3.321928 bits per digit), then 24 bits gives us 7.224720 digits--or 7 significant digits. And for double precision 53 bits gives us 53.*LOG10(2.) or 15.95459 digits -- 15 significant digits (nearly 16).

So you are saying that no matter what the real number, there are always 7 significant digits? Well, yes and no (nobody ever said this was simple!). There are three major exceptions: denormalized numbers, +-Infinity, and NaN (Not a Number). All of these anomolies are recent arrivals on the hardware scene. So recent, in fact, that the Fortran Standard does NOT require them, nor pin down their behavior!

For a long time hardware designers were content with integer and then real data types and ever faster computers to manipulate them. But there were those who wanted more; those who were not content that dividing by zero caused their programs to ABEND (die for you youngsters). Those who wanted to be able to express 1.0/0.0; those who could visualize 0.0/0.0 (NOT to be confused with visionaries). Ah, what evil lurks... And so there came to be the IEEE Standard for Binary Floating-Point Arithmetic or ANSI/IEEE Std 754-1985.

In this standard you would find definitions of number formats, basic operations, conversions, exceptions, traps, rounding, etc. Most modern machines provide hardware (and software) that conform to this standard. Portability, efficiency and safety are some of the most important stated goals of this standard. However, the introduction of +-Infinity and NaN brought a whole new set of possibilities and problems.

Let's start with Infinity. In the old days there were two pretty easy ways to get a program to die--divide by zero, or overflow (multiply two very large numbers together, for example). Each of these is a limitation of the "range" of possible result values. If you cannot represent a value of "Infinity", what result value should be given to a divide by zero?! Well, there were two schools of thought. Some wanted their program to die (division by zero is ALWAYS a mistake that was not checked for in MY algorithm).

Others wanted to "keep on trucking" (you simply cannot just die after 3000 hours of running MY program!) with some artificial, but specified, value as the result. While the latter group wanted "non-stop" computing, they also wanted some indication that their final results might be tainted. They successfully lobbied for special values: Infinity, -Infinity and NaN, and a "standard" treatment of these values in subsequent arithmetic computations and comparisons. So, for example if the user:

Computes The result is
2.0 * 4.0 8.0 (usually, "quality of implementation" issue!)
10.0 / 0.0 Infinity
-5.0 / 0.0 -Infinity
0.0 / 0.0 NaN (division by zero does NOT always give Infinity!)
0.0 ==-0.0 .TRUE.
Infinity * 0.0 NaN (can you just imagine the debate over this one!)
Infinity - Infinity NaN
Infinity / Infinity NaN
1.0 / Infinity 0.0
-1.0 / Infinity -0.0
NaN * 3.0 NaN
NaN == NaN .FALSE. (optimizing compilers love this one...)
NaN /=NaN .TRUE. (... and this one, too!)

This standard also defined SQRT, but NOT any of the intrinsic functions like SIN, COS, TAN, SUM, PRODUCT, etc. The result of all of this was that many programs could just keep running, producing +-Infinity and NaN as they went, and not particularly worry about dividing by zero or the aftermath (pun intended!). And these values would tend to propagate themselves whenever they are used. You CAN "get rid of" an Infinity if all you do is to use it as a divisor (producing zero), but NaN is really hard to "get rid of". In fact, about the only way to constructively eliminate a NaN is to do something like:

IF(ISNAN(X)) THEN
! Replace X with something else
! or use better/other algorithm, etc.
ENDIF

Ah, but much was left undefined. For example, what result would you like to produce for SIN(X) where X is Infinity? As you know, SIN normally has a range between -1. and 1., so should we return Infinity? Would NaN be better? How about a more traditional "DOMAIN error" for the intrinsic function? And if intrinsic functions are not enough trouble, how about comparisons? For example while (Infinity .GT. 17.0) is .TRUE. (defined that way), it might not be so obvious that (NaN .EQ. NaN) is .FALSE. or that (Infinity .GT. NaN) is .FALSE. There is a whole new algebra, but only defined for primitive arithmetic and comparison operations (this IS a hardware standard, after all!). Don't even think about COMPLEX numbers such as: (-Infinity, NaN)...

In order to represent Infinity and NaN, the IEEE standard chose to make all reals having the largest exponent value (all 1's) "reserved". If the exponent is all 1's and the fraction is zero, we have an Infinity. The sign bit is relevant, so there is one value for +Infinity (7F800000 in hex) and one value for -Infinity (FF800000). If the exponent is all 1's and the fraction is ANY non-zero value, then this is a NaN. Notice that there are many different values for NaN. There are even two different kinds of NaN, Quiet and Signaling, but this distinction is so esoteric for Fortran that if you understand the difference and make use of it in your Fortran programs, then you can send your resume to us...

