Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28448 Discussions

Visual Studio 2010 "Error: The operation could not be completed" message

dannycat
New Contributor I
For a while now I get the message "Error: The operation could not be completed" when my project is performing a build process. The compilation carries on to completion including the link stage. What seems to be happening is that certain files within the project can't be compiled(or VS2010 says that they can't see the file). If after this message has been displayedand you try to explicity compile a file that previously been missed,using Ctrl+F7, a message box appears saying that file cannot be compiled. The only way to cure it is to close down VS2010 and reload. Builds will work fine for a couple of times and then the same thing starts to happen again and it's getting very annoying. What makes matters worse is that at the end all seems well and there is no record of any problem in the build log file either but there is a chance that the program has misaligned memory because not all module dependencies have been rebuilt properly. (A full rebuild takes about 1 hour so I don't want to do this too often).

Can anyone tell me what is causing this or better still how to stop it happening?

These symptoms are worse when I'm using a 64-bit XP operating system.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Please attach the buildlog.htm for a session after this error occurs. It may give me a clue.
0 Kudos
dannycat
New Contributor I
Hi Steve,

The buildlog.htm file (attached) does not indicate that there has been any problems during the build process.
Below is echo of output window.

1>------ Build started: Project: Loading, Configuration: Release Win32 ------

1>Compiling with Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.1.3.300 [IA-32]...

2>Error: The operation could not be completed

1>ldgp.f90

1>Creating library...

3>Error: The operation could not be completed

1>

1>Build log written to "file://C:\Win\FEM2000-XE\Loading\Release\BuildLog.htm"

1>Loading - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

4>------ Build started: Project: FEM2000, Configuration: Release Win32 ------

4>Linking...

4> Creating library Release/FEM2000_v25.lib and object Release/FEM2000_v25.exp

4>

4>Build log written to "file://C:\Win\FEM2000-XE\Release\BuildLog.htm"

4>FEM2000 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Build: 2 succeeded, 2 failed, 28 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

The above shows a typical example.

Steve

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You are building four projects in parallel. The build log you sent me was for the one that does the link, thread 4, but the error is in thread 3. Which project was that and what does its build log look like? What happens if you set Visual Studio to build only one project at a time?
0 Kudos
dannycat
New Contributor I

I was not aware I was building 4 projects in parallel. I thought the the /MP command set this but I don't have it set in my solution (which contains 31 projects). Where else is this set?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
/MP is for compiling multiple source files in one compiler invocation. Look at Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions > Build and Run. The setting for "maximum number of parallel project builds" defaults to the number of "processors" Windows sees (sockets * cores * threads). Try setting this to 1 and doing a build.

But it would be more interesting to see the build log of the project that got the "could not be completed" error.
0 Kudos
dannycat
New Contributor I

I've tried changing the number of processors to 1 but the problem still occurs:

Error: The operation could not be completed

------ Build started: Project: Loading, Configuration: Release Win32 ------

Compiling with Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.1.3.300 [IA-32]...

np_loadact.f90

Creating library...

Build log written to "file://C:\Win\FEM2000-XE\Loading\Release\BuildLog.htm"

Loading - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

------ Build started: Project: FEM2000, Configuration: Release Win32 ------

Compiling resources...

FemWin.rc

Microsoft Windows Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Linking...

Creating library Release/FEM2000_v25.lib and object Release/FEM2000_v25.exp

Build log written to "file://C:\Win\FEM2000-XE\Release\BuildLog.htm"

FEM2000 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Build: 2 succeeded, 4 failed, 26 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I've attached the Buildlog.htm (for Project Loading)but there seems to be no reference tothe errorswithin, suggesting to me that the message is generated by the dependecy checkerbefore the compiler is activated.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Some of the projects evidently failed to build. Please attach the build log from one of them.
0 Kudos
dannycat
New Contributor I
Steve, the problem is you don't get a Buildlog.htm when the projects fail to build, so you don't know which projects fail.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Is this an application you can ZIP up (after doing a Build > Clean) and attach here, or provide it through Intel Premier Support? You may want to try this:

1. Uninstall Intel Visual Fortran.
2. Delete the "Intel Fortran" subfolder of your Visual Studio install folder
3. Do a "Repair" on Visual Studio
4. Reinstall Intel Fortran
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Trying to solve the same problem on my machine.

Eventual solution for me was to Rebuild each project within the solution one by one until I found the one that failed. Then removed from solution (as per previous poster), and readded the project to the solution.

Building the solution then worked.

The confusing thing is that the error appears before the "Build started" message in the log, so it appears that theerror is in a Prebuild step, rather than the subsequent build of a project.

David
0 Kudos