Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28630 Discussions

Visual Studio Settings - can they be saved

DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
I just upgraded to Release 4 today - and once again had to reset the Includes and Libraries settings in Visual Studio.

Is there a simple way to save these, so that they can be restored after upgrading? it is frustrating that the VS integration removes them.

Thanks,

David
0 Kudos
11 Replies
onkelhotte
New Contributor II
In VS2008 you can Import and Export the settings.

In the menu bar there is Tools -> Import and Export Settings...

Markus
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
This does not appear to export the Fortran Compiler Options, only the standard ones for Visual Studio.

David
0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I
I also find it anoying that text editing preferences are lost each time I upgrade. I set my default tab size to 3 spaces and after upgrade I get 4 spaces and my code starts to look messy.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I also agree and will ask that this be changed.
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Steve,

Any progress on this? Another Update - Include Path, etc., settings lost yet again.

Thanks,

David
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Sorry for the delay in replying - a forum glitch caused me to miss many new replies to old posts.

There has not been any change made to the install for this so far. It is as annoying for me as it is for you.

What I was thinking of doing was writing a program to save and restore the user settings. Would you use that?
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Steve,

I would be happy to try a backup program. I already use Synchback to backup my machine. Are there particular files I should look at restoring after an upgrade, or is it a matter of restoring items within the settings file, which presumably can change structure?

Thanks,

David
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It's all registry entries, and it sometimes isn't as easy as just saving and restoring. The entries are generally under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\Compilers\Fortran (drop the \Wow6432Node if not on an x64 system) and are specific by version, platform and VS version.
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Steve,

These entries do not include everything stored by the IDE:

Registry setting 120.221\IA32\VSNet2010:

$(IFortInstallDir)compiler\include;$(IFortInstallDir)compiler\include\ia32;$(IFortInstallDir)mkl\include;$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\include;$(VCInstallDir)include;$(WindowsSdkDir)include;$(FrameworkSDKDir)\include;

Taken from VS settings within VS:
$(IFortInstallDir)compiler\include
$(IFortInstallDir)compiler\include\ia32
$(IFortInstallDir)mkl\include
$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\include
$(VCInstallDir)include
$(WindowsSdkDir)include
$(FrameworkSDKDir)\include
C:\Dev\Modules
C:\Program Files\Xeffort\IncludeIVF
C:\Dev\Winyldmd Dev\trunk\ymdphys\Release

It is these last 3 folders that I want to be able to maintain across compiler updates.

Searching Registry, I found them elsewhere:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Intel Fortran\VFToolOpt\120\120.221\IA32_IA32

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You are correct - I was not careful enough in my search. It makes sense that these would be under HKCU.
0 Kudos
jarvusluntatintel
So I have switched computers and I am not looking forward to re-creating all my custom menu bars and all the custom keyboard shortcuts I use.

The automatic import/export settings didn't work and so I found this thread. I'm not clear on the above thread postings. Are there files I can manually copy over (perhaps with the help of my office IT guy)? Or is it still a case of going through all the custom/options by hand?

Edited: Not as bad as I first thought. My custom menu bars were still, I just didn't realize it because there were new menu bars that needed turning off. The tab setting being changed threw me off, it looks like the keyboard shortcuts did import.
0 Kudos