Continued in next post

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

(Continued from previous post)

Finally, a denormalized number is one where the exponent field is completely zero and the fraction is non-zero. These are the smallest of the finite numbers (both positive and negative). The very smallest positive (non-zero) number is just 00000001 (in hex). It has only one significant bit (not even one digit!) since the denormalized range does NOT use a hidden bit. Generally speaking the denormalized numbers have fewer significant digits than ANY normalized number, and the smaller the denormalized number, the fewer its significant digits. These are the ONLY real numbers with fewer than 7 significant digits. If you happen to produce and use values in this range, your results may not be as accurate as you might normally expect.

Quiz for next time (I hear the crowds cheering for MORE!). Change the last program above so that the DO loop runs from -2 to 15 (instead of from -2 to 2).

It then generates:

integer:    in hex: Real number:     Real in binary:

16777219   1000003   16777220.0  01001011100000000000000000000010
16777220   1000004   16777220.0  01001011100000000000000000000010
16777221   1000005   16777220.0  01001011100000000000000000000010
16777222   1000006   16777222.0  01001011100000000000000000000011
16777223   1000007   16777224.0  01001011100000000000000000000100 
16777224   1000008   16777224.0  01001011100000000000000000000100 
16777225   1000009   16777224.0  01001011100000000000000000000100
16777226   100000A   16777226.0  01001011100000000000000000000101 
16777227   100000B   16777228.0  01001011100000000000000000000110 
16777228   100000C   16777228.0  01001011100000000000000000000110 
16777229   100000D   16777228.0  01001011100000000000000000000110 
16777230   100000E   16777230.0  01001011100000000000000000000111
16777231   100000F   16777232.0  01001011100000000000000000001000

Glance down the Real number column. Notice that the last few digits are:

14, 15, 16, 16, 18, 20, 20, 20, 22, 24, 24, 24, 26, 28, 28, 28, 30, 32. Explain why there are THREE values of 24, then ONE 26, then THREE values of 28, then ONE 30; this pattern will continue (for a long time). Why not 14, 15, 16, 16, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22, 22, 24, 24, 26, 26, 28, 28, 30, 30 instead?! Extra credit: what "simple" change can our expert Fortran developer make to produce the latter sequence instead of the former? Hint: any of you economists out there ever heard of Banker's Rounding?!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

June 2001

Win32 Corner - CreateProcess

Steve Lionel

In our last issue, I showed how to use ShellExecute to open a document or run a program. This prompted a user to ask a question we see often - how to emulate what Developer Studio does when you run a console application by clicking on the Start Without Debugging (CTRL-F5) button. After the program exits, the console window remains and a prompt "Press any key to continue" appears. Only after the user presses a key, does the console window close. Users often ask what "switch" they can use to get this behavior.

The answer is that this feature is provided by Developer Studio itself in the way it runs the application, so there is no magic option to turn this on for your own programs. But you can add this function to your own applications using the Win32 API routine CreateProcess and a bit of extra code.

CreateProcess is the fundamental routine for starting a program in a new process. It has many options for how that program is started, including making the console window hidden - see the documentation for details.

Example anykey.f90 (attached) works by calling its function press_anykey at the beginning of execution. The function does the following:

• Determines if this the "parent" or the "child". In this example, the determination is made by a simple test of the number of command line arguments, but you'd probably want a more sophisticated test in a real application. If a child, the function returns .FALSE. and the caller continues execution, doing the real work of whatever it is supposed to do.
  • If the parent, it gets the full path for the current executable. GetModuleFileName is itself an interesting and useful routine.
  • CreateProcess is called to run the same program in a new process, but a -child switch is added to the command line. Note that the ApplicationName argument is specified as NULL - if so, the location is taken from the first command line token. The Boolean value InheritHandles is set to TRUE (note - not .TRUE. which is a different value!) so that the child process uses the same console window as the parent. If we had wanted to specify things such as a window position, or a hidden window, we would have done so in StartupInfo. ProcessInfo returns information about the created process and thread.
  • If the CreateProcess succeeds, we wait for the process to complete by using WaitForSingleObject. You can specify a timeout value here if you like.
  • After the created process is done with its work, the handles to the thread and process are closed. This is an important step; if omitted, resources will be left dangling.
  • A message is displayed and we wait for the user to press a key.
  • Last, the function returns .TRUE., which tells the caller to just exit.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

June 2001

Doctor Fortran - Something Old, Something New: Taking a new look at FORMAT

Steve Lionel

Most Fortran programmers of a "certain age" don't give a lot of thought to the FORMAT statement - it's been in the language "forever", and many of us use the capabilities that were provided by FORTRAN 77, or perhaps even FORTRAN IV. But as the Fortran standard has evolved, formats have too, and the Good Doctor decided it's time to review what's new in FORMAT since FORTRAN 77.

