Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Visual Studio Community 2017

sanjayg0
Novice

I just purchased Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 1 Composer Fortran for Windows but can not get it to install.  I am trying to install on a brand new computer running Window 10 Professional.  The instructions for the install all refer to versions of Visual Studio that are no longer downloadable/purchasable as far as I can tell.

I have downloaded Visual Studio Community 2017 (chose Universal Windows Platform development when installing, among several installation attempts)  but the the compiler installer never recognizes my Visual Studio installation.  It points me to release notes which refer back to outdated versions of Visual Studio.  So I appear to be stuck in a frustrating infinite loop.  I wish the installation instructions were a bit more clear/up-to-date with the options that the Visual Studio web site offers up.

Is there a way to get the setup to work with Visual Studio Community 2017?  If not, what version(s) can I get that will work? and if they are not part of the 2017 Visual Studio variety, a link to where one can get them would be helpful.

-sanjay

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

quoting from the compiler docs

On Microsoft Windows* OS, the Intel® C/C++ Compiler and Intel® Visual Fortran Compiler require a version of Microsoft Visual Studio* to be installed. The following versions are currently supported:
 Microsoft Visual Studio* 2015, 2013, 2012
 Microsoft Visual Studio Express* (only for command line compilation)

not stated in the same place, if you aren't installing Intel C++ and don't supply one of the above, Intel Fortran (full paid versions such as yours) will install VS Shell to take care of this requirement.  VS2015 and 2013 "Community" are freely downloadable https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/ and usable if you don't exceed the license restrictions.  It does seem that Microsoft is making it more difficult to find the past version downloads (particularly when using non-Microsoft browsers), but not to the point of justifying your rant.

Also stated elsewhere, if you install VS2015, you need the optional C++ support components.

0 Kudos
sanjayg0
Novice

Tim,

Thanks.  I guess I was expecting the installation instructions/release notes to be up to date with the current Visual Studio releases.  Notwithstanding, I finally managed to locate Visual Studio Communinity 2015 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48146 .  I have uninstalled VS Community 2017 and installed VS Community 2015 (selecting the C++ options as Intel indicates) and the install is proceeding as 'expected'. [For others: note that the VS Community 2017 uninstaller does not remove all the files, in particular it does not properly remove Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 RC Redistributable..., so one has to deal with that manually to get a clean install].

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties but am glad to read you were able to successfully install.

Our Release Notes are current. When Google-ing Visual Studio Community the top link is, https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/. When I visit this is indicates the version as “Download Community 2015”. Admittedly I did not click to go further but I would not anticipate it leading to Visual Studio 2017. When specifically Google-ing for version Visual Studio 2017, the results refer to an “RC” release which is not the official release and is consistent with our information that the final gold version has not yet been officially released.  Visual Studio 2017 is not listed in our RNs because we do not currently officially support that version either. We will announce support of this in a future release as close to the official Microsoft release as feasible. There is always the potential for lag in support of newer versions of third-party software given release schedules between products are not fully synchronized.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

VS2017 is not yet released, and even when it is, it will be a while before the Intel compilers support it. (A while sometimes being a few months.) It is like this for every VS release - even though I am sure Intel developers have been working with betas of the new VS, Microsoft has in the past made breaking changes between the last release candidate and the public launch, so it would be inappropriate to try to provide support on launch day.

Note that your purchase includes a complete Fortran build environment based on VS2013. As others have said, VS2015 Community is freely available and supported.

0 Kudos
sanjayg0
Novice

Kevin and Steve,

Thanks for the comments.  I completely agree that it is unreasonable to expect support for a beta version.  The trap I fell into (and I think others will too) is that when you google "Visual Studio" you will probably get https://www.visualstudio.com/ as the top hit.  From that page, you are basically sent off to VS 2017 pages, if you can even figure out what to click.  Given that the top level visual studio page is now promoting VS 2017, it could be useful to have an updated comment in the release notes. 

Regarding the VS2013 built in environment, I thought about going that route but it was not clear where to go to get the listed packages needed to make that work.  Note the installation message gives a warning that if you proceed you will get an installation that will not work, so I assumed that the installer would not do that for me as part of the install, rather I needed to go it myself first, and then return to the Intel installer.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The install message has a link to detailed instructions - the ink is https://software.intel.com/en-us/vs2013shell-windowssdk

0 Kudos
roger567
New Contributor I

What is the best way to find out promptly and reliably when the Intel compilers support VS2017?
I often find I am looking at out-dated information on the Intel and Microsoft web sites and don't know for months that the situation has changed.

Is there a page that is bound to be updated?

0 Kudos
Christopher_T_1
Beginner

Intel® Parallel Studio EX 2017 Update 4 still does not integrate with Visual Studio 2017.  When I installed it only mention Visual Studio 2015, so when it Visual Studio 2017 integration due to be added?

We have a project using Visual Studio 2013 (v120 toolset) and would like to upgrade it to Visual Studio 2017 (v141), but noticed there wasn't any integration in the Intel® Integration Performance Primitives 8.1 we currently used.

We would like to upgrade for this support, but I was disappointed to see it is still not there.

Am I able to use the Intel® Integration Performance Primitives 8.1 with Visual Studio 2017 (v141) if I configure all the include, library and executable paths appropriately, or do I need new builds of the libraries?

0 Kudos