Zero width for integer and real editing - F95 added a nifty new feature, the ability to specify a field width of zero for integer output editing (I, B, O, Z descriptors) and real output editing (F descriptor.) If zero is specified, "the processor selects the field width", which typically means that the width is just enough to display the actual significant digits. So, for example:

WRITE (*,"(A,I0,A)") "ABC",123,"DEF"

would write "ABC123DEF". Note that the standard doesn't exactly say this is what should happen, a processor (compiler) might "select" one of several preset widths, but minimal width is the intent of this feature and should be the widely implemented interpretation. Note that a zero width is not allowed on input.

G format for any datatype - In Fortran 77, the G edit descriptor was usable only with REAL, DOUBLE PRECISION and COMPLEX values, but F90 extended G to INTEGER, LOGICAL and CHARACTER types as well. For these other types, G operates a lot like list-directed formatting, in that the corresponding specific edit descriptor (I, L, A) is used with the width specified (except that for INTEGER data, the width may not be specified as zero.)

EN and ES - Perhaps of more limited interest than the above additions, F90 added EN for "engineering notation" and ES for "scientific notation". These variants of the E format modify how the fraction and exponent are formatted. With EN, the significand is always greater than or equal to 1 and less than 1000 (except if zero), and the exponent is always a multiple of 3, for example, 12345.0 in EN10.3 format would be "12.345E+03". With ES, the significand is greater than or equal to 1 and less then 10, and there is no restriction on the exponent. Our value 12345.0 in ES10.4 format would be "1.2345E+04". For comparison, the more familiar E11.5 format would display "0.12345E+05". (Note that the standard would also allow ".12345E+05" here, but including the leading ze ro is the most common practice.)

Fortran 90 also added the widely implemented B, O and Z edit descriptors. You old-timers out there may not be familiar with some F77 additions, such as TL and TR. All of these are described in the Intel Fortran Language Reference manual. Happy formatting!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

September 2001

The Perils of Real Numbers (Part 3)

Dave Eklund
Visual Fortran Engineer

In part 2 we offered the following program:

do k = -2, 15
        i = two_24 + k
        print 1, k, i, i, float(i), float(i)
1       format(i2,1x,i9,1x,z9,1x,f12.1,1x,b33.32)
        enddo
        end

with output:

integer:    in hex: Real number:     Real in binary:

16777219   1000003   16777220.0  01001011100000000000000000000010
16777220   1000004   16777220.0  01001011100000000000000000000010
16777221   1000005   16777220.0  01001011100000000000000000000010
16777222   1000006   16777222.0  01001011100000000000000000000011
16777223   1000007   16777224.0  01001011100000000000000000000100 
16777224   1000008   16777224.0  01001011100000000000000000000100 
16777225   1000009   16777224.0  01001011100000000000000000000100
16777226   100000A   16777226.0  01001011100000000000000000000101 
16777227   100000B   16777228.0  01001011100000000000000000000110 
16777228   100000C   16777228.0  01001011100000000000000000000110 
16777229   100000D   16777228.0  01001011100000000000000000000110 
16777230   100000E   16777230.0  01001011100000000000000000000111
16777231   100000F   16777232.0  01001011100000000000000000001000

Glance down the Real number column. Notice that the last few digits are:

14, 15, 16, 16, 18, 20, 20, 20, 22, 24, 24, 24, 26, 28, 28, 28, 30, 32. Explain why there are THREE values of 24, then ONE 26, then THREE values of 28, then ONE 30; this pattern will continue (for a long time). Why not 14, 15, 16, 16, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22, 22, 24, 24, 26, 26, 28, 28, 30, 30 instead?! Extra credit: what "simple" change can our expert Fortran developer make to produce the latter sequence instead of the former? Hint: any of you economists out there ever heard of Banker's rounding?!

The short answer is that most modern systems default their "rounding mode" to be "round to even", otherwise known as Banker's rounding. This rounding may occur when an operation (like add, divide, etc.) is performed, or it may occur when the user attempts to display a floating point value using a particular format, or it may occur when a text string is converted to an internal floating point number. In the example given above, certain exact integer values, like 1677727, are converted to floating point values. Now 1677727 cannot be exactly represented as a real number. The two closest flo ating point values are 1677726. and 1677728. Since 1677727 is EXACTLY half way between these values, we need to "round to even" (if not half way, the closer value should be selected). But hey, you say, both 1677726. and 1677728. are "even"!

Well, no, that's not what is meant by "even". If we look at the bit patterns for those two floating point values, we see 01001011100000000000000000000101 and 01001011100000000000000000000110. The one whose last bit is "1" is odd, and the one whose last bit is "0" is even! So 1677726. is an "odd" value and 1677728. is an "even" value! Exactly the same thing happens when converting 1677729 to real, and it also becomes 1677728., since 1677730. is another "odd" number.

This is why the pattern of results has xxx20. three times (it's an even number), then xxx22. once (it's an odd number), then xxx24. three times (it's even), etc. All of the "even" numbers are preferred by the "round to even" rule. Now this is merely the default rounding mode. This mode has the desirable property that for a randomly selected group of numbers, half of them should round up and half should round down.

Again, many modern machines have alternatives, like "chopped", or "round to plus infinity", "round to minus infinity", etc. Depending upon the hardware and software combination, there are different ways to select a non-default rounding mode. Using the above example program, we can modify it to be:

use dflib
        integer(2) control,clearcontrol,newcontrol

call getcontrolfpqq(control)
        clearcontrol=(control .and. (.not. fpcw$mcw_rc))
        newcontrol=clearcontrol .or. fpcw$chop  ! select chopped 
                                                ! rounding mode
        call setcontrolfpqq(newcontrol)

do k = -2, 15
        i = two_24 + k
        print 1, k, i, i, float(i), float(i), float(i)
1       format(' 2**24 + ',i2,1x,i9,1x,z9,1x,f12.1,1x,b33.32,1x,z)
        enddo
        end

This latter program will achieve the goal of producing pairs of values instead of the 3,1,3,1 pattern given by default. The modification above causes the rounding mode to be "chopped". Other systems, like Tru64 UNIX, might achieve the same thing by compiling the original program with the switch -fprm chopped, with similar result. The point of the example is to show that the user DOES have control of certain fairly subtle computations and conversions. Yes, it IS rare that one might need this. It is important to know that the capability is there; it helps to understand (and change) "unexpected" re sults!

Many of you have undoubtedly heard that one should never compare two real numbers as being exactly equal. This old admonition gets thrown around in various flavors, but the fear is that somehow there is going to be some of that roundoff "stuff" that causes answers to be slightly different than what one might expect, so comparisons should always involve some kind of fudge factor. In languages such as APL, a "comparison tolerance" was provided to "help out"! Not very enlightened reasoning, but there is actually some underlying truth here. To explore this, let's consider the following "simple" program:

N=5
        do i=-N,N
        x=float(i)/N
        print *,'x=',x

! How is the following false!?
        if(sin(x) .eq. sin(x)) print *,' Equal for x=',x

enddo
        end

The program computes sin(x) for various values of x, compares the result to sin(x), and if the two values are equal, prints that they are equal. If you compile this using /opt:4 (the default), all the values will get reported as Equal; but at /opt:0, the ONLY value that reports as Equal is where x is zero!

It turns out that sin(x) is computed via a call to a routine (__FIsin) for either optimization level. And the same 80 bit result is returned. There is no other "computation" going on. So how, you might ask, are these two values comparing as "not equal"? And why the difference for the two optimization levels?

Well, the answer is that in one case __FIsin is called twice, and the two values are compared. The first value needs to be moved out of the function return register to make room for the second call. The store to memory rounds the 80 bit value to a 32 bit value. The comparison compares the evicted 32 bit value (zero extended) to the new 80 bit value, and only when the two values are exactly the same (zero) do they compare as equal. In order for two such values to compare equal, nearly 50 low order bits must be zero! Is there a (large) value of N that produces a non-zero value for x where this happens? [Clearly an extra credit question!]

In the optimized case, only one call is made to __FIsin. The value happens to be moved out to the floating point stack instead (a full 80 bit copy), and the comparison is between two full 80 bit values, which are identical!

I can hear some of you saying that you would use the compiler switch /fltconsistency (or /Op) to "cure" this problem. Yes, this happens to cause the code to store both intermediate results (the value of sin(x)) to memory, so that now the comparison is actually a 32 bit comparison. While this is effective for this case, the switch can cause many unnecessary stores to memory for no great reward, and it does NOT guarantee that all intermediate results are stored WITHIN a statement. For example, if you have a=b*c/d, a store will NOT happen after the multiply of b*c (the code is fld; fmul; fdiv). It is a very useful switch which may help in many cases, but has a fairly high cost, and is NOT going to cover up for all of our sloppy coding!

WHENEVER the compiler generates code to store a floating point value to memory (the above was a very simple case!), rounding to the appropriate size will occur. This WILL be different between different compilers, different versions of the same compiler, and at different optimization levels. So, please do not check for equality of floating point numbers. What works today (by accident, as above) may cease to "work" for the most flimsy of excuses! Even when we are not evaluating an expression, just moving the value around can cause the value to change!

The following program is one of my favorite examples of how an optimizing compiler, in cahoots with a machine with a wide floating point register, can be just "too darn clever". It is an example of the kind of problem one can have when a floating result is NOT stored to memory between computations.

x=1.0

do i=1,20000
        x=x*.5
        if(x.eq.0)goto 10  ! When X is zero, we are done
d       print *,x
        enddo

10      type *,' Iterated ',i,' times'
        end

Notice that this is a test.f (NOT test.f90) source, so that we can use the switch /d_lines to include the "print *,x" line (or exclude it). I would invite you to compile and execute the program using all combinations of:

/opt:0 or /opt:2
        /d_lines (or no switch)
        /real_size:32 or /real_size:64
        /fpe:0 or /fpe:3

First, let me say that this is the kind of loop that one might execute in order to decide how small a real number can get without becoming zero. As long as the iteration continues, X is known to be non-zero. This is one of the ways to help compute how big the exponent field is for a "new" machine. This also assumes that sooner or later cutting a real number in half will make the number become zero! Notice that each value of X is a power of 2., so there are no rounding problems.

What is interesting is that at higher optimization leve ls (and when NOT printing the value of X), the compiler is delighted to just leave X in a floating point register, and test for zero there. Unfortunately, the floating point register is not the same size as a real (or double precision), so one can get the very misleading result of 16435 iterations! If we use /opt:0 (or /d_lines), the compiler is more inclined to move the result back to memory, giving 150 (or 127 with /fpe:0). Notice that /fpe:0 causes the first computed denormalized number to be set to zero, hence giving 23 fewer iterations for real, and 52 fewer iterations with /real_size:64.

This is why certain numerical packages go to GREAT lengths when they try to figure out the properties of real numbers in such a mechanical way! It may be crucial to turn off all optimizations and still worry about the default settings of any "peculiar" switches like /fpe: and /real_size:. Here is another example of when testing for equality may not do what one might expect!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

September 2001

Calling Visual Fortran from Java JNI

Lorri Menard
Visual Fortran Engineer

Recently a customer contacted us because he was having problems trying to hook a Java JDK GUI to a Fortran DLL.

His starting point was the article "Putting a Java Interface on your C,C++ or Fortran Code" by C. Anderson. While this article does a good job of describing the perils of mixed-language processing and describing how to call C/C++ from Java, its description of calling Fortran is specific to the UNIX operating system, and the information is not correct for users of Visual Fortran.

The purpose of this article is to explain how to call a routine written using Visual Fortran from a Java application. In this case, I'm using JDK and its verbs. If you are using a different Java, you will have to use the analogous verbs and implementation-specific .h files.

The easiest and most maintainable mechanism to call Visual Fortran from Java is to use C++ wrappers to do the actual interface with Java, and then call Fortran from C++. Your DLL can contain both C++ and Fortran code, therefore you won't have the complexity of multiple DLLs. There are differences in the calling standards between Fortran and C++; I'll point them out in the example programs below.

The Java Native Interface was designed with C++ in mind. It's supported as .h files, not as Fortran files. Some of the most important .h files are the jni.h and jni_md.h files provided by Java. Also important is the program-specific .h file created by running javah over your Java program.

The C++ wrapper needs to include jni.h and the program-specific .h file. The file jni.h describes Java structures, and the program-specific .h file contains prototypes for the external routines. It is in this file that you can find the name and signature that Java is expecting for the external routines.

Let me put a bit of an example here. This is much simplified from Dr. Anderson's article because this one doesn't actually do anything. There is a Java class that calls a routine called "initializeTemperature". Ultimately this will be implemented in Fortran, however there will be a C++ wrapper in between Java and Fortran. In the next few pages you will see an example of the Java code, the generated program-specific .h file, the C++ wrapper code, and the skeleton of the Fortran code.

Java code:

//
// native method declarations
//

public native void initializeTemperature(double[] Tarray, int 
    m, double d); 

Program-specific .h file generated by javah:

/* DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - it is machine generated */
#include 
/* Header for class TempCalcJava */
#ifndef _Included_TempCalcJava
#define _Included_TempCalcJava
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif
/*
 * Class: TempCalcJava
 * Method: initializeTemperature
 * Signature: ([DIIDDDD)V
 */
JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_TempCalcJava_initializeTemperature
(JNIEnv *, jobject, jdoubleArray, jint, jdouble);
#ifdef __cplusplus
}
#endif
#endif

In this example, the original name in Java is prepended with the string "Java_" and the name of the class. There are also two arguments prepended to the argument list. These are a "JNI Environment pointer", and a copy of the Java object being acted upon. You will need to write your C++ wrapper to export this same name, and to expect these two added arguments.

Please note that in this example an array is being passed out of Java. In Java, arrays are stored much differently than they are in Fortran; there is a sort of "meta" structure around them. However, there are Java native callback routines available to the external routines to get to the actual data. These are available as methods using the "JNI Environment pointer" passed in as the first "hidden" argument. These methods are declared in the jni.h header file. Again, easily accessible through C++, not easily accessible through Fortran.

The C++ routine Java_TempCalcJava_initializeTemperature contains the following code:

extern "C" void initializeTemperature(
    double* Tarray, long m, double d);

JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_TempCalcJava_initializeTemperature
(JNIEnv *env, jobject, jdoubleArray Tarray, jint m, jdouble d)
{
     jdouble* tPtr   = env->GetDoubleArrayElements(Tarray,0);
     initializeTemperature(tPtr, m, d);
     env->ReleaseDoubleArrayElements(Tarray, tPtr,0);
}

In this code snippet, the GetDoubleArrayElements method returns a pointer to the first element in an array of doubles. This can be passed straight through to the Fortran routine initializeTemperature because that is how Fortran is expecting an array to be passed. Note that the Fortran routine is declared to be extern "C" to avoid C++ name mangling.

Finally, the Fortran code. Fortran and C++ use different default calling standards in argument passing and stack clean up. In this example I chose to put the "smarts" about overriding the defaults in the Fortran code. It certainly could also be done in the C++ code; your choice. There is a comprehen sive chapter on Programming with Mixed Languages in the online Programmer's Guide if you want more information on what these differences are, and when you need to worry about them. Bottom line, here I've told Fortran to use the C calling standard defaults for the routine initializeTemperature, and to export the external name "_initializeTemperature", since the C++ code used this mixed-case name.

subroutine initializeTemperature(T, m, d)

!dec$ attributes c :: initializeTemperature
!DEC$ attributes alias:"_initializeTemperature"::initializeTemperature
       integer m
       real*8 t(m)
       real*8 d

return
       end

Finally, I know many of you are thinking "Why do I have to have C++ in the middle?" And the answer is that you don't HAVE to, it's just much simpler. If you wanted to do this in strict Fortran you would have to manually translate jni.h to Fortran, and it if changed (such as with a newer version of Java) you'd have to do the translation again.

If you are not ever going to be passing arrays, well, maybe you can get away without a modified jni.h, and without having C++ in the middle. (If you remember, we used C++ to access the native Java routines to get at fields in the array structure.) You can easily write a Fortran program with a long and ugly name, and declare two extra, ignored arguments. However, will it be useful to have a routine that only accepts scalars? You will have to determine that by your application. I think that most applications pass around LOTS of data, not a few discrete numbers.

I still stick by my contention at the beginning of this article that it is easier and more maintainable to keep the C++ wrapper and call Fortran from that routine. If Java changes, it provides a new jni.h and a simple rebuild of your project incorporates any changes.

Of course, if Java provided a Fortran header file, or maybe a MODULE file, this whole process would be much easier.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

September 2001

Doctor Fortran - Don't Blow Your Stack!

Steve Lionel

"Doctor, my stack is overflowing! What does it mean?! Is there a cure?!" The Doctor frequently sees questions like these, and he realizes it's time for a general article on the subject of stack allocation, as well as the other memory allocation types, static and dynamic.

Static allocation

"Everybody's got to be somewhere," the saying goes. And so it is with your program's data - it has to live somewhere in memory while it is being referenced (registers are a special kind of memory we won't get into here.) The compiler, linker and operating system work together to determine exactly where in memory a piece of data is to reside. The simplest method of assigning locations is "static allocation", where the data is assigned a fixed (static) address by the compiler and linker in the executable image (EXE). For example, if variable X is statically allocated at address 4000, it is always at address 4000 when that EXE is run, no matter what else is going on in the system. (DLLs can also have static data - it is allocated at a fixed offset from the base address where the DLL gets loaded.)

Static allocation is simple from the compiler's perspective because all that is needed is to create a list of variables that need allocation, and lay them down in memory one after the other. A run-time advantage of static allocation is that it is usually easy and fast to access a fixed address and statically allocated data can be used from anywhere in the program. But static allocation has disadvantages too. First, if you have any reentrant or parallel code, the multiple codestreams are both trying to use the same data, which may not be wanted. Second, if you have many routines which need a lot of memory just while they're executing, the available address space can fill up quickly (for example, ten routines each of which declares a 1000x1000 REAL(8) array need a total of 80,000,000 bytes just for those arrays.) And perhaps most important, with static allocation you must know at compile-time how much memory you will want.

Up through Fortran 77, the Fortran standard was carefully written in a way so that static allocation was the only method needed. Even today, static allocation is the most widely used method - in Visual Fortran, COMMON blocks and most variables with the SAVE attribute are allocated statically. (Note that Compaq Visual Fortran, by default, implies SAVE for local routine variables unless it can see that the variable is always written before it is read.) [Intel Visual Fortran does not imply SAVE for local variables - you must specify that with a SAVE statememt or use the /Qsave option if you want that.]

Dynamic allocation

Dynamic allocation is the complete opposite of static allocation. With dynamic allocation, the running application must call a system routine to request a particular amount of memory (for example, 1000 bytes). The system routine looks to see if that request size is available in the collection ("heap") of memory segments it has available. If the request can be satisfied, a range of memory addresses is marked as used and the starting address is returned to the program. If the heap is empty, the operating system expands the virtual address space of the process to replenish the heap, stopping only if there is no more virtual memory available. The program stores the base address in a pointer variable and then can access the memory. When the program no longer needs the memory, another system routine is called to "free" it - return it to the heap so that it can be used again by a future allocate call. You can think of this as similar to borrowing money from a bank, and then later paying it back (except that there's no interest!)

The big advantage of dynamic allocation is that the program can decide at run-time how much memory to get, making it possible to create programs that can accommodate problems of any size. You are limited only by the total amount of virtual memory available to your process (a little less than 2GB in 32-bit Windows) and, as long as you keep your pointers separate, your allocation is separate from others in the application. However, if your program "forgets" to free the allocated memory, and no longer has the pointer through which it is referenced, the allocated memory becomes unusable until the program exits - a "memory leak". Also, the allocate/free process can be slow, and accessing data through pointers can itself reduce run-time performance somewhat.

In Fortran, the ALLOCATE statement performs dynamic allocation, with DEALLOCATE being the "free" operation. In Visual Fortran, one can use dynamic allocation in other ways, such as the C-style malloc/free routines, or by calling Win32 API routines to allocate memory.

Stack Allocation

Stack allocation appears to be the least understood of the three models. The "stack" is a contiguous section of memory assigned by the linker. The "stack pointer" is a register (ESP in the X86 architecture) which holds the current position in the stack. When a program starts executing, the stack pointer points to the top of the stack (just above the highest-addressed location in the stack. As routines are called, the stack pointer is decremented (subtracted from) to point to a section of the stack that the routine can use for temporary storage. (The previous value of the stack pointer is saved.) The routine can call other routines, which in turn create stack space for themselves by decrementing the stack pointer. When a routine returns to its caller, it cleans up by simply restoring the saved stack pointer value.

The stack is an extremely efficient way of creating "scratch space" for a routine, and the stack plays a prominent role in the mechanism of calling and passing arguments to routines. Visual Fortran uses the stack to create space for automatic arrays (local arrays whose size is based on a routine argument) and for temporary copies of arrays used in array expressions or when a contiguous copy of an array section must be passed to another routine. The problem is, however, that the total amount of stack space is fixed by the linker, and if a routine tries to allocate more space than the stack can hold, the dreaded "stack overflow" error occurs.

On some other operating systems, OpenVMS for example, the OS can extend the stack as needed, limited only by the total amount of virtual address space available. On Windows, however, the stack allocation is determined by the linker and defaults to a paltry 1MB in the Microsoft linker. You can change the allocation - for details, see the on-disk documentation topic "Stack, linker option setting size of" - but this works only for executable images (EXEs.) If you are building a DLL, it doesn't matter what you set the stack size to - it is the size specified by the EXE that calls your DLL, (for example, VB.EXE), which is used.

So, what can you do if changing the stack size is not an option? Reduce your code's use of the stack. Replace automatic arrays with allocatable arrays and ALLOCATE them to the desired size at the start of the routine (they will be automatically deallocated on routine exit unless marked SAVE.) If passing a noncontiguous array section to another routine, have the called routine accept it as a deferred-shape array (an explicit interface is required). Future versions of Visual Fortran may allocate large temporary values dynamically rather than using the stack, but for now, being aware of the limits of stack allocation is important.

[Edit January 11, 2008] An update to Intel Visual Fortran 9.1 added the /heap-arrays option which tells the compiler to use the heap (dynamic allocation) for arrays that it would otherwise put on the stack. This can be handy if you can't avoid the stack arrays otherwise. It does add a slight performance penalty for the allocate and deallocate, but applications processing large arrays probably would not notice. See the documentation for more details.]

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Doctor Fortran's shingle is out again - see the new Doctor Fortran blog.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

PASSING ARRAYS IN FORTRAN 90

Chris Bord, February 1998

Passing arrays in Fortran 90 can sometimes be confusing thanks to the plethora of array types, the ability to use implicit or explicit interfaces, and other issues. Sometimes this confusion manifests itself in code that isn't passing what was expected and other times the code executes correctly, but more slowly and takes up more memory than expected. Understanding how the different types of arrays are implemented and how array passing is accomplished can help to dispel this confusion.

There are two main classes of arrays in Fortran 90: explicit shape arrays and deferred shape arrays. Explicit shape arrays were the only type available in Fortran 77 and have all bounds information specified at compile time, e.g.,

integer a (10,10)
   real, dimension(5,10) :: b

Deferred shape arrays include F90 array pointers, allocatable arrays, and assumed shape arrays, and have only type and rank information provided at compile time, with bounds information provided via pointer assignment, ALLOCATE statement, etc. at run time, e.g.

integer, allocatable :: a(:,:
 )real, pointer :: b(:)
 logical c(:,:,:)! must be dummy argument in a! subroutine or function

Deferred shape arrays are represented internally by the compiler as a descriptor that contains type, allocation status, base address and bounds information. Allocatable arrays must be contiguous, but other types of deferred arrays need not be.

Arrays are passed by one of two mechanisms: address of the first element of the array, or descriptor. With the former, the address of the first element of a contiguous array is passed, while in the later, the address of a descriptor is passed.

There are four valid cases when passing arrays:

1. an explicit array may be passed to a routine expecting an explicit array
  2. a deferred shape array may be passed to a routine expecting a deferred shape array (non-pointer may not be passed to pointers)
  3. an explicit array may be passed to a routine expecting a deferred shape array (only if deferred shape array is an assumed shape array), and
  4. a deferred shape array may be passed to a routine expecting an explicit array.

Case one is the standard F77 case and is very efficient in both time and memory. The address of the first element of the array is passed, and no temporary arrays are needed, ever.

Case two occurs when an array pointer is passed to an array pointer, or when an allocatable or assumed shape array is passed to an assumed shape array. It *requires* an explicit interface (i.e. an interface block). This case is also efficient - the compiler simply passes the address of the already-existing array descriptor to the called routine.

Case three occurs when an explicit array is passed to a routine that has been declared (via an interface block) to accept an assumed shape array. In this case, the compiler builds a descriptor for the explicit array and passes the address of this descriptor. This case requires no temporary arrays. Although there is the additional overhead of building the descriptor, this overhead is quite small.

Case four occurs when an allocatable array, pointer, or assumed shape array is passed to a routine that expects an explicit shape array. Because an allocatable array is always contig uous in memory, passing such an array requires no overhead in this case - the starting address of the array is taken directly from the descriptor and passed to the called routine. However, since pointers and assumed shape arrays need *not* be contiguous, passing these to an explicit shape array may be *very* costly - especially for large arrays. In this case, a temporary array of appropriate size is allocated, the entire array is copied from the possibly-non-contiguous deferred shape array to the temporary array, and then the address of the beginning of the temporary array is passed. On subroutine or function return,the contents of the temporary array are copied *back* to the deferred-shape array, and execution continues. Costs here included additional memory for the temporary array, and the time it takes to copy the contents of the array *twice*. Programs that try to pass large arrays like this can use much or even all available virtual memory and are ground to a screeching halt thanks to the time it takes copying the array.Needless to say, this case should be avoided!

[Note - Nowadays, the compiler does a run-time test of pointers if it can't prove that the storage is contiguous at compile-time. If the run-time check shows that the storage is contiguous, no copy is passed.]

With these facts in mind, the following tips can help avoid problems when passing arrays:

1. Using interface blocks can be very helpful in catching type mismatch problems and should be used, if possible.
  2. If a called routine expects a deferred shape array as an argument, then the caller *must* use an interface block. Failure to do so will result in the array being passed by address of the first element of the array, leading to incorrect run time behavior and worse.
  3. Generally avoid passing deferred shape arrays to explicit shape arrays. This happens when a pointer or other deferred shape array is passed without an explicit interface (i.e. an interface block).
  4. If you must pass a deferred shape array to an explicit shape array, make sure you are passing an ALLOCATABLE array - the compiler will recognize that it is contiguous and will not resort to using a temporary array.

For more information, check out the sections describing the various types of arrays and argument passing in the Language Reference Manual.

0 Kudos